• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hope this works - my first YouTube insert. Those of you who like to hear an acoustic guitar played in a foot-tapping manner will like this. It is called Guitar Shuffle, played by Big Bill Broonzy.

My all time favourite. No one, and I mean NO ONE cones remotely close to his ability to grip an audience. Also a true gentleman, a rarity in the music business. Sat, 14th June, 19 years since his sa

'I Believe' released in 1952 by Elmore James.

Stunning !

Thanks for posting that . Never seen a live version and actually understood some of the words !

I bought the single of that track in the early 60s when Alex Owen Electrical shops had a sale of 45s for 1 shilling each.

They had a massive box of singles they were clearing and they weren't just the usual old tat , there were hundreds of Pye International and other American stuff i.e. Stateside and London label . I would have loved the whole lot but bought as many as I could afford (not many !)

Can't leave out Sonny Boy Williamson and Help Me . My brother said Sonny Boy gave him some harmonica tuition when he went to see him appearing live at the Dungeon .

He also carried a briefcase around and when he opened it , it was just full of harmonicas and 2 bottles of whisky !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKy0pcnJocw

• 4 weeks later...

Lot's of early Blues had lyrics full of sexual innuendo.........................Dust my Broom, I'm a King Bee, Boom Boom ........................

This is 'Broken Wings' from the 1967 LP 'The Blues Alone' by John Mayall. He played all the instruments himself

except percussion which were played by Keef Hartley. It was the first John Mayall record I bought and I still have it today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

'Baby Please Set A Date' by Elmore James, recorded in 1959. I love the slide guitar and he was one of

the best and has been a big influence on many of the top musicians. Keith Richards wrote in his book that

at the time he met Brian Jones, Brian called himself 'Elmo Lewis' and that he wanted to be Elmore James.

Hello Bubblewrap.....I had the original SJH record album at one time....and other than I Put A Spell On You....nothing else stood out at all.

That one song made it for him, and the covers were all good from what I've heard over the years. I'd like to turn you on to what I consider to be a great album...on CD and worth the price. Leslie West "Alligator"...he does a verson of I Put A Spell On You....what ya got in the bag lady (not) like itch but with a B. I never got tired of that album, very rare these days. I met Corky and Leslie a few years ago - great guy - and even shook his hand while he was on stage. The next morning we found ourselves riding on the same train together.