• 1 month later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hope this works - my first YouTube insert. Those of you who like to hear an acoustic guitar played in a foot-tapping manner will like this. It is called Guitar Shuffle, played by Big Bill Broonzy.

My all time favourite. No one, and I mean NO ONE cones remotely close to his ability to grip an audience. Also a true gentleman, a rarity in the music business. Sat, 14th June, 19 years since his sa

'I Believe' released in 1952 by Elmore James.

Love this, his riffs are brilliant. Instantly recognisable .

• Upvote 1

Just tripped over this topic - Fantastic!!!! Thanks to all who posted videos & aural links here, amazing stuff - I never knew you could find this sort of thing on the internet, I really must spend more time on the computer, ha ha!

I've been a fan of the blues ever since I heard John Mayall playing the harmonica-led Parchman Farm on Radio Luxembourg back in 1965-ish when I was 15 years old. I was never a Beatles fan, even though one of my first (but not the first) vivid music memories is "Please, Please me" on a schoolmate's tranny while we were waiting for a bus home from Fairham Comp, Clifton, on a very foggy & cold evening at the top of Southchurch Drive in '63(?).

I was a Stones fan, and therefore had a vague knowledgeof more serious music from their cover versions of some blues classics, but hearing the Mayall track late at night on 208fm was the real turning point.

I love all the old black blues guys except BB King when he went big backing band, and John Lee Hooker, who I regard as a one-trick pony after his first recordings. Have you heard what some of the white band guys say about trying to back him up on his live dates? I have to say that the old Ready Steady Go footage is classic & that's the era when I do like him (Groundhogs were the backing band).

I still have vinyl albums on Marble Arch records by Lightnin' Hopkins, Sonny Boy Williamson, and Howlin' Wolf - my all-time favourite artist. I could listen to Moanin' at Midnight, Smokestack Lightnin', Howlin' for my Darling & Killing Floor non-stop, and often do by programming the CD player to do just that!

Another favourite album is Maxwell Street Jimmy Smith on Oriole label. These vinyl albums were bought from the Vic Market stall that others have mentioned elsewhere on here, and others were Taj Mahal's first 2 albums and an old Alexis Korner album - Live at the Marquee. I still have them all, despite passing my turntable on to my grandson.

I've got very wide musical tastes (except C&W!!!!) but whenever I'm feeling a bit jaded by all my other stuff, it's my blues collection that I turn to - Howlin' Wolf first, then the rest. Loads more to post if you want to hear it!

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This is something different, a busker in Canterbury. He is Johnny Kitt who plays with a band called Boogie Men.

He's singing 'Bad To The Bone' playing blues slide guitar. The dancer is a laugh and you'll be impressed by his dancing moves...lol

There's also some good stuff on the other videos at the end.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'I Got Love If You Want It' was originally the 'A' side to 'I'm A King Bee', released in 1957, and was the first solo recording by Slim Harpo.

However, due to it's popularity, 'I'm A King Bee' was made the 'A' side. When you listen to the music you can see he was a big influence

on The Rolling Stones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

'Sitting At Home Alone' by Hound Dog Taylor & The House Rockers from their 2nd album, 'Natural Boogie', which was released in 1973.

Hound Dog Taylor, who styled himself after the blues legend, Elmore James, died of lung cancer, aged 60, in 1975.

• 2 weeks later...

'Hillside Blues (I Don't Know The Reason Why)' is an out-take from the Rolling Stones 'Exile On Main Street' album from October 1969.

It's a little long but it gives the new Mick Taylor a chance to show us his great blues guitar playing. Taylor took the place of Brian Jones

who'd died in July 1969. The song was never released but there's some great behind the scenes video of the Rolling Stones.

• 5 weeks later...

'I Could've Had Religion' was written by Rory Gallagher. It was released on the 'Live In Europe' album in 1972.

I've been a big fan since seeing him play at the Marquee Club in the 60's. Great blues vocal and excellent slide guitar playing.

• Upvote 2

My all time favourite. No one, and I mean NO ONE cones remotely close to his ability to grip an audience.

Also a true gentleman, a rarity in the music business.

Sat, 14th June, 19 years since his sad passing. Remembered for ever Rory. You were the best !!!!!

• Upvote 2

My ex reckoned he was the best looking rock "star" imaginable. She had good Taste.

I will have to wear a Rory T shirt this weekend.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...