• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hope this works - my first YouTube insert. Those of you who like to hear an acoustic guitar played in a foot-tapping manner will like this. It is called Guitar Shuffle, played by Big Bill Broonzy.

My all time favourite. No one, and I mean NO ONE cones remotely close to his ability to grip an audience. Also a true gentleman, a rarity in the music business. Sat, 14th June, 19 years since his sa

'I Believe' released in 1952 by Elmore James.

Well Im listening to Howlin Wolf naturally !

Saw him at the Boat Club twice

One session was brilliant the other, woozy: he was great but he had a young session band ......

He taught them how to sing the Blues ...he also clapped his hands so the whole band could play the rhythm all at same time

The song: " Three hundred pounds of heavenly joy "

Bluewebbo

• 3 weeks later...

Mick Taylor left the Stones because Keith Richards couldn't stand him and made it very clear. Stones loss, Taylor was the better man!

BTW - Blues from Laurel Canyon was another great Mayall album.

I don't know why but I've not looked on here before. I first started to appreciate the genre in the latter part of the 60's, probably due to listening to John Mayall, Chicken Shack and Fleetwood Mac, 'Red House' by Jimi Hendrix on his first album was one of my favourites at the time, then the style was 'expanded', for want of a better word, by bands like Led Zeppelin and even Canned Heat. I recall when I was working at Minehead Butlins back in the summer of 69, persuading the manager of the local town basement disco to try an alternative music night. I was given the chance and took in my various singles and albums to be confronted by a largely teenage audience who were clearly waiting for me to play their fave current hit 'Sugar Sugar' by the Archies. No chance, I turned up the volume and whacked on 'You Shook Me' by Led Zeppelin, it didn't go down well and the place cleared in seconds!! They didn't even like 'Do Blue Men Sing the Whites' by the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, I didn't last at that job very long.

The first classical old blues singer I saw was Champion Jack Dupree at a very informal gig at Portsmouth Poly also back in 1969. I'd just met a very attractive girl in the disco there and I don't know how it came about but we ended up on stage leaning on his upright piano, I suspect the old boy took a fancy to her and looking back, I don't blame him. I saw Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee a couple of times, once at the Bardney Folk Festival near Lincoln in 1971 and later in the Portland Building at Nottingham University. About 20 years ago I went to see the return of Peter Green with his Splinter Group featuring Cozy Powell at the Leadmill in Sheffield, this was supposed to be his triumphant comeback, but I'm afraid all we got was a shambling, mumbling shadow of his former glorious self, it was very sad to see, he'd clearly lost the plot.

I won't attempt to download from Youtube, but as far as I'm concerned my favourite work of 21st century blues is 'White African' by Otis Taylor, the first two tracks 'My Soul's in Louisiana' and 'Resurrection Blues' are quite stunning, you simply have to turn up the volume and bass for the second track to really appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been watching Reginald D Hunter's Songs of the South on BBC2 over the past few weeks? Slightly cliche-ed in the use of a classic convertible to get about, but apart from that, hugely enjoyable I thought.

Every enjoyable viewing, but no Allman Brothers reference when he visited Georgia.

Having had a very depressing week, and madam watching The Voice, and some garbage about hypnosis, I decided to don my earphones to cheer me up. Yes, I know it sounds weird, blues to cheer me up, but it worked.

I played Soulshine by the Allman Brothers, I'll be holding on by Gregg Allman, and Mountain Cry by Blues Traveler and Gregg Allman.

Played them repeatedly, and many more too.

It worked, I've been cheery all day....... Up to now anyway. LOL

• Upvote 2

Yesterday afternoon, I watched two progs I'd recorded from BBC4 on Friday night about Irish Rock Music, and Irish Rock at the BBC.

Some good footage of Thin Lizzy, Them, Horselips but particularly the late great Rory Gallagher.

Get it on Catch Up if poss.

• 2 weeks later...