Digging around in a box in the garage came across this, caught in a flap of cardboard all on it's own. I know exactly where it is - Summers Street, but not sure of the date. That's Waterway Street at the far end, the junction with Annesley Street if I remember correctly. Any ideas as to when?

SummersSt.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yes, late '60's would make sense. Heavy into photography then, and had just returned from overseas with the RAF, complete with new duty-free Pentax. The cars in the photo have just six digit number plates. Didn't they go to seven digits in the late '60's?

The van 'Hobart' unless there was a Nottingham firm of that name might be a German manufacturer of food processing machinery.

I worked on a sausage meat chopper made by them for the Coop in the 60s. Maybe Pork Farm would use them as well?

I am pretty sure that it was Hobart's who had premises with large plate glass display windows on Arkwright Street, on a corner which could have been Summers Street. I recall them displaying food processing and industrial weighing machinery.

In the late 60's I had to measure the glass windows for the purpose of insuring them against breakage.

Yes, late '60's would make sense. Heavy into photography then, and had just returned from overseas with the RAF, complete with new duty-free Pentax. The cars in the photo have just six digit number plates. Didn't they go to seven digits in the late '60's?

The first "A" reg cars were in August 1963(I think) so with the three letters,three numbers & the "A" you would have your seven digits.

The "A" registration suffix was available to councils and used (not by all) from Feb 1963. The suffix changed annually on January 1st until 1967..

The "F" plate suffix was introduced in August 1967 and the change remained in August until late 1990's.

That model Ford Anglia 105E was produced between 59 and 68 and I think that the number plates are 6 digit; 3 numbers followed by 3 letters. Your other cars in the background, the Bedford (52-69), the Rover (49-64), the Hillman (56-67) do not really help but, the Mini could narrow the year to the 60s since the grille was an updated feature around 65 (?). The car immediately behind the Mini looks very similar to the rear end of a Morris 1100 from 62 although Wolseley, Riley, and others brought out a similar shaped model during 62-63. Models of vehices probably will not help.

As stated quite correctly by Bubblewrap and littlebro, the first number plates with a letter A suffix were in 63, B for 64 and C for 65 but once again, not all councils adopted this system straightaway. What we do know is that the number plates 1 AAA to 999 YYY were in use in the 50s to early 60s before the change. This knowledge still does not assist in dating the photograph as the two cars displaying visible registration (192 RTV & 181 RRR???) plates could have been registered prior to 63 and the photograph could have been taken in 65. Number plates probably will not help.

However, if you check out the date on the newspaper lying in the gutter, you will find it is Sunday the 20th of August 1966 and the article is about Forest losing to Stoke City 2-1

Probably the reason why everybody threw their papers away that morning! slywink

• Upvote 1

I am pretty sure that it was Hobart's who had premises with large plate glass display windows on Arkwright Street, on a corner which could have been Summers Street. I recall them displaying food processing and industrial weighing machinery.

You're right, I am fairly certain Hobart's were on the corner of Summers Street and Arkwright Street, top right heading up. Windows full of industrial catering machinery. Used to be a really good chippy on the opposite corner.

Couldn't have been August 1966 Trevor S, as I was down the Gulf with the RAF then. Didn't get back until round about Easter 1967. :smile:

We'll Be Friends Until We Are Old and Senile. Then We'll Be NEW Friends!

One of the advantages of Alzheimers is that you get to hide your own Easter eggs.

Couldn't have been August 1966 Trevor S, as I was down the Gulf with the RAF then. Didn't get back until round about Easter 1967. :smile:

Must have been old papers thrown out and blowing in the wind. Incidentally, my post was a tad late for entry on the 1st. slywink

One of the advantages of Alzheimers is that you get to hide your own Easter eggs.

The big disadvantage is remembering where you hid them.

Seriously , alisoncc, did you take the photograph??

Trevor S, I'd like to own the numberplate '1 AAA' now (#8), it would be worth a fortune.

MB, Checking with a couple of number plate auction rooms, it is obvious that they would bring big money if you could find them. It is estimated that if 1 A or A 1 came on the open market, there would be a 5 million pound sterling return at auction!!

Seriously , alisoncc, did you take the photograph??

Sure did. Not only that was dragged up in the house with the marooney colour front, above the mini's left wing mirror. The shop was run by the Parry's, then next door were the Luptons, then us, then the Tootins. Advantage of the cobbled streets was that you could have a bonfire on November the 5th without melting the bitumen. One bonfire night it got a bit close to the Parry's shop and caused all their windows to crack. They weren't too impressed.

The Luptons kept ferrets and used to throw an occasional rabbit over the back fence. Used to walk down Queens Drive, cross 'Apenny bridge, and then along the river heading west. This was before they built the very first Clifton Bridge. There were a lot of rabbits along there, saw the Luptons at it on one occasion. I have a vague recollection of actually having to pay the toll on the bridge - it was sometimes known as the Toll Bridge. most prob was just an 'apenny though.

Pulled back the cardboard in the box and found another slide. Apologies for the condition.

It's a photo of, what was then, Queens Walk Primary and Junior Schools. The primary school entrance was on Brierley St, and the junior on Kinglake St. Went to both before Mundella. Queens Bridge Road was a bit like a service road that ran parallel to Queens Drive. The building behind the Beetle was probably one of Jesse Boot's first factories - on the corner of Kinglake Street and Queens Bridge Road.

At some point in time the schools were renamed Welbeck Primary and Junior Schools. That's before they pulled them down.

queenswalkschool.jpg

As to the reference as to how old I was - I first attended Queens Walk Primary School in 1949.

This is the Reccie - for the pedantic recreational area, to the left of the school in previous. Us kids used to get up to lots of mischief there. Top right there was creche for littlies. Top left was St Georges Church?? on Kirkwhite Street, and behind the hedge middle left were a couple of lawn bowls greens.

reccie.jpg

I am sure there are millions of Slab Square, but here's another circa 1967. Definitely '67, as I came back from the Gulf in March '67 and by January '68 had sold all my cameras to raise the cash to purchase my discharge from the air force.

slabsquare.jpg

Nice one...keep 'em coming.I used to have a cardboard box too crammed with photos...but I had a Mother who's mission in life was to tidy up and throw away 'clutter' resulting in a total lack of anything to bring back memories.

That is the $64,000 question - if she knew that there would presumably be no further debate about what year it was taken. :)

And precisely the reason why I asked the question, Mr Ford. :tease:

Now the date of the photograph in question has been narrowed by alisoncc to the period between March 67 and January 68.

Posted a link to this in the Mundella School area, but thought it would be worth posting here to.

It was my favourite stopping place enroute home from school. The public library on the corner of Wilford Grove and Wilford Crescent, in that center of excellence - The Medders..

library.jpg

Haven't had any "Wow, I remember that"'s yet. I was definitely not the only person who lived in the area. There wuz thousands.

Alison,

Thank you. I was brought up on Woolmer Road and often went to the library. It has recently been refurbished and I had a nosey in

last year as they had a lot of old photograhs of what it was like years ago. Across the road was old Dr Coopers surgery ( the surgery

is still in use )

Kind regards

Tony

Dr Cooper was my doctor and I spent many a happy hour in that library.

When Alison took these photographs she did not realise their importance.

How many others are there out there?

Alison,

Thank you. I was brought up on Woolmer Road and often went to the library. It has recently been refurbished and

Well I'll go to the bottom of our stairs. It is still there. Had a look using google earth street view. I thought that whole of the Medders had been flattened, and rebuilt, but there are still bits around - magic. My photo goes back some 46 years - 1967. Never thought to take a wander around using GE street view. Used it a lot of other places where I have lived, but never previously back in the Medders. WOW.

When Alison took these photographs she did not realise their importance.

How many others are there out there?

A similar point was made at an Arnold Local History Group meeting I attended recently. Often it's the case that people have taken pictures of friends and relatives and there are some interesting scenes in the background. The group recently came by a large stash of photographs held by the Ernehale School in Arnold and has the task of sifting through them and hopefully find stuff of local historical interest. Some pics were shown as an example of the demolition of Thackerys Lane railway bridge which were from a private collection and would not have been available to public viewing otherwise.

When you think about individual's personal photograph collections there is a huge historical and resource out there in people's homes tucked away.