What did happen to Mundella?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My granny was at Mundella soon after it had been built.  She was born 1898 so was probably a pupil around 1908-1912, assuming she left at 14 as was the norm back then.   She’s on this photo, 3rd row u

I went to Mundella in the last years I left in 1983.  In 1975 the school became a comprehensive. The year I started there were only 4 years of pupils, the fifth year were the last of grammar sc

That would be Trent Bridge Boys school where my dad went that closed a long time ago. There were two Trent Bridge schools right next door to each other. The one closer to the playing fields was the ol

Yes its an excellent site of which I was aware.

I was interested in the politics of it closing?

I have no connection with Mundella, I went to Trent Bridge across the road.

Maybe I'm asking a daft question, so forgive me. But was Mundella on the same site as the Becket School or have I got my bearings completely wrong???

Yes, your bearings are questionable :)

Mundella was near the embankment; as this states - Mundella Road/Collygate Road.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM018912&prevUrl=

Becket was at the bottom end of Wilford Lane (although you could probably see Mundella from Becket - it was straight across the river)

As this demonstrates.....

beck.jpg

Maybe I'm asking a daft question, so forgive me. But was Mundella on the same site as the Becket School or have I got my bearings completely wrong???

What an abhorrent question. Wash your mouth out immediately with carbolic.

Currently of the age when decades run into each other, so not sure when I took these. Those of a weak disposition, and who believed that Mundella Grammar School represented the absolute peak of British educational establishments should now look away. Sad sob, sob.

Mundella boarded up and waiting demolition.

mundella1.jpg

mundella2.jpg

I must have spent thousands of my childhood hours here - the public library on the corner of Wilford Grove and Wilford Crescent, walking back home from school. Worzel Gummidge where are you now when I need you.

library.jpg.

I went to Becket, we used to meet Mundella girls in the Memorial gardens at lunchtimes.........................for a quick fag!! .................I think that's how you spell it

When were you at Becket,Paulus. I had a friend from junior school(Pete Coffee) went there in 1951. An amazing chap. Highly gifted,good mind ,beautiful singing voice, tough as nails,good fighter. Was too tough for the monks/priests to handle so was `demoted' to Mundella across the river!

Later became a leader of the race riots in Nottingham in St. Anns in 1958. Wonder what happened to him in later life.

When was the beginning of the end for Mundella and why?

Mick ,it all started when the Labour party decided to abolish the only chance the working class had to `better' themselves.

Circular 10/65 was a government circular issued in 1965 by the Department of Education and Science (DES) requesting Local Education Authorities (LEAs) in England and Wales to begin converting their secondary schools to the Comprehensive System. For most of England and Wales, it marked the abolition of the old grammar schools and secondary moderns, and the Eleven Plus examination. Circular 10/65 was the initiative of recently appointed Education Secretary Anthony Crosland; it is sometimes called the Crosland Circular. It reflected the Labour government's view that the existing Tripartite System of education was flawed, and had to be replaced with comprehensive schools, which had been increasing in number over the previous sixteen years

In July 1958 the Labour leader Hugh Gaitskell formally abandoned the Tripartite system, calling for "grammar-school education for all".[9] The party's fiercest opponent of the Grammar school was Gaitskell's protégé, Anthony Crosland.

Secondary education in the UK has not been thoroughly overhauled since 1944, and today seems to be a complex mixture of the Tripartite System and the Comprehensive.

The Thatcher government allowed selection once again in 1979, and it has been used increasingly by individual schools eager to choose the best pupils.

In conclusion: Today, no formal attempts are being made to restore the Tripartite System, but the perceived failure of the Comprehensive System led the Blair/Brown government to propose "Beacon Schools", "Advanced Schools" and an "escalator" or "ladder" of schools.

Apologies Alison. Thanks for posting the images. Is the library building still there???

Becket were our arch enemies. We use to do cross-country runs, round passed the Memo gardens, across Spenii and then turned right along the path passed Becket. Where we would throw anything that came to hand over their fence. Then along to a new school just recently built, names on the tip of my tongue - Deering perhaps??

Had a look on google earth for the library, look like it's long gone, along with all the surrounding streets. Didn't the whole of the Medders get flattened ?

Alison

The library is still there. Also the doctors on the left

meadowslibrary_zps7d4c4729.jpg

Also the off licence on corner of the old Wilford Crescent West.

wilfordcreswest_zpsf6d26fe3.jpg

When were you at Becket,Paulus. I had a friend from junior school(Pete Coffee) went there in 1951. An amazing chap. Highly gifted,good mind ,beautiful singing voice, tough as nails,good fighter. Was too tough for the monks/priests to handle so was `demoted' to Mundella across the river!

Later became a leader of the race riots in Nottingham in St. Anns in 1958. Wonder what happened to him in later life.

Stan, I'm just a young whippersnapper, went to Becket from 62 to 66

• 3 years later...

I went to Mundella in the last years I left in 1983. 

In 1975 the school became a comprehensive. The year I started there were only 4 years of pupils, the fifth year were the last of grammar school pupils, 

Basically what happened was in the early eighties a number of schools within Nottingham were merged and 3 new schools were created. In Mundella's case in 1984 it was merged with Roland Green across the river and became Wilford Meadows for a couple of years. All pupils transferred to the Wilford site and the Mundella building was closed and demolished. a housing development was built in its place.  

Due to poor results the school was closed a few years later. It has now been reopened in 2002 as  The Nottingham Emmanuel School is a coeducational Church of England secondary school and sixth form with academy status on the site of the old Roland Green School. The pupils used the old buildings for the next 6 years until the new buildings were completed. Their uniform is still  maroon and gold. Emmanuel still retains house system and the houses are represented by colours: Red, Blue, Yellow and Green instead of places Thorsby, Hardwick, Welbeck and Wollaton. 

The old war memorial which stood in the lower hall is now on the back wall of St Mary's Church in the city.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Trent Bridge School was also merged with Roland Green, therefore Trent Bridge merged with "Monkeydella" (Sorry)

Nah yer wunt want us ruffians, would ya?

Trent Bridge was a Junior school I went there before I went to Mundella. I understand that the school became Trent Bridge Primary and Nursery School  I believe it closed around 2003 and the buildings demolished in 2005

Both Mundella and Emmanuel had pupils from the age of 11

Trent Bridge was not merged with Wilford Meadows, I believe it was Arkwright Junior and Meadows Primary that were eventually merged with Trent Bridge Juniors.

I am talking about Trent Bridge Secondary School, which closed first.

After my time but the name 'Roland Green North' comes to mind?