What did happen to Mundella?

That would be Trent Bridge Boys school where my dad went that closed a long time ago. There were two Trent Bridge schools right next door to each other. The one closer to the playing fields was the old Boys school which became virtually a warehouse for the council and the other was thejunior school. both sites were cleared to make way for a carbon free housing area.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My granny was at Mundella soon after it had been built.  She was born 1898 so was probably a pupil around 1908-1912, assuming she left at 14 as was the norm back then.   She’s on this photo, 3rd row u

I went to Mundella in the last years I left in 1983.  In 1975 the school became a comprehensive. The year I started there were only 4 years of pupils, the fifth year were the last of grammar sc

That would be Trent Bridge Boys school where my dad went that closed a long time ago. There were two Trent Bridge schools right next door to each other. The one closer to the playing fields was the ol

The girls School was at the back of TB Juniors. It merged with TB Boys about 1965.

The class names changed from 

'1a' 1st year Clever

and

'1B' not so clever

to

'2m2' 2nd year, Mixed not so clever

I started Trent Bridge Juniors in 1974 by then it was a mixed school I was in 1P

First & second years were in the front building on Green Street and the third & fourth years in the building behind. The buildings were separated from the old boys school which seemed like an old dumping ground for stuff from the council and other schools

I remember the short stretch of railings between the Juniors and Seniors where they got you for ' the rack '. Barstewards got me one day, pulled me arms through but instead of racking, the dirty boggers all gobbed on me. As they were doing it, Bill Baines suddenly appeared and went ballistic, 'go and wait by my office' he bellowed at them. Hope they all got a good thrashing.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, it does look a bit grim. Yet, I spent some great years in that building. The field in foreground would have been built up in later years, to provide space for the quadrangle and then the science block.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2017 at 1:26 AM, Chris P said:

I went to Mundella in the last years I left in 1983.

Young whippersnapper. Shouldn't you still be at school?  :laugh:   Went to Mundella in 1955. Rev Calder was bossman and Barton Hart was our form master in 3rd form.

Alison

On 3/28/2017 at 10:17 AM, Cliff Ton said:

The low-level angle of the photo makes the place look like some kind of fortress or workhouse. Or maybe that's the intention.

mundella1_zpsjyhicc7m.jpg

It was an impressive building the archetecture was imposing and very Victoria but still exceptionally solidly built. Such a pity it was demolished and sold to building firm who created matchbox sized houses

• 1 year later...
On 3/7/2017 at 2:26 PM, Chris P said:

I went to Mundella in the last years I left in 1983. 

In 1975 the school became a comprehensive. The year I started there were only 4 years of pupils, the fifth year were the last of grammar school pupils, 

Basically what happened was in the early eighties a number of schools within Nottingham were merged and 3 new schools were created. In Mundella's case in 1984 it was merged with Roland Green across the river and became Wilford Meadows for a couple of years. All pupils transferred to the Wilford site and the Mundella building was closed and demolished. a housing development was built in its place.  

Due to poor results the school was closed a few years later. It has now been reopened in 2002 as  The Nottingham Emmanuel School is a coeducational Church of England secondary school and sixth form with academy status on the site of the old Roland Green School. The pupils used the old buildings for the next 6 years until the new buildings were completed. Their uniform is still  maroon and gold. Emmanuel still retains house system and the houses are represented by colours: Red, Blue, Yellow and Green instead of places Thorsby, Hardwick, Welbeck and Wollaton. 

When did they change the house names?. In my day, they were Newstead, Welbeck, Hardwick and Chatsworth. And what was the reason behind it?

When did you attend Mundella, Waddo? It was Welbeck, Wollaton, Thoresby and Hardwick at least since the 1940s.

Actually, just having a quick shufti on the website seems to be at least '20s....

My granny was at Mundella soon after it had been built.  She was born 1898 so was probably a pupil around 1908-1912, assuming she left at 14 as was the norm back then.   She’s on this photo, 3rd row up, 2nd from the right.   

18-EED16-C-7-B2-F-4700-8586-D628-DA5-FD4

• Like 5
9 hours ago, TBI said:

When did you attend Mundella, Waddo? It was Welbeck, Wollaton, Thoresby and Hardwick at least since the 1940s.

Actually, just having a quick shufti on the website seems to be at least '20s....

I didn't go to mundella! I went to Roland green which eventually became that Emanuel thing. As I read the thread, I believed it to be about Roland green.

4 hours ago, LizzieM said:

My granny was at Mundella soon after it had been built.  She was born 1898 so was probably a pupil around 1908-1912, assuming she left at 14 as was the norm back then.   She’s on this photo, 3rd row up, 2nd from the right.   

18-EED16-C-7-B2-F-4700-8586-D628-DA5-FD4

That's certainly a wonderful photo, Lizzie. It took me a little while to figure where it was taken...in front of the south-west corner annexe, the woodwork room roof just visible on the left. Mundella was a mixed school from the outset, so I'm wondering if that picture was an all-girls class in the early years or a club/society/team of some sort. They look a very smart lot and the very dapper man I presume is the teacher. As you say, children usually left school at 14 before WW1 but I'm not sure if it was later if they were perhaps studying for further education.

2 hours ago, Waddo said:

I didn't go to mundella! I went to Roland green which eventually became that Emanuel thing. As I read the thread, I believed it to be about Roland green.

Sorry, Waddo. Yes, reading back, the thread did seem to get a bit confusing.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 1/5/2019 at 5:42 PM, TBI said:

Lol...at least you got your own right..I was in Wollaton (red)..Hardwick was yellow and Thoresby green.

I also was in Wollaton (red) 1973-1978. Mundella was indeed fortress looking and really felt like it inside also. Ineffective heating - scorched if by rad and cold if seated elsewhere-facilites like toilets updated in 1975 from cold, old outdoors versions in sheds across the yard. The Upper Hall (middle row of windows on main school pic) had to be converted to classrooms in 1960's to cover pupil numbers, though the Lower Hall on ground floor remained it was way too small hence new hall and science block had to also be built 1960's.

I was taught in prefab classrooms in 1st year and again in 4th year -each with a burner like a garden Chimnea of present day  at the back( which we regularly got detention for burning items on - great fun though. Not sure about happy days but have lots of memories. It was definitely time for it to GO however. 

cheers, RoseQueen 

Mundella was one of the options when I passed the 11 plus in 1969.  I deemed it was too far away for travelling to and from on a daily basis.

Some of those from Berridge Juniors who, likewise, passed the 11 plus did opt for Mundella but none of the girls chose it. If I remember correctly, the boys were John Heawood, Trevor Huddlestone, Colin Hudson, Kenneth Smith and Christopher Fox.

I visited Mundella on a couple of occasions during my time at Manning as the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music theory exams were held there.  I seem to remember walking across a bridge-like structure with windows on either side.  Although I only visited the examination room, Mundella was clearly a far more extensive building and site than Manning.

On 7/13/2020 at 9:55 PM, RoseQueen said:

The Upper Hall (middle row of windows on main school pic) had to be converted to classrooms in 1960's to cover pupil numbers, though the Lower Hall on ground floor remained it was way too small hence new hall and science block had to also be built 1960's

Distinct memories of all the honour boards in the upper hall. Listing all the scholars of the school who had died in both the Great War and the Second. Vague memories of Remembrance Day assemblies when the names of those who had died in WWII were read out. In the 1950's much of what had happened was still very fresh.  Hey, we still had rationing.

Alison

• 9 months later...

Mundella closed in 1984 after being open for 98 years and merged with Roland Green to become Wilford Meadows which has since subsequently shut and reopened as Nottingham Emmanuel school.

The site was on Colygate road and faced the meadows playing fields.

In the late 80s the school was demolished with the exception of the former school library, the site was turned into housing and the library is now the Meadows Muslim Centre.

Beckett school was across the river near Roland Green, and that too has been demolished and rebuilt and now shares the site next to Nottingham Emmanuel School and the tram runs alongside the two schools

• Like 1
On 7/18/2020 at 6:33 AM, alisoncc said:

Distinct memories of all the honour boards in the upper hall. Listing all the scholars of the school who had died in both the Great War and the Second. Vague memories of Remembrance Day assemblies when the names of those who had died in WWII were read out. In the 1950's much of what had happened was still very fresh.  Hey, we still had rationing.

Alison

That honour board is now in St Marys Church at Lace Market