Does anybody remember this company. I am sure this is where my father worked in the 1960's until it closed.

Name of Company: WILL PERKINS (TOBACCO)
LIMITED.
Nature of Business: WHOLESALE AND RETAIL
TOBACCONISTS.
Address of Registered Office: 3 Fletcher Gate,
Nottingham.
Liquidator's Name and Address: Edward Dainitry
London, 'Chartered Accountant, Bentinck Buildings,
Wheeler Gate, Nottingham, NG1 2NP.
Date of Appointment: 27th August 1969.
By whom Appointed: Members and Creditors. (4

44 minutes ago, West Bridgfordian said:

Does anybody remember this company. I am sure this is where my father worked in the 1960's until it closed.

Name of Company: WILL PERKINS (TOBACCO) LIMITED.  Nature of Business: WHOLESALE AND RETAIL TOBACCONISTS.

I don't remember it, but it would've been approximately where the "Element" shop now is.

ZO3wv4a.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ian, I knew Boneham and Turner very well, that imposing factory façade was on Nottingham Road as you headed out of Mansfield towards Nottingham.

Famous for their precision engineered drill and jig bushes, dowel pins, clamping and locating components. I had many mates that worked there and this year they have been in business for 100 years. I believe that they are now located in Sutton in Ashfield.

• Like 1

Anyone recall printers called Priestl(e)y & Swan(n). It was behind Peter's church  - quite a large firm, apparently. My dad worked there in the '50's - early '60's until he was diagnosed as being allergic to printing ink.

I remember he used to bring home conkers in the autumn picked up from the churchyard.

• 9 months later...

I have a relative who was a Nottingham lace maker and worked for a while in the lace market can’t remember which factory though. He was a bit dismissive of some of the more modern Nottingham lace saying that it wasn’t as it wasn’t made of the right yarn. I have some beautiful lace that he gave me which is wrapped up and kept in a drawer as I don’t have much use for table clothes. Shame really.

• 2 years later...
On 3/3/2018 at 9:39 PM, West Bridgfordian said:

LIMITED.
TOBACCONISTS.
Nottingham.

This was my Grandfathers business he was Herbert Perkins. His father was George William Hemsley Perkins and it was his father George James Perkins who first started the business in the late 1800s! Herbert passed away in 1966. His son Barry took over the business but it fell into bankruptcy. My father may remember your father if he worked there. I just happened upon this thread whilst doing some research for family tree!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Milly73 said:

This was my Grandfathers business he was Herbert Perkins. His father was George William Hemsley Perkins and it was his father George James Perkins who first started the business in the late 1800s! Herbert passed away in 1966. His son Barry took over the business but it fell into bankruptcy. My father may remember your father if he worked there. I just happened upon this thread whilst doing some research for family tree!

Thanks for the history of the Company.

I reckon my father worked there many years. As a young child he would take me with him whilst travelling through Lincolnshire and the coast (Skegness etc.)

I was thirteen when he left (made redundant?) in 1967.

My father went on to manage a newsagents in Bingham for a few monghs before he bought his own shop in Aspley in '68.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, West Bridgfordian said:

Thanks for the history of the Company.

I reckon my father worked there many years. As a young child he would take me with him whilst travelling through Lincolnshire and the coast (Skegness etc.)

I was thirteen when he left (made redundant?) in 1967.

My father went on to manage a newsagents in Bingham for a few monghs before he bought his own shop in Aspley in '68.

Was your father's name Bill? My father remembers a Bill who was traveller for Will Perkins tobacconist. He remembers him well. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Milly73 said:

Was your father's name Bill? My father remembers a Bill who was traveller for Will Perkins tobacconist. He remembers him well. 

Yes, his name was Bill.

He passed away many years ago, 1978.

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2013 at 2:13 PM, sneintongal said:

Does anyone have memories of the lace market factories,i had a uncle that worked in the cutting room at birkins,down in the dungeon(sorry cellar)i used to pop in to see him on my dinner break,i worked as a postie oh i thought it was awful,no windows,or air con i even would have a cuppa with some of the other workers and it was all the same noisy and very hot,the girls would go for a crafty fag in the toilets,i was trying to remember some of the othe factories,shortens,brooks,michelsons,mostly along stoney street,hollowstone,memory fading,anyone help

Hi Sneintongal, I have got great memories of the dungeon I worked in the basement of an optical company on St Marys Gate and lived in Sneinton for many years ..happy days 

2 hours ago, Red Dog said:

Long shot I know but does anybody remember a company called ALTAIR OPTICAL it was situated on  St Marys Gate just next to the old loading bay ?

I didn't know it, but after a bit of digging around I reckon it may have been here, with the loading bay to the left.   https://goo.gl/maps/2cx6TiKQduzyY8D79

• 11 months later...
On 3/3/2018 at 9:39 PM, West Bridgfordian said:

LIMITED.
TOBACCONISTS.
Nottingham.

YES! My great great grandfather is Will Perkins... 

• Upvote 1