It's close to the wall, as I remember, and about 3 inches wide by about 12 feet long but it's been a long time since I saw it last. I suspect that it may still be there.

There is something Cliff..it has straps connected to the pavement.. Could have been half inched by now.

Nope... I couldn't find it either on Broadway using that Maps Link.

Surely there is someone who knows of it, where it is or If, Why and How could it have been allowed to be removed.

It's probably been removed, and weighed in by gippo's.

Does anyone remember Byard's factory in the Lace Market?

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:59 PM, iandawson said:

My relation Dennis Stanniforth does Lace Market Council tours..you could try him?

Have you got a Link to the Council site he can be found on please?

Not really Rob..you could try greens windmill I think they know him..he used to owns Dens MKT on the Dale..Benjamin might recall it?

Saw him two years ago in a green blazer and an Aussie hat doing a tour...when I'm over I'll have a scout 'round.

Although this image is the late 1920s,there was a Carter Gate Pottery Works going back to the 18th century.. Examples fetch a high price.

Anyone have knowledge of such a place?

Ian.

Just out of interest, does anyone know what the Ad Lib night club was before, and when it became a night club?

Does anybody remember this company. I am sure this is where my father worked in the 1960's until it closed.

Name of Company: WILL PERKINS (TOBACCO)
LIMITED.
Nature of Business: WHOLESALE AND RETAIL
TOBACCONISTS.
Address of Registered Office: 3 Fletcher Gate,
Nottingham.
Liquidator's Name and Address: Edward Dainitry
London, 'Chartered Accountant, Bentinck Buildings,
Wheeler Gate, Nottingham, NG1 2NP.
Date of Appointment: 27th August 1969.
By whom Appointed: Members and Creditors. (4

44 minutes ago, West Bridgfordian said:

Does anybody remember this company. I am sure this is where my father worked in the 1960's until it closed.

Name of Company: WILL PERKINS (TOBACCO) LIMITED.  Nature of Business: WHOLESALE AND RETAIL TOBACCONISTS.
Address of Registered Office: 3 Fletcher Gate,

I don't remember it, but it would've been approximately where the "Element" shop now is.

ZO3wv4a.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone recall Boneham &  Turner? I dated a Daughter of the boss in the 80's...nearly went down the aisle. Best place for a Clevis Pin. Peveril might know 'em.nottingham-road-1980s.jpg

Ian, I knew Boneham and Turner very well, that imposing factory façade was on Nottingham Road as you headed out of Mansfield towards Nottingham.

Famous for their precision engineered drill and jig bushes, dowel pins, clamping and locating components. I had many mates that worked there and this year they have been in business for 100 years. I believe that they are now located in Sutton in Ashfield.

• Like 1

We seem to have found common ground Tom..think the company are in Kirkby now?Shirley_B_T003a.jpg

• Like 1

Perhaps Cliff could split this thread please as i put the subject in the wrong place..sorry..ian

"British jobs for British workers" we'll not see their like again unfortunately

Rog

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, plantfit said:

"British jobs for British workers" we'll not see their like again unfortunately

Unfortunately too true and in that era they were probably made on British made machine tools such as Ward Capstan and Turret lathes, Archdale drills and mills, James Butler slotters, Churchill or Jones and Shipman cylindrical and surface grinders. Dean, Smith and Grace centre lathes, Newall jig borers,           J. Parkinson (Parkson) milling machines.

For Ian123 they are on Oddicroft Industrial Estate in Sutton in Ashfield

• Like 1

Anyone recall printers called Priestl(e)y & Swan(n). It was behind Peter's church  - quite a large firm, apparently. My dad worked there in the '50's - early '60's until he was diagnosed as being allergic to printing ink.

I remember he used to bring home conkers in the autumn picked up from the churchyard.

40 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Boneham & Turners first factory on Duke St.

Fantastic photos Ian, well done to find them.

It must have been a bugger to wheel that trolley on the uneven flagstone floor.

Was it Duke Street in Mansfield? If so it was one of many streets demolished when they put in the inner ring road.

• Like 1

Yes Oz..duh! I never thought about the inner ring rd.

My family on my Fathers side has connections with this area ..woodhouse and Eaves.

I will try and dig some more stuff up.

Rob Bettridge might be interested in this Bump. I knew when grotting around the Lace Market as kids..especially on a Sunday- we got up to no good as young youths do...i had spotted this once or twice.62027.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgThis is where the entrance to the Lace Market began. Thus denoting Mr.T I Birkins land and factory, 1854.

• Like 1