How do. I was born back in 1969 and for 2 years lived in Beeston before moving to Mapperley in the very early seventies. Spent most of my life there until I moved to Germany for a while. Now I'm back in Mapperley again (not so great!). Spent my childhood around Woodthorpe Park or down at Carlton Forum or Elliott Durham pool (now gone!) . Went to Bluecoat School in the early 80s and had jobs everywhere from Alfreton Road to Sandiacre. Forest and Panthers fan.

How do Mapperley Man...Ive got to say it but the term Mapperley Man conjures up a vision of someone in a strait jacket....lol.....hope thats not you......welcome aboard.

• Upvote 1

How do Mapperley Man...Ive got to say it but the term Mapperley Man conjures up a vision of someone in a strait jacket....lol.....hope thats not you......welcome aboard.

I actually went in the hospital more than once back in the day for various reasons but never saw anyone in a strait jacket. They mostly sat around in huge rooms that were overheated watching big heavy old TVs that were in the corner. That is to say they stared into space whilst the TV was on! Anyway, whilst I'm somewhat unconventional I've never yet been diagnosed as mad. With all the changes to the hospital grounds in the last couple of decades there will be people growing up now who don't associate Mapperley with madness anymore!

It is some years since I was in that area.

Is Mapperley hospital flats now?

It's still used by the health service as part of the NHS Trust, Mick. Been in there in a working capacity on several occasions in recent times.

Generally speaking of this thread, it's a great pity to label people unfortunately suffering with mental health problems as 'mad'.

It is some years since I was in that area.

Is Mapperley hospital flats now?

The whole area has been changed now. A lot of the land surrounding (and it really was a massive site) was sold to developers and turned into an upscale housing estate called City Heights. The hospital itself is now some kind of admin HQ for the health service although I think there may still be some small scale mental health unit there. Not sure to be honest. In any case, the many mentally ill folk that used to wander round Mapperley in the 70s and 80s seem to have all but disappeared. No more old boys in pee stained trousers waiting for chips on Mapperley Top!

It's still used by the health service as part of the NHS Trust, Mick. Been in there in a working capacity on several occasions in recent times.

Generally speaking of this thread, it's a great pity to label people unfortunately suffering with mental health problems as 'mad'.

Understand what are saying Stu but you should be aware I have visited my own relatives in Mapperley Hospital in the late 70s/early 80s. Some of the people there would be accurately described by such a term even if it offends PC sensibilities. Anyone who lived in Mapperley through that time could tell you multiple stories of people they met in the the street, at the shops, etc, who were not displaying what we might call normal behaviour.

Welcome to this forum, Mapperley Man, note you are another hockey fan so good to see that.

Please don't level the 'pc' stuff at me though as I am not in any way offended. I do work in mental health though and I am also aware of different notions of 'normal'. I've also been regularly around the Mapperley area for a long time and am aware of some of the patients previously in Mapperley Hospital and their behaviours. I've also visited friends who found themselves being cared for in there.

People will choose to use whatever language they want, that is their choice as it is mine. I'll not label people with mental health problems as 'mad'. No offence intended.

Hi Mapperly man

I remember recently carrying out a survey on yhe lightning protection systems on the new and old parts of the hospital which in recent years have been developed into flats. The only part I could see that still remained original is the large chapel, its a shame the developersdid not include within ttheir developement budget funds to repair ramshqckle brickwork and vandal damaged stained glass windows.

The hospital always used to make me uneasy. My Aunt was incarcerated there in the late 40's because she suffered from epilepsy, and for the vast majority of the rest of her life up until the early 2000's when she passed away, was institutionalised in various parts of the country finishing up in Maghull, Liverpool.

It is today unbelievable to think that because she suffered from epilepsy she was consigned to a life of institutionalisation and drug dependency for over 60 years.

That is absolutely Dreadful that such a malady could be treated a a mental illness and for so long.

I do remember seeing someone suffering an attack when I was a small boy and it being a very frightening experience, so can understand the ignorance all those years ago..