Underwear, Knitwear & Associated Companies

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mother was a smocker (spelling) at Bairnswear bottom of Perry Road. in the same large room were the machinists. When they were going full tilt no one could hear a word said however all the ladies coul

If it was up to men to buy their own underwear all the Small sizes would remain on the shelves

Mother worked at Bairnswear on the junction of Nottingham Rd and Perry Rd as a smocker. I can remember very well going to see her at work on occasions in the 50s. One abiding memory is that the machi

Great pic, cliff ton, love to know what year that was,never new there was a body of water there,certainly it was the site of Spray and Burgess but another company name keeps coming to mind 'Percy Andrews' getting myself confused now.

Also where the water is i remember 'Marshalls' the haulage company which was there prior to the 'Morrisons' being built.

Ah and just remember,Sankeys the plant pot firm were also there in the 50s,i would guess the pic.is also early 50s?

• 8 months later...

Can anyone remember pullfreys in Carlton ?i worked there for a few years as did my aunt,when I had my kids I did outdoor work for them,they made all sorts,girdles,blouses,and some strange items called soxy boots that you wore over your shoes to look like boots.the factory is now derelict I think .

Can anyone recall Spray and Burgass, dyers and finishers? They had a factories in Bulwell, Colwick and Basford. I started work there in 1961, my first job.

My husband worked at spray and burgass for years,I think they changed the name a few times over the years,colwick dyers ?basford dyers ? Maybe you knew him ?

Not seen any mention of Robert Shaw? This was just off the bottom of Aspley Lane, Bobbers Mill end. The building was last used by Speedo, but not sure of what it was used for in between the 1950's and Speedo. But last year I saw it had been razed to the ground. My mum worked there as a cutter, many of our neighbours in Aspley Estate worked there too. Not even sure what their products were, I was only a little 'un. I used to walk down from William Crane School to wait for my mum when she finished work, quite a trek thinking about it. I have a photo of mum and other staff, would post it but not been successful posting photos on Nottstalgia.

Benjamin #52, the Andrews factory is just out the bottom of the picture#51 and that pond is a surprise, it's now the car park in front of Matalan,, Wickes etc. and the R.Leen still flows around it. Another of Cliff Tons pics. shows the Springfield Works now covered by Morrisons & others, Springfield had a rifle club with an outdoor 25 yd. range on the bank of the Leen with a stop butt, of course, but Moor Bridge was in view & distance!

• 1 month later...

The main offices of Viyella were opposite the castle on castle boulevard and I worked there in the Stationery department. Boys went into the mail room from school and girls into the addressograph department then moved to departments when vacancies came along. Peter

A great welcome to you parmitage, I'm certain you'll find much to enjoy here.

Oh yeah,I forgot to mention..'72 myself and my Brother entered Simon & May in Halifax Place through an already open conveyer hatch.went into canteen and helped myself to a huge joint of lamb from the fridge,got caught coming out by Nottm's finest (eventually) by mistake I booted the Officer in the shin..he went down like a lead balloon ( hurt his leg at Sunday football!!) Brother got nabbed and the rest is history, Dad had to smooth it over with the Chief; luckily my old man had taught him to fence in the 50's.On the straight and narrow ever since.

• 1 month later...

Remember the words of Hondas' chairman...."Bly Blitish!"

My mum worked at Meridian. She worked on nightdress inserts taking the paper backing off between the embroidery amongst other things. That was what I remember cos she used to sometimes bring them home and me and my brother used to help.

Nothing to do with the forum but for a long time now at the markets we see goods sold at ? Eulo (euro) progress....I'm not so sure they are taking over everywhere.

• 4 months later...

My wife worked in the office at Denholm Underwear Manufacturing Co on Goose Gate Hockley in the 60s. The Company was owned by a guy named Bacon, and his factory manager was named Prime, ho ho, and what I don't know about kite gussets isn't worth knowing.

• 4 months later...

I worked flat locking at Beals on Peveril Street then it was changed to Marathon ,used to put gussets in knickers and lace on vests.Used to have some great works outings and christmas do"s.Back breaking work at it an day long .

• 2 months later...
On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2013 at 9:28 PM, Paulus said:

My dad worked for Percy Andrews (Bulwell) for many years, I also recall working (pipe lagging) at a bleachers & dyers Weldon & Wilkinson's, one factory at Leenside (Gauntley Street) basford, other factory behind Shippo's brewery.

I well remember the smells at Weldon's, acrid steamy smell from bleach..................

I knew 2 fella's who worked there in the 60'/70's - Mick Fenton and William Chambers......at Leenside Bulwell Notts

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2013 at 6:14 PM, susyshoes said:

T Viyella and Clydella used to be on Caddaw Avenue in Hucknall (now a housing estate of which one of the roads is called Viyella Mews and this stretches over the old Stag Cabinet site too where the roads are named after various lines from the Stag furniture range (Minstrel Close, etc). Vedonis was on Farleys Lane/Watnall Road (more houses) Bamkins socks moved from Portland Road to King Edward Street and i think is still going. Bainswear was on Byron Street, thats all gone.

There was also Reynold's on Watnall Road, I started work there in 1961 in the offices, worked firstly in the Cutting Room Office with a nice lady called Eileen Charlton, (wonder where she is now) - then moved to the General Office and worked with a nasty, bitch called Iris Mellors/ Bradshaw it was through her, I left in 1968......There was also Highfield's on Byron Street and Corman's on Portland Road who eventually moved onto Bolsover Street......... Tayldor's was on King Edward Street, back then.......There was also a factory at the top of Albert Street/The Connery where old blokes worked weaving looms, I never knew the name of that place............Hucknall was a very industrial place until the 1990's - It is unrecognisable now.........