Underwear, Knitwear & Associated Companies

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mother was a smocker (spelling) at Bairnswear bottom of Perry Road. in the same large room were the machinists. When they were going full tilt no one could hear a word said however all the ladies coul

If it was up to men to buy their own underwear all the Small sizes would remain on the shelves

Mother worked at Bairnswear on the junction of Nottingham Rd and Perry Rd as a smocker. I can remember very well going to see her at work on occasions in the 50s. One abiding memory is that the machi

On 8/23/2021 at 10:50 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

I remember that building. Got quite a shock a few years ago to find it had gone and been replaced by housing.  Did it have any connection with Pretty Polly?

When I was doing my searches often the quortex, Mansfield hosiery mill across from Sutton road primary and pretty polly in Sutton were often confused with each other. Not sure about any business links sorry 

On 8/23/2021 at 7:20 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Did it have any connection with Pretty Polly?

No Jill, Pretty Polly was on Unwin Road Sutton in Ashfield. Closed in 2005, alas long gone, now a Lidl and housing. even the Masons Arms (The Elbow) at the end of Unwin Rd looks as if it is closed for good.

They say Lidl will employ 40 people, Pretty Polly employed a thousand! The flat earth economists and joe public have a lot of blame associated with the demise of UK industry.

• Like 1