Wages when you first went to work

This is my pay slip from Xmas 1967. The pit was Moorgreen, where I was doing basic training as an apprentice electrician. I had a tax rebate that week and actually took home £6/2/0. With apologies for the mouse damage :)

Any more old pay packets out there?

scan0001.jpg?gl=GB

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I worked at Bestwood colliery, my older brother, who worked in 'High Main', the seam above, he was called in the personnel office and was asked why he only worked four days a week? His answer...

I was thrilled to get my first wages in one of thoes brown envelips. As I was an Apprentice Hairdresser it did not amout to much.   £1 7/6   for a week for a lot of hard work.   10

When I started nursing I had to work 5 and a half days each week!  I seem to think that was 44 hours.  (but was often more than this for various  reasons) On nights, I remember I worked 9 days on

67, we'd just had the bad news that Clifton was closing in early 68...... Was transferred to Cotgrave for my final year of my apprenticeship...Don't have any old pay slips, but I do recall my gross pay when I came out of my time, it was just over 18 quid, that included shift allowance, face allowance, water and dirt money.

I left in Nov 0f 68 to work for J.Jones Electric on Daleside Road for 18 quid a week, regular days in a clean workshop standing up instead of crawling all shift.

Remember those old pay dockets???? About 8 X 12 inches??? All handwritten by the wages clerk.

For some reason I have kept quite a few old pay slips, and my first pay was in October 1963. I was paid monthly, and my first month's money was £25:4:8 and taking into account the bounteous nature of Insurance companies, by June 1966 this had reached the dizzying heights of £33:3:8.

I cannot trace any further pay slips for some years, but by the time I married in 1968 I was taking home about £49.00 per month and just did not know how to spend so much largesse!

Don't have a scanner so can't show these, but quite surprising by today's standards that as I worked for a large national Company, all they showed was my name, Branch of Employer and the bank account to which the money was paid.

• Upvote 1

Ayupmeduks - I worked at J.Jones for a few months in late 1973. Did our paths cross, I wonder???

No, I'd left a year or so before that, I was chasing money and left J.Jones to work for Arco in Beeston, they were hopeless, so went to Wilson Ford rewinds.

Do you remember Frank Blair at J.Jones???

Old man Jones was a character, I remember him walking around the works picking scrap pieces of insulation up and placing them on the winders benches, never liked to see any wastage.

Thinking back, I'd have been at British Gypsum at their mine at East Leake in 73..

Wasn't Frank Blair the foreman? I am hopeless with names. I recall a lad who was in the sealed know. Julian Peasvasna? Italian by parentage. He worked on the next bench to me. I used to like the big steam cleaner; it was great fun blowing all the dirt and grease from machines.

Frank Clough was the foreman in the fitting side when I worked there, Frank Blair was one of the top elec fitters, with Peter?? and another couple of top elec fitters... I still keep in touch with Frank, known him many years, his late Father was a conveyor attendant underground at Clifton..

I remember Peter. I was trying to think of his name but couldn't. He was a really nice bloke and helped me settle in after leaving the RAF.

Gets a bit hard recalling all the names from that far back.... I remember the foremans name it was the same time his namesake was Manager of Nottm Forest...

I started with J.Jones at the old Daleside works, same side just down the road a short distance. At that time the rewind department was on Canal Street.

Everything moved into the "new" building just before Christmas of 68...

Started in August 1966 as a temporary civil servant on £6-17-6d a week (£6-7-6d after stoppages). Went permanent in 1967 on a salary of £535 per year. Moved to BR Derby Carriage Works as a clerk on £585 per year (but with free travel) exactly 45 years ago (1 April 1968). Railway pay scales were revised about 6 months later, and this put me on £680, and then got another pay rise on the anniversary of my starting day. So from leaving the civil service on 29 March 1968 to 1 April 1969 I had three pay rises totalling 40%. Never regretted the move and stayed with the railway workshops in their various guises and ownership until I took early retirement just coming up to 10 years ago.

I started on £4 8s a week on 21 Sep 1959 at NCB No.6 Area Laboratories at Cinderhill as Grade STO 4.

I went for my NCB chest Xray there in '67

\snip\ Railway pay scales were revised about 6 months later, and this put me on £680, and then got another pay rise on the anniversary of my starting day.\snip\

Looks like I should have gone to the railways when they offered me a job in 1969!

I went for my NCB chest Xray there in '67

Not quite Compo, the medical place was down the road nearer to Bulwell the other side of the GNR (red brick) railway bridge. I went there as well.

The labs were behind the big house opposite Bagnall Lane, much closer to Babbington colliery.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stephen Ford

That bought back a few memories I worked as a contract draughtsman in 1986 and was based in the vast BR drawing office on St Peters street derby for about. A year

Fch782c

Compo, I was seven months off full elecs pay, wished I'd kept a few old pay dockets....I think by Xmas 67 all our overtime had been chopped, so just on basic pay, plus shift/face/water and dirt money. Probably around 16 quid gross. Still more than my Dad was earning for his basic 40 hours.

Compo, I was seven months off full elecs pay, wished I'd kept a few old pay dockets....I think by Xmas 67 all our overtime had been chopped, so just on basic pay, plus shift/face/water and dirt money. Probably around 16 quid gross. Still more than my Dad was earning for his basic 40 hours.

i was in my third year of apprenticehsip and went from £6 a week in the NCB to £18 per week as a training technician in the RAF.

I started work in 63 as an apprentice electrician with Taggs of Daybrook. Made an agreement with my mum that I could pay two pounds ten shillings a week board and keep the rest.

After my first week of running around like a blue ar*ed fly I got my first pay packet of two pounds fifteen shillings ! remember chucking the lot at my mum and feeling very sorry for myself, but she came in my room and gave me the lot back, as she felt so sorry for me.

• Upvote 1

This is my pay slip from Xmas 1967. The pit was Moorgreen, where I was doing basic training as an apprentice electrician. I had a tax rebate that week and actually took home £6/2/0. With apologies for the mouse damage :)

Any more old pay packets out there?

scan0001.jpg?gl=GB

Not the tax man nibbling at your wages then Compo? :)