burtkt

Best View Points of Nottingham City

Hi

After enjoying the views from Green's Mill many a time , I was wondering about other good view points of the city , would be nice to hear from other people on their favourite viewing spots.

Kind Regards

Can I be the first to say the most obvious - the Castle. But it is pretty good. I'll think of some more original ones later.

The Belle View reservoir between Mapperley Road and Woodborough Road used to be very good - and not well known, but I haven't been up there for many years now.

The best approach is from the very top of Huntingdon Street - there is a path up the hill at right angles to the road.

I like one or two views of the Old Market Square from surrounding buildings such as the upstairs bar in The Bell Inn and the upper restaurant in Debenhams.

As you'd expect, there's a fantastic view from up above in Nottingham Trent University's Newton Building.

The Nottingham Eye was pretty good for a panoramic view of the City, check it out, the next time it comes around, if you haven't already done so.

I loved the view from dorket head at the top of calverton road you can see for miles the one thing that sticks in my mind as a youngster was the red neon sign above the Metropole cinema at the top of Mansfield road in sherwood

Bump

The Belle View reservoir between Mapperley Road and Woodborough Road used to be very good - and not well known, but I haven't been up there for many years now.

The best approach is from the very top of Huntingdon Street - there is a path up the hill at right angles to the road.

I have been trying to get this direction into my mind and I can imagine the top of Huntingdon Street, Elm Ave and Mansfield Road. Where would the path that is mentioned be located! I don't recall seeing a path, only perhaps Elm Ave. Next visit to Nottingham, I would like to go and look at the view that notty ash writes about. Have any Nottstalgians any idea where the path is! Any help would be appreciated with thanks.

Where is Malin Hill ?

It is 48 years since I left Nottingham and I am sad to say, I left my memory of a lot of places and road names as well. With the help on Nottstalgia, a lot of places are slowly coming back to me. Thank You every one. :)

The only Malin Hill that I know is in the Lace Market, a stones throw from the Canal Street / London Road traffic island. I can't see you getting a good view from there, carni.

One of the best views of nottingham is through my eyes,the place will always be my home where ever I end up in the world.

• Upvote 3

Malin Hill runs from Commerce Square(off High Pavement) to Hollowstone

Looking over the wall gives a view of the area to the south of Canal Street

• Upvote 1

There's a good panoramic view from the car park of the Apple Tree pub on Landmere Lane in Wilford. It's always much clearer when you first park but gets a bit blurred by the time you come out.

• Upvote 3

The view from the top of Fletchergate Car Park is good.

Also @ night when Nottingham lit up the view from the Queen Adelaide pub car park on windmill lane is quite spectacular.

How about from the top of Malin Hill

Before the coming of concrete and bricks Malin Hill MUST have been the best viewpoint seeing as this is the spot chosen to settle by the Saxons and probably earlier people to oversee the Trent Valley. An easy place to fortify on top of the sandstone cliffs.

I used to know someone who lived on the 19th floor of the Victoria Centre Flats and there was a good view form there. I would thin that the view from the top of Trent Uni must be good as well.

Thank you notty ash for putting me straight about Elm Ave in #20. I hoped it was there. I haven't walked up that way for many years. I knew there was a resevoir up that way somewhere, as I have enquired about it in the past.

Thank you to every one for your help.

I used to have a good view of the Belle View Pub

from where I lived in the 70s,

• Upvote 1

Bump

I read that The"Wheel of Nottingham" is back today after a four year break. I would really like to have a go but I am a real Scaredy Cat when it comes to heights. Have any of you taken the plunge and had a go on the "Wheel" I think the closest I will get is to read about your experiences. So let me know what you think, and you never know the next time I am in Nottingham, I might, only might, change my mind, and have a go!

I went on the big wheel in the square a few years ago, it is quite gentle, and you get a good view from the top. I took some photos I will find them and post them.

I have just been priceing the twelve minute Wheel experience up and at £6 a go, i'm not sure what I think. OK for us, but a bit different if you have about four children to pay for. A very quickly spent £36. It is expected to bring in a lot of "Day trippers" . Estimating that they will spend approximately £50 each on Food and Shopping throughout the day! Good for the Nottingham Tourist Trade.