Best View Points of Nottingham City

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The former John Player Bonded Warehouses seen from Wilford Hill.

Personally, I reckon the best view of the city is from Porchester Road.

There's a good panoramic view from the car park of the Apple Tree pub on Landmere Lane in Wilford. It's always much clearer when you first park but gets a bit blurred by the time you come out.

• 3 weeks later...

Its relatively new but the top deck of Nottingham Railway Stations Multi Storey car park off Queens Road provides a panoramic view of Nottingham City Centre, the railway station and its layoutas well as view down towards Trent Bridge.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

The best view of Nottingham I always remember was when I lived in Cambridgshire,used to come back thru Melton Mowbary on the A606 and at the top of that big hill I think before Ab Kettleby,you could see Nottingham on a clear day about 10 miles away and it always gave my heart a lift to see smoke rising,(twas in the 70s when you still could) and when I got to Clifton bridge I used to open the windows and smell it,...........wonderful I was home where my heart was,.............then Mam and Dad Aunts and Uncles and 'ey up duck lovely to see ya'.................aah,

• Upvote 1

In the late 1960s, when I was still at school, you could join the library of what was then the Regional College of Technology (now Nottingham Trent University) which was located on the top floor of the Newton Building. You could get great views to the east and west from the library itself and to the North and South from the stair lobbies. I suspect you have to be a student now to get access. 

Re posts 3 and 9, from Google satellite maps this appears to be Corporation Oaks at the top of St Anns Hill. Walk up Elm Avenue and you're there. Comes up on the satellite maps easy, I suspect trees  spoil the view now. I lived up Mapperley Rd for a while and was not aware of Elm Ave or Corporation Oaks which, I guess, is on top of the reservoir.

• 1 month later...

Again, looking in the opposite direction from the top of Toton Bank overlooking the railway depot. You can see Stapleford and Sandiacre. Looking south west, you can see the radar tower at East Midlands Airport and directly south, Ratcliffe on Soar power station, and into Leicestershire.

• 3 years later...

It's a funny thing abut views. Someone once commented that people go to high places in order to use binoculars to see thing that are back on the ground.

Would that be Wollaton hall Catfan? Just to the left of centre, near the horizon. Or could it be the castle?

Just trying to get my bearings.

12 hours ago, Beekay said:

Would that be Wollaton hall Catfan? Just to the left of centre, near the horizon. Or could it be the castle?

Just trying to get my bearings.

Assuming that's Elmswood Gardens in the foreground then that is Wollaton Hall,  4miles  (6.4km new money) in the distance.

• Like 1

It looks a bit too square to be Wollaton hall Stuart, so not knowing where the picture was taken, I can't really say.

The more I enlarge it, the less detail is there. Still a very nice shot though.

• Like 1

BK it all depends on where you think the building is, from which the photo was taken!  

I think it's vaguely looking west so, as Lizzie says, It could be HMP

• Like 1