Even made the news out here! !7 (yes seventeen) kids by different mothers. All proceeds from the kids `benefits HAD to be directed to him. The arson attack was to get back at one of his girlfriends so reports the news.

A FORMER Mansfield man has been found guilty of manslaughter after six of his children died in a house fire.

Mick and Mairead Philpott were convicted by jurors at Nottingham Crown Court of the unlawful killing of the six siblings in the blaze at the familyicon1.png home in Victory Road, Derby, on May 11 last year.

Read more: http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Philpott-trial-Cheers-relief-Mick-Mairead/story-18596362-detail/story.html#ixzz2POGa6ghV
Follow us: @thisisnottm on Twitter | ThisIsNottingham on Facebook

Philpott fire: child killer Mick jailed for life

Mick Philpott, who killed his six children in a house fire in a botched attempt at revenge after his mistress walked out, has today been sentenced to life in prison, while wife Mairead received 17 years.

Philpott was seen shaking his head as the judge outlined his previous violent relationships - including the time he stabbed his former girlfriend 13 times, leaving her for dead

Sorry Bubblegum sadly this is not true. As a prolific offender (nonce) he will be allocated to a prison that has a dedicated wing/unit that houses a large number of similar offenders who all live on what for them will be normal location he will enjoy the same entitlements as other prisoners but will be considered safe amongst his own kind. His wife will not be as safe and may require to go on the rule as women in prison consider child killers (especially their own) the worst of the worst.

• Upvote 1

Mick Philpott Life (minimum 15 years)

Paul Mosley and Maireid Philpott 17 years will be released on licence after half that time minus what they have already served on remand.

Does this reflect the loss of life for six young children.

Derby fire deaths: Philpotts and Mosley jailed

I used to delver to Whatton nick , which was mainly 'nonces', there was also the odd 'hard case' there. I asked a 'screw' why ? his reply was that the nonces deserved a good kicking every now and then !

• Upvote 1

They could not be tried for murder because there was no intent to cause serious harm or death.

However, in my opinion, the law should be changed to include cases such as this, where there is substantial recklessness that death or serious injury could be caused, that the category of Murder or attempted Murder would be met, with an appropriate prosecution.

Who decides this? Not the Judges... Politicians who write the law

Mick Philpott Life (minimum 15 years)

Paul Mosley and Maireid Philpott 17 years will be released on licence after half that time minus what they have already served on remand.

Does this reflect the loss of life for six young children.

No. Too lenient for me. Mick Philpott in particular should never see the light of day again.

However, in my opinion, the law should be changed to include cases such as this, where there is substantial recklessness that death or serious injury could be caused, that the category of Murder or attempted Murder would be met, with an appropriate prosecution.

I agree.

Mairead was a weak easily led individual, I agree with the comments about her made by the lady judge.

Mick at last met his female match.

I did attend several days of the trial, but getting a place in the public gallery was almost impossible.

I saw Mick Philpott 'collapse' in the dock crying, when his 999 call to the fire brigade was played back.

Barrister for the Crown, quickly pointed out that he was crying but there was no tears!

Philpott should be nominated for an Oscar!

Must have been an interesting one to attend, Mick.

Indeed. His (and her) 'displays' upon being interviewed after the tragedy were equally pitiful and artificial.

I find it apt that a female judge had the task of sentencing him considering his attitude towards women.

Philpott has shown no remorse whatsoever, at any point, his actions are psychopathic.

I've seen people saying that Mosley is in some ways 'worse' than Mairead in that he perpetrated his actions without being 'controlled' by Mick Philpott and should therefore receive a stiffer sentence. It's an interesting theory.

Mosley was smiling in the dock much of the time I saw him.

He was also laughing and exchanging words with a dock officer at one stage.

The Jury do not miss these displays.

Mairead and Mosley will actually serve about 7 years before they are released. Thats 1 year and two months for each child death

Mairead and Mosley will actually serve about 7 years before they are released. Thats 1 year and two months for each child death

No where near enough.

In this instance, life SHOULD mean life.

One of the finest judges pre sentence speeches I have heard. Perhaps more women should be judges.

She makes it clear that her hands were tied.

"The maximum sentence for manslaughter is life imprisonment. You are a disturbingly dangerous man. Your guiding principle is what Mick Philpott wants he gets. You have no moral compass. I have no hesitation in concluding that these six offences are so serious and the danger you pose is so great that the only proper sentence is one of life imprisonment and that is the sentence I impose upon you.

"The law requires me to impose a period of years that you will serve before you are considered for parole. To reach that period I must identify the determinate sentence you would have served had I not imposed a life sentence.

"The determinate sentence would have been one of 30 years' imprisonment. I am required by parliament to halve that to reflect that were this a determinate sentence you would serve only half.

"The minimum period you must therefore serve before you are considered for parole is one of 15 years. From that I deduct 307 days to reflect the time you have already served on remand to give a term of 14 years and 58 days.

"Whether or not you are ever released will be a matter for the parole board."

I agree with you entirely Mick, when this kind of crime happens here in the States, he would be given a life sentence for every life he has taken. Never being released untill being carried out in a pine box.

Those poor innocent children, never having a life to live, so very sad.

The judges are not only told the maximum sentence they can give, but know that every sentence has been cut in half.

They only serve 50% of any sentence even for murder.

• 1 month later...

shes got a nerve being somewhat involved in the deaths of her children she knew what was happening shes just as guilty as if she had lit the fire any real mother whold have not have let it happen no matter how dominatig her partner was .

• 6 months later...

Her sister wanted the sentence increased.

She has a 17 year sentence, she already served about a year in gaol when sentenced. This is deducted.

By act of parliament all sentences are cut in half. She will be out in 2021.