Tens Motorcycle Club

Coming across the Tens Motor Cycle Club link and the Guardian Journal photo brought the urge to respond to this thread.

The 10 MCC was formed from a group of 10 local St Ann's Well Road lads many from the Pym street area, my encounter with them began in 1964. names I recall included Trevor and Geoff Lewis , Albert and Graham Ward, Sam Peters, Tony Meats, Brian Voce, Keith and Paul Taylor, Paul (Fred) Truman), Tony Chandler, Peter Ball, Bernard Atkins, Peter Edson, Dave Hutton, Allan Lee, Wayne Faulconbridge, Dave and Keith Brown, Ray Carnell, Ron West, Mick Levy Jeff Tomlinson., Mick Spinks. John Pether, Mick Armstrong

The original 10 members had a triangular patch with TT10C on, referred to by some as he Tinger and Tucker club, it was replaced with a red shield with a tyre in the centre, they rented the Institute the hut located between the Memorial Hall and the Police Station. it is in the Institute that the photo of Chris Mann with his hands in the BSA, I believe to be Vic Smith with the spanner, Keith Taylor kneeling gear box side, Allan Lee standing and Tony Meats with the work shop manual ,adorning the walls would have been Castrol service charts.

Tony Meats had a BSA C15T, a DB34 Gold Star and what appeared, from the grass once attached to the footrests, to be a very clumsy Norvin, an amalgamation of a 1000cc Vincent V twin with a Norton Featherbed Frame,I recall Chris Mann sttripping down a Triumph 21 , mainly with a hammer and chisel.

Ariels, BSA's, James, Panthers, Sunbeams, Triumphs, Vincents, Nortons, Royal Enfields, Trttons along with the odd Garelli and Lambetta were ridden by club members,

The 10 club found the cost of renting the prefabricated building too expensive and it transferred to local entrepreneur Tony Burt an electrician at Gedling Colliery, shop keeper, Printer and member of the magic circle, later to become a convenience store.

After briefly relocating to former scout hut on Blue Bell Hill road,cars, courting, marriages, careers, rehousing and alternative venues including the White Hart Lenton brought an end to club activities in the late 1960's although they still have the occasional get together.

Familiar faces and friends of the 10 club can still be found visiting the White Hart Lenton including, Billy Gilbert, Mick Newman and Allan Lee.

Hope this helps with the 'mystery' of the lost Tens.

• Upvote 3

Welcome PaulK .

Thanks for the info for a random photo I posted nearly 3 years ago . Just shows it's worth posting these old pics and pleased a mystery solved !

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...