Including YOUTUBE video in your post

Hi Stu, so glad you are "in the know" with this album and thanks for the advice and for posting up this video clip.

When I said I had no idea how to post a video, I really meant I have no idea how to post anything!! It is so demeaning to admit this with all you techno-adepts here, but I do not have the foggiest how to cut and paste, let alone know what a URL is! I think myself lucky that I did not have to use technology to any great extent throughout my 48 year working life, but this omission in my life did help decide me on acceptance of redundancy in 2010!

Even in my state of complete IT ignorance however, I can still play vinyl, tapes and CD's on the Hi Fi, and yes, it is a pretty old system as you may imagine, no micro systems or mp3(?) gizmos here.

Hi Commo, we all had to learn mate, no ones born able to use these gadgets!! I only learned the secret of posting from youtube from oner of the Techno Pirates on here.....................

URL; It's that long box at the top left of this page; reads http://nottstalgia.com etc

Go to Youtube & select your video, Put your cursor (mouse pointer) on the box & ' left click' the mouse once only & release, the lettering should now show a blue background (I'm checking this as I go along), once it shows blue, don't move the cursor, but right click the mouse & a box will appear with list of options, now find 'copy' & left click the mouse, the box will disappear, you've now 'copied' the URL. Open the topic you want to move the video to, & right click anywhere in the 'Reply tpo this topic' box, another list appears with 'paste' in it, left click on paste & the URL will appear. Once you click post, the URL disappears & the video appears.

Hope that helps, give it a go.................... :)

Commo, you are not alone in your lack of 'tech' wizardry'.I have no doubt, that the folks on the site are only to happy to help with anything you ask of them,( within reason).

Hi Paulus, many thanks for the help, but as mentioned I am "techno-blind"! All seems to go OK until I get to "Reply to topic" box, when the drop down box appears but "Paste" comes up in faint display and clicking on this of course has no effect.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Sorry for not explaining well, Commo. No shame at all in not knowing about this stuff. The good news is it's not that difficult. :)

Right click on the URL (the web address at the top).

It will become highlighted in blue (it must remain highlighted in blue).

From the drop-down box select 'copy'.

kinks-1.jpg?w=587&h=292

Go to Nottstalgia forum and right click in the field (typing area).

Drop-down box should offer you the 'paste' option.

Job done.

kinks-2.jpg?w=886&h=418

Perhaps I shouldn't complicate matters and this is not to do with the above about posting URLs or website page links.

But it seems a vagary of this message board is that if you want to copy and paste just some text from another webpage or even one of your own documents into the white reply box here , you can only paste it in by pressing the control (Ctrl ) button and then pressing V .

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Stu for posting the screen shots about copying the Youtube address into your post.

Instead of displaying the link the forums resolve it into a video.

The only exception recently noticed is if you post from a mobile.

It does not resolve and displays as a link. That is because the address begins www.m.youtube, not www.youtube

If reading this message board on my android tablet , if someone posts a youtube video with no description of what its about , I just get a complete blank space , no link or anything .

Would be useful if posters could write what the track and artist is. Then at least if its something I'm interested in , can go back and listen or watch later when on my laptop .

Actually Mick have just noticed you edited my youtube link about the hymn, posted from this tablet .

I can see where it says you have edited it but no link or video shows on screen on this device.

No stays that way all the time . Must be something to do with the flash player, though I can watch youtube via the dedicated app or via internet explorer directly on the youtube site on this tablet.

DavidW

I have set your account for Mobile Skin as default.

Let me know if its any better, or if you want it changing back.

Also what version of Android are you on, or is it a recent device?

Still can't see the youtube vids and actually prefer it if you can change it back to the original please . Its a bit more colourful . This tablet is 4.1.1.

• 2 years later...

Impossible with an iPad I presume? Any ideas?

It's very nearly ended up through the front window many times just lately. LOL

it is possible to post a video from youtube via a ipad - ive just tried it and worked first time

hopefully you have the youtube app on your ipad - open the app find the video you wish to share here on the forums and while the video is playing gently tap the screen once and at the top of the screen on the right hand side should be 3 small symbols - 3 lines with a plus sign on it and the next should be a semi circle arrow pointing to the right tap on this icon and then choose the bottom option of copy link - at the bottom of your screen it should say briefly success - close down youtube app open up your browser- i use chrome on mine - come here and open nottstaglia page - goto the thread you wish to post your link and goto the reply box and tap the screen to bring your onscreen keyboard up and above the keys on the left hand side should be a arrow pointing to the left a arrow pointing to the right and the 3rd icon is a clipboard tap on that and your link you just copied from youtube should appear - click on post and job done

You can embed the Youtube address in between the html tags written as below

[ youtube] +++ COPY THE COMPLETE YOUTUBE ADDRESS TO HERE

without the space in the first [ youtube]