Hello from John Berry

There are linkbacks in the image?

The second picture now shows Ace Records in a shop next door 'Ace Co.....'?

I had forgotten it but do now remember buying records in the downstairs store, though in 1968 it was above the book shop on the corner. Hard to believe it was 45 years ago!

Weird, but I see what you mean. I've changed it again.

Photobucket is playing silly bu++ers. I'm only doing what I always did, but it's now behaving differently. I'm having to manually change the code which I paste into the message.

I found the same problem last night, go to your preferences and untick the box to link the images.

Bottom box will then change to IMG

Hi Giga Nottstalgia, where are you finding these, amazing. I never knew or remember a Selectadisc next to Ace Records and I had forgot (I think) there were 2 Selectadisc's on Arkwright St but now you point it out I think one did the blue beat stuff and the other dance and pop, there was a downstairs to it too. Really grateful, shame you can't also remember Sandra from Ace but what a find anyway.

Tyafans - it was Alvin Lee in the Jaybirds and then he became famous in Ten Years After both here and in the USA. Later he went on his own and was popular and recording almost until his death a month or two back.

Mick2me - I think I can remember you as the Dancing Slipper DJ? Were you doing it in around 1966 - 69 though. The owner was an odd bloke for a club boss but he made sure there was not too much messing about.

Regards John

John Berry

'Giga Nottstalgian' is Cliff Tons Post Rank :)

I was DJ at Slipper around 1970, before me 'Mad Mike' Burdette

and another DJ who's name I forget as I do the owner.

Both documented here if you search 'slipper'.

Downstairs at Selecta Disc Arkwright Street was Soul.

They had a box 3 import singles for a pound.

I still have all the singles I bought there.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I knew Greg Dix during his brief membership of the Boys Brigade in West Bridgford. i think he lived on North Road in WB and I remember seeing his drum kit which I think was on the top floor of their house.

Thanks for the welcome, my potted memories are almost a carbon copy of many already recorded here. First live gig was a local band at the Swain Hall on Fox Road, dances at the Parochial Hall in WB when the "Clifton Mob" would take on the local rockers, it could have been the Ace Boys but not sure on that.After that I was mesmorised by the red Gibson that Alvin Lee played at the Dancing Slipper and after that all my live music was devoured at the Dungeon, all the Trentside clubs and somewhere we went on a late saturday night for Jazz and mushy peas, can anyone throw light on that venue?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the welcome, my potted memories are almost a carbon copy of many already recorded here. First live gig was a local band at the Swain Hall on Fox Road, dances at the Parochial Hall in WB when the "Clifton Mob" would take on the local rockers, it could have been the Ace Boys but not sure on that.After that I was mesmorised by the red Gibson that Alvin Lee played at the Dancing Slipper and after that all my live music was devoured at the Dungeon, all the Trentside clubs and somewhere we went on a late saturday night for Jazz and mushy peas, can anyone throw light on that venue?

Probably the Belvedere in Hockley

Hi John and welcome to this forum . I think I might have known you the deerstalker gives it away. Just to check did you have a fabulous stripped down LD scooter and blonde hair and live somewhere near the flyover near QM?

Some interesting stuff in this thread. I used to live in the flat on the top floor adjacent to the L Shaped room with other students, Jack Brooks was the tenant and loads of us dossed there. I am sure that the guy leaning out the window is in one of the bedrooms of that flat. Later I moved up the road to Goldsmith Terrace behind the masonic hall.

The L-shaped was an amazing place I seem to recall it staying open until the early hours of the morning when the guys used to come in from the gambling clubs such as The Blade, Chris Bowring worked there and would do a nice steak and chips. I remember people like Alan, Chris the Greek and “Pooh Bear” (of this forum) in the early hours drinking smoking and playing a card game called Cooncan with two packs of cards – it was like 10 card rummy. It was played for all one penny per point and you could win/lose an awful lot of money. I seem to recall one game played at sixpence per point where many tenners changed hands! My memory of the music in there was a big reel to reel tape machine behind the bar playing Frank Sinatra and big band stuff. Mick and Bill (or was it Dave?) the owners were older and into that kind of music; I think they both worked at Fort Dunlop in Birmingham – I seem to remember one of them knowing a lot about tyres when Chris the Greek was thinking of putting radials onto his Austin Healey 3000.

I rode my scoot with Fat Pat (TV 175), John Nequest, Blonde John (stripped down LD), Drac, Dave one tab, Andy Clifford, Paul Brown and others. They were great days self-styled as The Outlaws. It’s amazing to see now how many different Outlaws gangs/clubs there were! Our mohair suits were made by a great tailor, one of the crowd at the Dungeon/Beachcomber/Boat Clubs called Mario , he would get rolls of mohair from Dave Mace's dad (one of the Bilborough lot) and make suits to measure.

Me and my mate Dave to go to all nighters with Click, Radio and Ben. I saw Andy Clifford back in the 80s and he told me that Ben had died. Radio and Viv were regulars at the Twisted Wheel, The Nite Owl and The Mojo, sadly Radio died

http://www.thisisannouncements.co.uk/5650095?s_source=clmi_innn

I think Click had a successful cleaning business somewhere in Nottingham.

Great times!

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 11 April 2013 at 9:00 PM, JohnBerry said:

Thanks, that's sad, we've all lost a few along the way, is Carol still alive and in Nottingham? My wife Linda knew her quite well.

If John Berry ever makes a return Petes wife Carol is still around she lives in Wollaton.