White Post cafe

On the Ollerton Road at White Post, Farnsfield, which is now Winner City chinese restaurant, was a transport cafe which I remembered as Robin Hood cafe, but would like anyone who knew the place then to confirm that it was known as that. I have seen on other threads that Babs has mentioned White Post cafe and wonder if this was the same place?

We would frequent the cafe in the evenings for a Coke or a coffee, and there was a slot machine near the door which we played on which measured the speed of your reactions. You dropped in a 3d piece and then with the same hand had to push a knob to stop the coin falling before it hit the bottom of the chute. I could never get it to stop before the half way mark, and this was just on coffee or coke!

Anyone any memories? Did you ever test your reactions Babs?

• Upvote 1

T'was indeed known as the Robin Hood Café, I recall hearing the Troggs, Wild Thing for the very first time on their jukebox.

There was another transport Café at the roundabout at Redhill/Mansfield/Ollerton, (Redhill exit) what was that one called?

The cafe was the'Robin Hood', the pub close by was the 'White Post', if memory serves me right.

The record I remember hearing for the first time was 'Leader of the Pack' by the 'Shangrilas'.I'm sure Babs will remember that one,the record was worn out on the jukebox at'Jacks'cafe.

definitly same place commo no never did test my reactions on that was to busy making sure my reactions quick enough to stop the guys touching you up.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone remember the Robin Hood Café up the Ollerton road by the White Post? As kids we would cycle up there for a tea and a go on the pinball machines. There was also a good juke box. As I recall, it was a 24hr café at the time and popular with motorcyclists. This would be about 1965ish. We also used it as a convenient stop on the way to and from Edwinstowe - for the Major Oak and the Edwinstowe fair.

In those days you could climb up the inside of the Major Oak and carve your initials et al on the inside of the trunk. In the words of ARP Warden, Hodges, we were probably little short of being "Ruddy 'ooligans"!

• Upvote 1

Compo, Spent many an hour in there drinking frothy coffee, before taking the BSA Rocket Gold Star for a blast along the "ramper". Often had races to see who could get to the Limes Café near Bilsthorpe and back the quickest.

• Upvote 1

I remember the Limes too. I used to work at the Ollerton College and stopped there on my way home on most days. Great Café - I wonder if it's still open for business?

The Limes is still there, a favourite of us Nottingham laggers in the 70's, large tea & 2 dripping toasts (crusts)!! lovely

Winner City is correct. I frequently went after closing time in the mid 60's. Bacon cobs after a skin full. Marvellous.

And before some holier than thou prig mentions breathalysers. There were none then.

• 1 year later...

Spent many a happy hour in the White Post Cafe.  It was the Robin Hood Cafe really, but we always Knew it as White Post Cafe.  We even went there in a car when I had my son.  He was banned from playing on the machines cos he kept winning!   When did it become Winner City?  I have been there a couple of times too.  

• 2 years later...

The White Post Cafe was a favourite haunt  for the Nottm Aces and  Mansfield White Cross motorcycle groups in the 1960's.We met mainly on Saturday night after the pubs closed and often went for a midnight run finishing back at "The Post" later.

They did great bacon cobs late at night. Very good for soaking up the nights beer !

6 hours ago, Dick said:

The White Post Cafe

As said earlier in this thread it was the Robin Hood Café, had many a coffee in there.

The White Post Inn, on the southern side of the A614 roundabout where the Farnsfield to Rainworth Rd crosses it, was a very upmarket place to eat in the 60's and way beyond my means.

Any one on here remember the El Rico opposite the Forest Folk in Blidworth, another hang out for motorcyclists.

Welcome Dick, Where are you in Sydney? Soon be able to have an antipodean meeting.