Alvin Lee - Ten Year's After's Guitarist - Dead At 68

Alvin Lee passed away suddenly on March 6, 2013 - a shock to everyone, band members past and present are still numb over it. Brigitte and I (Dave) just returned from Paris where there was a "Tribute" to "Alvin Lee" as he was to play here (in Paris) on Sunday April 7, 2013......On the original concert bill, was to be another meeting of Johnny Winter and Alvin Lee, that has not happened in 30 years. At this tribute concert, it was Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, Jimmy Gallagher, Tommy Emmanuel, Robben Ford.

Ten minutes before show time, the Woodstock 1969 version of, Ten Years After's - "I'm Going Home" was played over the venue's P.A. System to the audience's delight. This was followed by stage announcements in French - "A Minute Of Silence". A pin wouldn't dare drop in that minute...but it damn well would be heard loud and clear if it had.

Roughly 2,500 music lovers in attendence and total silence. It they turned the lights off, you would think no one was there at all. Nothing more was said about Alvin that evening. He was on everyone's mind, and in their hearts, and I like many others thought to ourselves, Alvin would be / should be standing right there, center stage on this evening, That's when the reality sunk in. It's a done deal now Alvin Lee, "Rock On".

From Dave - Brigitte and our Ten Years After Family of Friends.

• Upvote 1

Hi Michael, thank you. Yes, it was a very sad event. But all in all - it did give many people, some peace of mind, by giving final respect to our life long hero. Tears flowed that's for sure. It was great to be with so many wonderful people - thank you everyone. I felt bad for Johnny Winter, although he did walk on stage by himself - and gave it his all. Now there's a man to respect while he's still living and playing - please do that....show him some love and support.

Dave

Thanks for that TYAFANS. RIP Alvin

Edgar Winter is also a great musician, was blown away by every track of his 1970 Album, they only come out at night.

• Upvote 2

Mick2me - I agree with you 100% - They Only Come Out At Night - fantastic album....I also like - Edgar Winter's White Trash (green street cover) and Roadworks 1972 - Still Alive and Well and Back In The USA by Derringer.

• 2 months later...

I remember Alvin used to date Lorraine Burgin whose parents ran the Newcastle Arms on Nuttall Rd. Always a good pint there!

I think she went to live in London with him when the Jaybirds became TYA.

Last saw him about 15 years ago at Mansfield Leisure Centre alongside Gerry McAvoy from Rory Gallaghers band.

Was also at Central Studios in Lenton for a TV recording of TYA.

• Upvote 1

Interesting post, basfordred. I saw Rory Gallagher and his band 'Taste' at the Marquee Club in the late sixties. They were absolutely fantastic and I often listen to their music. Gerry McAvoy joined Rory after 'Taste' had split up and they were together for years. Rory died in hospital in 1995 from a MRSA infection after having a liver transplant. It was a sad day for me and he joined a long list of my hero's who'd died so young.

• Upvote 1

Alvin called Lorraine "The Wild One" - they met when she was just 18 years old. She was with him at Woodstock 1969 - and Alvin wrote the song "I'm Going Home" for her - she says. I think you came close with her last name, it's "Burgon" I think)....she was also known as "Vicky Page" as head of the Alvin Lee / Ten Years After fan club - that's the way she signed the news-letters. She also made the flowery pants he wore at Woodstock, out of the drapes Alvin's mum had in the house - that fringe on the bottom is where that came from.

BTW - one of Alvin's women also had a pet snake - she took around with her....just may be Lorraine as well. Just a guess.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Must admit I had never heard of Ten Years After, but today there is their photo in the Arizona Republic, they are headlining the Flagstaff Rock and Blues Festival on Aug 3. The others performing are The Edgar Winters Band, Canned Heat, Rick Derringer and Pat Travers. I think the only one out of all that lot I've heard of is Canned Heat. Didn't they have a hit song in the 60's?

More of an Album group, but "On the road again" was a hit for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for the link above - KATYJAY - from Dave