Hi Jake

I used to know a Chris Mee from Attenborough / Beeston area in the 60's, don't know if its the same person. We used to meet up in the cafe in Griffins & Spalding for a coffee.

We called him "cranky chris" as he was a bit out there.

I was mates with his cousin Barry Spackman from Mapperley.

Chris was a guitarist and had another mate called Jacko who played bass I think from memory.

Jacko was a big tall skinny youth with large horn rim specs, his day job was in wholesale jewellery as I got my girlfriends (now wife) engagement ring from him, he lived at the Baseford end of Haydn Road.

• Upvote 1

Hi Jake,Chris came from Chilwell, he was a couple of years older than me, sorry to hear of his death.

Chris,Nev Westerman and I, began learning to play our instruments together, circa 1962.

Convinced we would become Nottinghams' answer to the 'Shadows'.RIP Chris.

• Upvote 1

Sure looks like the one I knew too ! You wouldn't be the Jacko (Jake ) I mentioned would you ? No disrespect meant with my description of you, its just how I remember Jacko.

If so you must remember me as I also beggered you to sell me your full length suede coat. You mention your location as sherwood too.

RIP Chris, we had some great times and went to some "way out there" parties.

Yes Mudgie49 it would be Chilwell, not Attenborough, think I only went to his house a couple of times as we usually all met up in the square on a Saturday evening for the party parade.

We did go camping on one of the islands in the nature reserve at Attenborough one weekend, Chris purloined a two seater canoe from somewhere, and we all went out to this island, after a bit of swimming in the lagoon we found we were all covered in sand leaches ! so we all came back and found a party to go to instead.

My best mate Will Gardener had his company's Bedford Dormobile type van we used to all pile into to bomb around.

Good times

• Upvote 1

Yes,that is the guy I knew.

If memory serves me right, the canoe came from a back garden that ended at the railway lines,and the nature reserve back then was known as 'willow woods'.We spent a lot of time there as a kids, during our summer break from school.

The best blackberries we picked were along the railway lines, with thundering steam trains passing us at regular intervals. Hard to believe, looking back( in horror) that we ever did such crazy things,but we did.

• Upvote 1

Hi Brian,

It WAS me, still tall and skinny.I remember you and Will with the Land Rover that I think you both went to Africa (?) in.Also the nature reserve camping with Baz and Tony Odell and his suitcase.Great pity about Chris,I think it may have been his heart but not seen too much of him since he moved to Morfa Nevyn (wales) :hand:

Hi Jake

What a small world it is ! Do you know what ever happened to Chris's cousin Baz ? He was the engraver, but you would know that.

Often wonder what happened to all the old gang, met up with Will a few times on my trips back to Nottm. Lost touch with most of the others.

Yes Will and the Land Rover, we actually went to Sweden but didn't last too long as we got deported from Gothenberg ! dont ask ! so returned back to Hull on the ferry, then drove down to Dover and set off again for south of France, I got a bit homesick for my girlfriend so bailed out early, came home and ended up getting married to my wonderful girl a year or so later.

We are still together 45 years on ! five kids, eleven grandkids and one great grandson.

kind regards

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi, my name is Jade and I'm Chris Mee's youngest daughter.

I've loved reading these posts.

My dad still played in local bands in Wales (check out kk's blues band hoochie coochie man on YouTube) and Barry is still going strong, still living in Mapperly.

I'd love to hear from you and yes my Dad was always " out there" and I admired his individuality greatly :-))

He's an irreplaceable character and I miss him constantly. X

• Upvote 5

Used to know Chris and Jacko from the Kardomah great lads good mates.

They were both friendly with a guy who went in there Stewart Nelm........there is a long story there based on a party in the Park.

Hi Jade (vintagedoll)

Welcome to Nottstalgia.

Good to hear from you, yes I have got some great memories from back then, with Chris, Baz and the gang, we had some amazing times, and some great parties, and some good laughs.

We used to all meet up in either the Kardomah or the 4 seasons in Griffin and Spaldings.

Sorry for your loss it was a big shock to me at the time.

I come back from oz every 2-3 years and have tried looking up Baz but no luck, maybe next time.

I knew Chris when I worked at Plessey's in the late 60's . I don't remember whether he worked there or not, I think he did but he was often in the factory wandering about. We talked about blues and rock music with another character Paul Flanagan . I also know Nev Westerman , he worked at Plessey's , I've known him over forty years and worked with him for his last few years prior to him being made redundant about ten years ago. Plessey's were a great place ro work in the 60's and 70's prior to that robbing barsteward Weinstock and his bunch of GEC cowboys asset stripping the place in the 90's.

• 2 years later...

Chris Mee who used to live in Nottingham and play in many local groups in the 1960s and 1970s has died at home in Wales.

Any one have any more info?(please)

Is that the Chris Mee who lived on Meadow Lane, Chilwell when was a young lad?

Is that the Chris Mee who lived on Meadow Lane, Chilwell when was a young lad?

The answer was in an earlier post.

Hi Jake,Chris came from Chilwell, he was a couple of years older than me, sorry to hear of his death.

• 6 months later...

I met Chris in 1963 outside the Odeon.He admired my Vincent and I admired his girlfriend. Later on we played in the same band.(1967_1973). He was a great guitarist and is sadly missed  Mike Anson.

• 2 months later...

Very sad to hear of Chris's death..

'65 (I think..may have been 64) I remember Chris coming into the Khardomah (Saturday) with a Rickenbacker 325 (Rose Morris 1996) Fireglo..fabulous short scale guitar.. I think he had just got it. He let me have a strum or two on it.. 'Ned' Nelms was there too..(we called him Ned..no idea why as we knew he was Stuart)

Chris was a great guy..few would have let a young novice (me) have a go on such a guitar..We used to take our guitars in (upstairs) Saturday afternoons and play away..no-one seemed too bothered..great days..

Anyone know what happened to Mr Nelms ??

Nick

• 2 years later...
On 4/10/2013 at 11:45 PM, jake said:

563074_432030040210267_727450117_n.jpgThis is the Chris Mee that I knew!

On 4/15/2013 at 11:09 PM, jake said:

Hi Brian,

It WAS me, still tall and skinny.I remember you and Will with the Land Rover that I think you both went to Africa (?) in.Also the nature reserve camping with Baz and Tony Odell and his suitcase.Great pity about Chris,I think it may have been his heart but not seen too much of him since he moved to Morfa Nevyn (wales) 

Jacko - I thought your big aim in life was to be bass player for Fontella Bass’s ‘Rescue Me”  - Sonja