nuisance marketing text messages and telephone calls

Not had any text messages but I do get calls on my landline. I must have given my number sometime and it's been passed on and on.

I have registered with the TPS and it has reduced the calls but it can't apparently stop the ones from Asia.

They go like this; someone comes on with a very strong Asian accent, Indian or such and says 'Hello, my name is Martin, or Andrew, or Stuart'

They use English names because they think it sounds better, It doesn't, it sounds ridiculous!

Then, 'Would you take part in a consumer survey, if so, your name will be entered in a £1000 prize draw' (that's just to get you hooked!)

They then go through dozens of questions, 'Would you be interested in laser eye treatment, energy price quotation, mobile phone contract, broadband services, charity donations, insurance, etc, etc.

I did it once and I purposely answered no to everything. Then I started getting calls. After a while, I realised what they do, they can't put no to everything so they ignore your answer and put yes to some, hence the calls, That's why I registered with TPS.

I get them on average about once a week, it's amazing how they never give up. I'd love to know what they get out of it and if there really is a prize draw!

I don't waste any time with them now, I give them two words and I'll leave you to guess what they are!

The Other half invited Anglia Windows round to give us a quote without telling me.

In fact she invited three companies round. They were all really difficult to get rid of.

Despite being told we were not interested, Anglia continued to ring us up asking us

to allow them to install the windows. Despite being told never to call again we continued

to get calls from them. I think they kept my number to give to new salespersons, because

I was difficult to deal with.

Never EVER invite Anglia windows into your house!

Yeah

Double glazing companies are the worst Mick.

Once they've got your details they will never leave you alone ever again.

Even if you buy their products and have full double glazing installed, they will be on the phone to you in 6 months time to get you to buy more stuff.

The worst experience I had was with Everest. My whole house is double glazed but they phoned constantly for years afterwards to try and get me to buy more. Even after I'd told them that I thought their products were crap.

I had to make a complaint to the Telephone Preference Service to finally get them off my back.

One thing I would suggest is to get yourself something like a 'yac' number. They are normally free.

Anyone that phones the number is asked to leave a message and it is then sent to your email.

Keeps cold callers away - and if it really is something important then you can always reply!

That reminds me.

I got a call from Barclays trying to sell me something.

I told them I was registered with the TPS.

They replied TPS did not apply to them because I was a customer having a Barclaycard.

My answer "Well if I close my Barclaycard account, I will not then be a customer"

They never bothered me again.

Oh, just one other thing. Do you know that the Police and Local Councils give your telephone number to market research companies?

If you've had a police incident or reported something to the Council, they feel that it's perfectly OK to pass on all your details and for market researchers to get feedback about their performance.

I was stunned when I found this out.

And because they are 'getting your opinion' and therefore not selling you things, they are not counted as cold callers and therefore not covered by TPS.

I was called by a company called Opinion Research.

I gave them my usual response involving sex and travel and put the phone down - and thought no more about it.

Next evening they called again about 9 p.m. The guy on the other end of the phone actually argued with me when I told him to p*ss off and kept saying 'No,no,no you don't understand'. I had to say very directly that I did not wish to be called by Opinion Research and to never call me again.

I found this out because I looked on Opinion Research's website.

I would invite you to look at the FAQ's on their site. These jokers think that they are allowed to bug anyone at home and they take the view that if you put the phone down on them or do anything other than say 'Do not call me again', they can keep calling.

The notion that anyone pays for a telephone line so that their privacy can be invaded (or people can try and sell them things) is of course, absurd.

If you get any of these companies, tell them very specifically that you do not want them to call you and then make a complaint to the Market Research Society on their website.

Council and police computer records are bound by both Data Protection, and in the case of the police certainly the official secrets act.

Ever Been on a Thomas Cook or other tour operators flight, where they give you a feedback form which also includes questions about your shopping habits personal details and even your finances, fill it in to win a holiday, or one lucky entrant on that flight will get a free drink. SUCKERS!

I like the story of the man who recently sued a cold call company for the cost of his time (94 calls @ 10 pounds a call and 60 pounds legal costs) and won.

His problem will be to locate the company to make them pay up !

"Mr Higgins invoiced the company £10 per call, stating they were wasting his time as he wasn't eligible for a PPI claim, and filed an application in a small claims court.

He has now been told the court has found in his favour, and that Synergy Leads Ltd has until today to pay him £1,000 – £940 for the calls, plus £60 costs for making the court claim application.

He is thought to be one of the first people in the country to have won such a case.

Mr Higgins, 38, of Wendling Gardens, of Bestwood Park, said: "I think it sends a message to telesales companies that there's a way for customers to fight back."