List of Some Companies I Recall.

Wireohm's somewhere off St Anns Road, can't place the exact street, both my Late Mum and her younger Sister worked there for a while. They made electric fire bars and precision wire wound reisitors.

Stag Cabinet Company, again off St Anns Well Road somewhere, My Uncle learned his trade as a Cabinet Maker there in the 40's after his national service in the 2nd WW... He and a few others voluteered to go to Dunedin in New Zealand to set up a factory down there in the early 1950's. He never returned, settled there and passed on a few years back.

GT Ranby...Commerce Square opposite the Church in the old Lace Market area... Started there as an apprentice elec in 1962. They did a lot of new school work, petrol station work and new housing in West Bridgeford.

J. Jones Electric, both contracting and rewinds. The contracting and rewind departments were on Canal Street near the traffic Island, they had their fitting shops on Daleside Road, where all the rewind section was moved to in 1968...I worked for them as an electrical fitter at the Daleside Works..

ARCO rewinds, not strictly a Nottm company as they were based in Birmingham, but had a small shop in Beeston, didn't stay with them too long!!

Wilson Ford Rewinds Park Lane Basford...Still going I believe, worked for them for a while as an electrical fitter, they also had a contracting department, Arthur Ford Electric..

Beeston Boiler Company Mona st?? Beeston......They had a saying that there wasn't a school in the UK without a Robin Hood radiator in the classroom.... Their boilers were all anmed after army officer ranks..The company was started and owned by a family who's males entered the army as officers...

Foraky's of Colwick. They were mining shaft sinkers, exploration drillers in mineral and oil and also drilled oil wells.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went out with a girl in the 60s who worked at 'Richard Stumps' on Haydn rd,anyone remember what they made?..........and don't tell me 'Cricket Bats' lol.

Neither C&A nor BHS are still on the British High Street Ian, although I think I’ve seen C&A in other European countries, I think they originate from the Netherlands.  BHS went down the other

I worked for Courtaulds in the paint company, International Paint. Once on a junior manager’s course at Leicester University I was sat next to this guy from Exquisite Fabrics?. He was marketing l

Commerce Square has been developed into very nice apartments, friends of ours live in one of the penthouses. They have fantastic views beyond Colwick in one direction and beyond Radcliffe Power Station the way.

Sorry I can't figure out how to single out one paragraph to comment on!!

As far as I can see the best way is to highlight the paragraph you want .

Copy and paste it (or press "Ctrl" and "V" ) into the reply box .

Then highlight it again and press the "I" button (from the reply menu box) to make it into italics and put speech marks either end of it......like this :

"Wilson Ford Rewinds Park Lane Basford...Still going I believe, worked for them for a while as an electrical fitter, they also had a contracting department, Arthur Ford Electric.."

......or give it a different colour too ?

"Wilson Ford Rewinds Park Lane Basford...Still going I believe, worked for them for a while as an electrical fitter, they also had a contracting department, Arthur Ford Electric.."

• Upvote 1

remember forakys colwick one of my brothers worked there for a while

Thanks David, I'll give it a go next time. By the way, did I see a letter of yours in the recent Bygones?

Bygones ? Being too far away , I don't get the Post . What was it about ?

As far as I remember , the only thing I contacted them about was the VE party on Park Road Carlton and then when they asked about anyone that went to the 63 Beatles concert at the Odeon .

LizzieM, when I reply to a post I'll just put the hash number in. For instance, if I was replying to Ayupmeducks I'd put something like, 'Ayupmeducks, with regard to Stag Cabinet (#1), I can remember'.....etc. I could never understand why people want to copy and paste the post they are replying to.

DavidW, #7

Well it must be your letter in Bygones! It takes up half of page 22 and headline is "1963: year of top gigs, a sore arm and teenage crushes" it's diary entries from May 1963 when you saw the Beatles (with Christine Ford!) see if you can get it online on www.thisisnottingham.co.uk. Publication date is 1st April 2013.

DavidW, #7

Well it must be your letter in Bygones! It takes up half of page 22 and headline is "1963: year of top gigs, a sore arm and teenage crushes" it's diary entries from May 1963 when you saw the Beatles (with Christine Ford!) see if you can get it online on www.thisisnottingham.co.uk. Publication date is 1st April 2013.

Thanks Lizzie ,

Thats the one I sent ! Annoying that they don't even send you an email acknowledging receipt of the email , let alone telling you they are going to use it .

I don't think Bygones is published online unfortunately .

Well if anyone could scan it or send me a copy PM me .

Firstly apologies this thread got high-jacked !

I have now received a pdf copy of the page about the '63 Beatles Concert from Bygones , using my diary entry from the time .

My sister in law is looking out for a hard copy tomorrow , if they are still available .

I am amazed they used the whole of my email , mentioning other tours the same year including Everly Bros, Little Richard,, Bo Diddley ,Searchers,Gerry and Pacemakers and even gave back up notes about some of the lesser known names .

Very kindly forwarded by LizzieM. She's made my day ! Good to know there are so many helpful people in these parts !

If anyone spots any follow-ups please let me know .

Dobson's of Colwick who made hydraulic cylinders and powered hydraulic roof supports for the mining industry, they also made lace frames and knitting machinery at their Deering Street works.

• 7 months later...

Arthur Barbers printing machine engineer's Quorn Road Sherwood.

Dad worked there during a break from the pits. Well remember him picking me up in their crane during the school holidays during the 50's and going to Sandiacre/Stapleford to install a machine.

Happy days, well at least for me.

• 1 year later...

I remember Len Harris very well, he was Works Manager at Wilson Ford when I worked there in the early 70's.

• 3 weeks later...

J R Makin & Son Shopfitters next to 36 Terminus bottom of Nottingham Road Basford.

Weldon & Wlikinsons Dyers & Bleachers Rawson Street Basford

P P Payne Ribbons and Labels. Haydn Road Basford

Thorn Bendix Electronics (Formerly Ericssons / Plessey) High Church Street New Basford

Gerards Soap Wilkinson Street, Bobbers Mill

Frank Harts, Paint and Wallpaper. Old Basford.

Earnshaws Paints Mill-in-the-Hole Bobbers Mill