List of Some Companies I Recall.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went out with a girl in the 60s who worked at 'Richard Stumps' on Haydn rd,anyone remember what they made?..........and don't tell me 'Cricket Bats' lol.

Neither C&A nor BHS are still on the British High Street Ian, although I think I’ve seen C&A in other European countries, I think they originate from the Netherlands.  BHS went down the other

I worked for Courtaulds in the paint company, International Paint. Once on a junior manager’s course at Leicester University I was sat next to this guy from Exquisite Fabrics?. He was marketing l

Dobson at Colwick, that was their hydraulic division, made hydraulic rams and coal face advancing supports, they also had a knitting frame factory on Deering St in the Meadows??

Foraky at Colwick, oil, gas and exploritory drilling company.

Castle Engineering on Castle Blvd.

Went out with a girl in the 60s who worked at 'Richard Stumps' on Haydn rd,anyone remember what they made?..........and don't tell me 'Cricket Bats' lol.

• Upvote 2

# 26, Tony

I spent all my Nottingham working life at Thorn Bendix in New Basford. Soon after I left in 1975 they moved to Blenheim Industrial Estate in Bulwell and not long after that they disappeared into oblivion.

A disappointment for me as the old High Church Street premises was yet another building from my past that doesn't exist anymore. My first home was demolished, along with my Infants School in Netherfield and also my Junior School in Arnold. I have nothing to go and look at to reminisce.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to our site......

Ages since I was on here! Memories ... The Arriba Club. Pinewood Camp... Bill Hayley. Johnny Ray... And much much more :)

One point midslady......you seem to be listing clubs and gigs you went to. This thread is about companies which people worked at :cool:

I think your memories would find a better home here. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5684&hl

At the corner of Haydn Road/Nottingham Road was a church. Just down from there was the part of Courtaulds where I worked. It was mainly a clothes wholesaler of (Walker Reid( ladies underwear and some outerwear. There was also a men's wholesaler (Luvisca) and then a children's wholesaler (Chaffinch). I vaguely recall a small area of machinists but I don't think they were there all the time that I worked for the company. It's the building that now has a gym.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
On March 19, 2015 at 5:33 PM, DaveN said:

At the corner of Haydn Road/Nottingham Road was a church. Just down from there was the part of Courtaulds where I worked. It was mainly a clothes wholesaler of (Walker Reid( ladies underwear and some outerwear. There was also a men's wholesaler (Luvisca) and then a children's wholesaler (Chaffinch). I vaguely recall a small area of machinists but I don't think they were there all the time that I worked for the company. It's the building that now has a gym.

Hope that helps!

I worked for Courtaulds in the paint company, International Paint.

Once on a junior manager’s course at Leicester University I was sat next to this guy from Exquisite Fabrics?. He was marketing ladies underwear from Hanover Square and was moaning about how difficult it was to deal with all those models. I though what a nut case, given at the time I was spending half my life in dry docks, blasting and painting ships, the nearest woman would be in a bar somewhere just outside the dock gate.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, IAN123. said:

I heard from a mate recently Martyn..he was a BP man..that we covered up rot and fatigue!!!

I was on a cradle..but never saw such a thing..he then said google The Equinox i think it was...lummee!!!

Ian 

I didn’t get what you were saying here 

• Like 1

Gotya - too early for me

You are right some owners were terrible, including some that should have known better. There was a huge loss of ships and their crews in the late 80’s and 90’s due to corrosion, particularly in tanker ballast tanks and on bulk carriers but not too much was done or heard about it. Its a awful thing to say but as the crews were mainly Philippino they apparently didn’t count as much. New regulations came out in the late 90’s and given all the stuff surrounding the Alaska Pipeline,  Texas City and the Deepwater Horizon I believe things have improved.

• Like 2

Samuel Morley was a very special man.

Son of John- who was no stranger to good deeds himself.sammorley510.jpgMorleys Factory(.Manvers St.area?)

Samuel Morley funded Childrens Libraries and helped the poor.

A Luddite sympathiser and Reformist.

His statue( that broke!). Is in our Arboretum.2489009_4959c794.jpg

My dad worked for a short time at Byron Horticultural on Watnall Road (I think).

A couple of other Hucknall companies that don't seem to get much of a mention were Stag Furniture (furniture makers) and Fanfare displays who made advertising boards. Both of these were located at the Farleys Lane end of Park Drive, just past Caddaw Avenue. There was also the Co-op dairy nearby.

I particularly remember Stag as there was always a smell of cellulose varnish (nail polish) around there.

I also note that as well as Johnson Avenue (named after George Johnson, a local councillor, philanthropist (I am told) and businessman, married to my cousin Kath) there is now, in that vicinity, a Betts Avenue. There used to be a Betts Street in Butler's Hill near Hankin Street but that seems to have gone. Betts Street was named after my grandfather. Betts is my family name.

A bit more family detail, John Griffin, mentioned previously on these pages, was cousin Kath's brother. Their mother was my aunt Dorothy.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/17359-the-lost-city/?tab=comments#comment-562475

• Like 1

I remember Stag Furniture being on Quorn Rd in the mid 60s. It was near to Bosworths a building company who I worked for in their stores during the 1966 summer hols from school while I waited to hear about my “O” level results.

I believe Bosworths were a subsidiary of Simms Sons & Cooke who my dad worked for on Haydn Rd. My dad later moved to SS&C's Joinery Department on Spring Close Lenton in the early 60s. Spring Close was closed later in the 60s when The QMC was built and my dad then transferred to the open cast coal site in Langar until he retired in 1976.

BTW my “O” level results were pretty poor and it took me 6 years of day release & night school before I got to Uni. I'm convinced if I'd achieved decent “O” level results I wouldn’t have done so well later. It was definitely a wake up call.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1