List of Some Companies I Recall.

This is a long shot.

The Raleigh Industries had an athletic club based on Old Coach Road for many decades.

There were also various other sporting offshoots within the company which were run by interested employees such as a swimming club based at the Radford Baths & a Badminton Club based within the works canteen after work.

It is the badminton Club that is of interest & anyone who may have been a member.

My father was a member for many years & around the late 50s or early 60s donated a large trophy to the club as an annual prize to the doubles winners. This trophy was originally won by Dad for boxing as a very young man prior to the second world war. I remember it kicking around the house whilst I was growing up.

The Athletic Club had the trophy restored & replated & Dad presented it to the winning doubles team.

I am unsure of the exact year but suppose it would be around the early 60s or late 50s.

A picture existed (long gone) of the presentation & I remember the winners were in fact twin brothers

As already stated...a long shot but I have always wondered what happened to that trophy as it must be somewhere. The resources of this site are amazing so I thought it worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went out with a girl in the 60s who worked at 'Richard Stumps' on Haydn rd,anyone remember what they made?..........and don't tell me 'Cricket Bats' lol.

Neither C&A nor BHS are still on the British High Street Ian, although I think I’ve seen C&A in other European countries, I think they originate from the Netherlands.  BHS went down the other

I worked for Courtaulds in the paint company, International Paint. Once on a junior manager’s course at Leicester University I was sat next to this guy from Exquisite Fabrics?. He was marketing l

Welcome Jopip

My dad also worked at "Raleigh"  years ago in the 50s/60s they used to have a sports day which I do have a couple of photos. I will see if I can dig them out, I think one was the football team and the other which is probably  not interesting was me on my dad's shoulders watching "Punch and Judy"

Now! Now!  members don't laugh   yes! I was a little girl once.

look forward to your post's Jopip

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, jonab said:

My dad worked for a short time at Byron Horticultural on Watnall Road (I think).

A couple of other Hucknall companies that don't seem to get much of a mention were Stag Furniture (furniture makers) and Fanfare displays who made advertising boards. Both of these were located at the Farleys Lane end of Park Drive, just past Caddaw Avenue. There was also the Co-op dairy nearby.

I particularly remember Stag as there was always a smell of cellulose varnish (nail polish) around there.

I also note that as well as Johnson Avenue (named after George Johnson, a local councillor, philanthropist (I am told) and businessman, married to my cousin Kath) there is now, in that vicinity, a Betts Avenue. There used to be a Betts Street in Butler's Hill near Hankin Street but that seems to have gone. Betts Street was named after my grandfather. Betts is my family name.

A bit more family detail, John Griffin, mentioned previously on these pages, was cousin Kath's brother. Their mother was my aunt Dorothy.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/17359-the-lost-city/?tab=comments#comment-562475

Hi just a  question can you remember "Fine Fare" it was some were near The Blue Boar do you know how long it was their. When did it close down? 

Yes, I remember the Fine Fare regional headquarters down Nottingham Road almost opposite Elkington's farm. It went through some name changes, I think. It was at a time when Garfield Weston https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Garfield_Weston was involved in buying out Burtons (of the Council House arcade) and Fortnum & Mason of Piccadilly, London (the Queen's grocers).

I don't know when it closed, I had left Nottingham, certainly left, Hucknall before that time.

Wagon Wheels are the things I remember that had the Westons biscuits name attached to them.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:28 AM, IAN123. said:

Lymns Bath St.premises

The sign says "Complete Undertakers". Is there any other kind? Do "Incomplete Undertakers) bury you with your a**e in the air so it can be used to hold the flowers or a bike rack??

• Like 1
On 6/18/2018 at 10:34 PM, IAN123. said:

Samuel Morley was a very special man.

Son of John- who was no stranger to good deeds himself.Morleys Factory(.Manvers St.area?)

His statue( that broke!). Is in our Arboretum.2489009_4959c794.jpg

This bust in the arboretum is not the one that broke(fell off a lorry) but a new one made about 1926

• 3 weeks later...

Ken Parr formed Pork Farms with a £9000 bank loan.Bowyers and other companies merged.Northern Foods was another Company name.Coy_0148.jpgBedford J Delivery van.Coy_0150.jpgDelivering pies & meats.Coy_0143.jpgTrays of sausages and cold meats.Coy_0146.jpgPork Farms Shop and Daybrooks Cleaners.

I remember when Pork Farms first started. The vans and street hoardings announced "This Is A Pork Pie Area" - no mention of the word "Farms" - this appeared later, added via a caret so it seemed to be an afterthought.

They had a shop in Hucknall at the corner of Watnall Road and the High Street - where Proctor's jewellers used to be, next door to May Bullen's, Newsagents. At the time, I thought their products were really good and tasty. In fact, I thought that all the time I lived in Hucknall and Nottingham.

When I was in the UK last Christmas I noticed in Chichester Sainsbury's that Pork Farms Pork Pies were still available. I indulged myself and bought one. What a disappointment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Far from being a full of flavour meaty treat, the pie was an abomination of rock hard pastry, NO jelly and tasteless fatty meat. As happens so often, a superior local brand loses all character and quality when taken over by some big conglomerate.

I should add that I gave some of the pie to my carer to try. Bearing in mind he is French and used to eating all sorts of strange things, he spat it out and declared it as inedible.

• Like 1

I think they just used to shove a whole pig in the machine at one end and the meat products came out  at the other. As you say, nothing was wasted. I used to like the pork pies made by Jack Baily’s at Upper Broughton but on my last trip I found that they had closed. I am always in pursuit of the perfect pork pie. Where can I catch one?

• Like 1

Elizabeth Kings were good pies. I don't kn what happened to that company, but nowadays, Dickensons & Morris of Melton Mowbray make fantastic pork pies ! Great with onion or tomato chutney !

Edited. Still going since 1853, and now produced in Cotgrave !

• Like 1
On 8/7/2018 at 8:52 AM, philmayfield said:

I think they just used to shove a whole pig in the machine at one end and the meat products came out  at the other. As you say, nothing was wasted. I used to like the pork pies made by Jack Baily’s at Upper Broughton but on my last trip I found that they had closed. I am always in pursuit of the perfect pork pie. Where can I catch one?

Iceland in Bulwell do nice pork pies !

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Midland Magneto & Electrical Co. Ltd.

The Embankment
15 Traffic Street
Nottingham
Postal Code:
NG2 1NE

0115-955-2233

They were here, next to the railway bridge, now Tram bridge;

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9487485,-1.1453025,3a,60y,5.16h,90.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soY3eUUQ6HVAXwj9rf0j03g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

midland mag went a long time ago can you remember cliff he swanned round there like royalty  We had all starters and dynamos repaired there I know they moved to new premises but I dont know if they are still trading I saw a 1930 electric sports car in there powered by milk float batteries  meeowed

Midland Mag. They were an institution. Each man was an expert in his field. The good thing was you could get to speak to the person doing the job and not just pass the faulty part over the counter. Now you just fit an exchange unit if you can physically get at it to remove it. They used to close the shop for their annual day out and take the opportunity to put a photograph in the Post of all of the staff. 

• Like 1
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2013 at 3:15 PM, jan.lowton said:

#12 Hiya

I worked at Dobson's 1966 to 68. Colwick Industrial Estate. Changed to Hilary's Blinds now I think.

I worked there at the same time, late '67 to April '68. in the warehouse, Ted Randall was my immediate boss. It was him who advised me to join the City Fire Brigade. Great advice !

I seem to recall Tomorrows World coming to film demountable things Jardine Dobsons had designed. 

Yes the pictures are of Brown Bros.when i went there for car parts to pay for them with cash or cheque the parts person would put it in a container and a vaccum system which sends it upstairs and a few minutes later the receit and change returns through the same system, does anyone know what this machine is called?

• Like 1

Not seen any for a good few years, but I know that my cash goes either down the tubes, or up into thin air !  thumbsdown