List of Some Companies I Recall.

Ah, come to think of it, I reckon I've seen them in Tesco's.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went out with a girl in the 60s who worked at 'Richard Stumps' on Haydn rd,anyone remember what they made?..........and don't tell me 'Cricket Bats' lol.

Neither C&A nor BHS are still on the British High Street Ian, although I think I’ve seen C&A in other European countries, I think they originate from the Netherlands.  BHS went down the other

I worked for Courtaulds in the paint company, International Paint. Once on a junior manager’s course at Leicester University I was sat next to this guy from Exquisite Fabrics?. He was marketing l

Does anyone know the company that had the oxygen and acetylene and other gases ithink it was on Nottingham rd.on the left hand side between Western Boulevard and Bobbers Mill bridge as you drove towards Nottingham,i would go there to get oxygen tanks and acetylene crystals for my dads garage,he had an antique acetylene tank where you mix the crystals with water to make the gas a very scary device which needed quite a bit of maintenance.

• 1 month later...

Is the C and A shop still around i remember going in there in the mid 50s with my parents was it across the road from woolworths and what did C andA stand for and what did they sell ?Also is British Home Stores still around?

Neither C&A nor BHS are still on the British High Street Ian, although I think I’ve seen C&A in other European countries, I think they originate from the Netherlands.  BHS went down the other year, one of Philip Green’s businesses.  

I remember buying a woollen skirt suit from C&A in the late 60s and on the first wear I got a rash around my thighs (it was a mini skirt) Turned out there were fleas in the hem!!  Got my money back, no quibble!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

C&A were still operating in Switzerland, Italy, Germany and France a month ago.

C&A closed down in the year 2000.

C&A was founded as a trading company in 1841 - 43 years before Marks & Spencer - by two Dutch brothers, Clemens and August Brenninkmeyer. Using the initials of their first names, they opened their first C&A store, in Sneek, in the Netherlands, in 1861.

The family expanded in to Britain with a London outlet in 1922.  (source THE INDEPENDENT)

*********************************************************************************************************************************

1928: A group of American entrepreneurs set up British Home Stores. The first store is in Brixton and nothing in the store costs more than a shilling (5p) - double that of rival Woolworths' maximum price of sixpence

2016: Struggling with debts of more than £1.3bn, including a pensions deficit of £571m, BHS files for administration. Failure to find a buyer means it will be wound down, with the loss of up to 11,000 jobs (source BBC News)

• 3 months later...

N.C.V ( Nottm commercial Vehicles)  finished before I moved to the area 32 years ago.

NCV Car Sales that were on the site moved to Newark when Aldi bought the site  around 5 years ago.

It had 3 or 4 other car sales / MOT businesses on the site at it's peak.

They built a pub on the end where the houses are now, but that was demolished a good few years ago.

I beleive that land was originally part of NCV.

Was G&M;

y5aQLVA.png

Then NCV Cars

UHcj90v.png

Then this happened

zzxkNiE.png

Then this, Aldi  hit problems with the foundations originally and abandoned the site but the new shop is well on it's way up now.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9968767,-1.1790597,3a,75y,275.66h,70.21t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1seqPAl9J1KrbHsGTCiswhDA!2e0!5s20180801T000000!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

I drove a Traveller once. I remember it being very creaky, probably from the rear doors. A friend of mine, who used to own Selby’s vehicle refinishers, has an immaculate fully restored Traveller in rose taupe. Why you would want to restore one of those heaven only knows!

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Anyone remember the big lumber yard which was on Broxtowe Lane behind the John Barleycorn pub i always remember seeing huge tree trunks stacked up there ,is it still there now?

All gone, now, along with the Barleycorn. Wasteland, at the moment. I remember a chap who worked at the yard, cannot remember his name. He was a churchwarden at Christ Church down the road. Big chap, never fazed - but visible upset when we lost our vicar, Cyril Miles, to a car accident in Germany - he always drove his 1100 too fast! He was a big Jazz fan (the vicar, that is)

Blimey! another missive from Rambling Sid Rumpo.

Not sure where to put this post but I'm looking at Nottingham Companies  that are still with us as I can't recall many maybe member's can help.

1 Lymns a family undertaker    in Nottm and still with us

2/ Hopwells the family used to live on Robin Hood Chase back door was facing my grans

3/ Henry Boot a hebailist then Chemist name stays but Boots company no longer belongs to Nottingham.

can any one think of any more?

Ian Finn, The woodyard was Bramley's. Could always smell wood in that area. Cyril Miles was supposed to marry us but was killed 3 weeks before our wedding.  Had to have a stand-in from St. Mary's Church in town.

Ian  I think Austin Reed closed quite a while ago have not seen shop's for a long time, Dolcies was part of Leicester shoe company remember going down Clumber St nearly every shop was a shoe shop believe it or not they all or almost all belonged to the Liecester Shoe corporation,  and there is not one shoe shop left on Clumber St,  Shoe shop that is. Gunn and Moore still make Cricket bats but no longer have the shop in Nottingham. Sissons and Parkers if I remember they had a shop top of Hockley which is now a charity shop, Sisson's moved to bottom of Exchange walk if my memory  serves me correctly it was a pub called the Wagon and Horse's now sold and is a supermarket, sorry they moved to the old book store, can't remember it's name.   I'm sure if any of this is not correct some member will tell us.

PS Passed by Kemp's  which sold antique jewellery  and there was a For Sale on the out  side not sure if it was the shop or building.  Kemp's  is on Derby Road and it was 11 30 on a Friday morning so i would say that business looks like it's also finished.        :(

9 hours ago, katyjay said:

Ian Finn, The woodyard was Bramley's. Could always smell wood in that area. Cyril Miles was supposed to marry us but was killed 3 weeks before our wedding.  Had to have a stand-in from St. Mary's Church in town.

Our Youth group leader, (Grant) Keith Welch, took over from Cyril. Much later, he became Bishop of Epping Forest.

• 2 months later...
On 4/13/2013 at 9:04 PM, Ayupmeducks said:

J. Jones Electric, both contracting and rewinds. The contracting and rewind departments were on Canal Street near the traffic Island, they had their fitting shops on Daleside Road, where all the rewind section was moved to in 1968...I worked for them as an electrical fitter at the Daleside Works..

ARCO rewinds, not strictly a Nottm company as they were based in Birmingham, but had a small shop in Beeston, didn't stay with them too long!!

Wilson Ford Rewinds Park Lane Basford...Still going I believe, worked for them for a while as an electrical fitter, they also had a contracting department, Arthur Ford Electric..

If you were at J Jones, did you ever come accross Dave Simpson, From Hucknall..... Absolute legend! Fantastic Panel Guy, I learnt a lot from him.