Ayupmeducks

List of Some Companies I Recall.

Samuel Morley was a very special man.

Son of John- who was no stranger to good deeds himself.sammorley510.jpgMorleys Factory(.Manvers St.area?)

Samuel Morley funded Childrens Libraries and helped the poor.

A Luddite sympathiser and Reformist.

His statue( that broke!). Is in our Arboretum.2489009_4959c794.jpg

Must be the same family as I & R Morley in Daybrook. 

My dad worked for a short time at Byron Horticultural on Watnall Road (I think).

A couple of other Hucknall companies that don't seem to get much of a mention were Stag Furniture (furniture makers) and Fanfare displays who made advertising boards. Both of these were located at the Farleys Lane end of Park Drive, just past Caddaw Avenue. There was also the Co-op dairy nearby.

I particularly remember Stag as there was always a smell of cellulose varnish (nail polish) around there.

I also note that as well as Johnson Avenue (named after George Johnson, a local councillor, philanthropist (I am told) and businessman, married to my cousin Kath) there is now, in that vicinity, a Betts Avenue. There used to be a Betts Street in Butler's Hill near Hankin Street but that seems to have gone. Betts Street was named after my grandfather. Betts is my family name.

A bit more family detail, John Griffin, mentioned previously on these pages, was cousin Kath's brother. Their mother was my aunt Dorothy.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/17359-the-lost-city/?tab=comments#comment-562475

• Like 1

I remember Stag Furniture being on Quorn Rd in the mid 60s. It was near to Bosworths a building company who I worked for in their stores during the 1966 summer hols from school while I waited to hear about my “O” level results.

I believe Bosworths were a subsidiary of Simms Sons & Cooke who my dad worked for on Haydn Rd. My dad later moved to SS&C's Joinery Department on Spring Close Lenton in the early 60s. Spring Close was closed later in the 60s when The QMC was built and my dad then transferred to the open cast coal site in Langar until he retired in 1976.

BTW my “O” level results were pretty poor and it took me 6 years of day release & night school before I got to Uni. I'm convinced if I'd achieved decent “O” level results I wouldn’t have done so well later. It was definitely a wake up call.

• Like 1