Ayupmeducks

List of Some Companies I Recall.

On 8/7/2018 at 8:52 AM, philmayfield said:

I think they just used to shove a whole pig in the machine at one end and the meat products came out  at the other. As you say, nothing was wasted. I used to like the pork pies made by Jack Baily’s at Upper Broughton but on my last trip I found that they had closed. I am always in pursuit of the perfect pork pie. Where can I catch one?

Iceland in Bulwell do nice pork pies !

• Like 1

I have to drive 35 miles to Iceland for my fixes.

Brains Faggots.

Pickled Cabbage.

Piccalli.

Turbo Curry.

Crosse & Blackwell beans.

HP Beans .

You'd laugh Mick..the woman said to me the other week.

"It's only you buying them..most gi' 'em the dog"...they are ony €1.99 for six!

The treacle sponge ..they sell...is about the only thing that i can identify in a positive way ...school.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Midland Magnto is still on Canal st i used to get dynamoes rebuilt there in the 60s.

Midland Magneto & Electrical Co. Ltd.

The Embankment
15 Traffic Street
Nottingham
Postal Code:
NG2 1NE

0115-955-2233

They were here, next to the railway bridge, now Tram bridge;

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9487485,-1.1453025,3a,60y,5.16h,90.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soY3eUUQ6HVAXwj9rf0j03g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

midland mag went a long time ago can you remember cliff he swanned round there like royalty  We had all starters and dynamos repaired there I know they moved to new premises but I dont know if they are still trading I saw a 1930 electric sports car in there powered by milk float batteries  meeowed

Midland Mag. They were an institution. Each man was an expert in his field. The good thing was you could get to speak to the person doing the job and not just pass the faulty part over the counter. Now you just fit an exchange unit if you can physically get at it to remove it. They used to close the shop for their annual day out and take the opportunity to put a photograph in the Post of all of the staff. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2013 at 3:15 PM, jan.lowton said:

#12 Hiya

I worked at Dobson's 1966 to 68. Colwick Industrial Estate. Changed to Hilary's Blinds now I think.

I worked there at the same time, late '67 to April '68. in the warehouse, Ted Randall was my immediate boss. It was him who advised me to join the City Fire Brigade. Great advice !

I seem to recall Tomorrows World coming to film demountable things Jardine Dobsons had designed. 

Yes the pictures are of Brown Bros.when i went there for car parts to pay for them with cash or cheque the parts person would put it in a container and a vaccum system which sends it upstairs and a few minutes later the receit and change returns through the same system, does anyone know what this machine is called?

• Like 1

They were Lamson pneumatic tube systems. An American patent. Some systems used wire cateneries. Horne Bros, the mens outfitters, had pneumatic tubes.

Not seen any for a good few years, but I know that my cash goes either down the tubes, or up into thin air !  thumbsdown

Ah, come to think of it, I reckon I've seen them in Tesco's.

Does anyone know the company that had the oxygen and acetylene and other gases ithink it was on Nottingham rd.on the left hand side between Western Boulevard and Bobbers Mill bridge as you drove towards Nottingham,i would go there to get oxygen tanks and acetylene crystals for my dads garage,he had an antique acetylene tank where you mix the crystals with water to make the gas a very scary device which needed quite a bit of maintenance.

The only other name I remember where you could get Oxy / Acc bottles was Airproducts.

Apart from the fabrication businesses that would swap bottles if you had aquired them elsewhere.

Is the C and A shop still around i remember going in there in the mid 50s with my parents was it across the road from woolworths and what did C andA stand for and what did they sell ?Also is British Home Stores still around?

Neither C&A nor BHS are still on the British High Street Ian, although I think I’ve seen C&A in other European countries, I think they originate from the Netherlands.  BHS went down the other year, one of Philip Green’s businesses.  

I remember buying a woollen skirt suit from C&A in the late 60s and on the first wear I got a rash around my thighs (it was a mini skirt) Turned out there were fleas in the hem!!  Got my money back, no quibble!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

C&A were still operating in Switzerland, Italy, Germany and France a month ago.

Last time I was in Paphos Cyprus Woolworth were doing OK...

C&A closed down in the year 2000.

C&A was founded as a trading company in 1841 - 43 years before Marks & Spencer - by two Dutch brothers, Clemens and August Brenninkmeyer. Using the initials of their first names, they opened their first C&A store, in Sneek, in the Netherlands, in 1861.

The family expanded in to Britain with a London outlet in 1922.  (source THE INDEPENDENT)

*********************************************************************************************************************************

1928: A group of American entrepreneurs set up British Home Stores. The first store is in Brixton and nothing in the store costs more than a shilling (5p) - double that of rival Woolworths' maximum price of sixpence

2016: Struggling with debts of more than £1.3bn, including a pensions deficit of £571m, BHS files for administration. Failure to find a buyer means it will be wound down, with the loss of up to 11,000 jobs (source BBC News)

There is a C&A in the main shopping area of Nice and another sort of warehouse type place at Villeneuve-Loubet between Nice and Antibes/Juan le Pins.