I am searching for any offspring of Joseph Kirby who died in Nottingham about 1944. He had worked at the Danks stables for over 40 years. My mother Mae Kirby was his daughter and I know there were many siblings. One of the sons became the Mayor of Ilkeston and made all the papers when his car caught fire when he was on the way to visit the Queen.

It wasn't until I started a little research into ancestry that I became aware that my mother had siblings, apparently there had been a bit of a dust up and she didn't speak to them again.

To anyone out there related I would be glad to get some info. and I promise I'm not holding the same grudge;-).

George.

Hello George,

Best of luck with your search, and don't stop looking. My sister found the family that put her up for adoption, and now she has blood sisters who love her very much - a new family for her to love too.

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that George may know some names of May Kirbys siblings by now . Its probably more to find out any present day descendants ?

From a previous online request by I am assuming the same George , going back 13 years , Joseph Kirby married a Harriet Leach in Nottingham Sept Qtr 1884 .

May Kirby was born in Jun qtr 1896 . Thats May with a y .

She married George Moore in Nottingham in 1921.

I dont have any credit left now but I would imagine that if you could search the Census' of 1891, 1901 and 1911 you would find most of Mays siblings.

Thank you all for the info.

DavidW , you must have the memory of an elephant. It probably was me searching 13 years ago. You have it all OK except she did not marry George Moore, she married Daniel John Moore. They had 3 children, Edward, Iris and me George.

fch782c

I had not seen this, thank you so much. I have not been as active in searching as I should but now I intend to get serious. I have a daughter in law that is "sure" she comes from lords and ladies while I know I come from poor sod busters. If I had time I might challenge her but for now, she's happy.

I knew a Philip Kirby he lived in the entry that ran from ryland cresent onto wilford cresent west sorry iforget what it was called i knew him in the seventies i guess he would be about 60 or there abouts now. good luck in your search .

DavidW

I wanted to know the siblings names because I couldn't find the family on the 1901 census but have now found them on the 1911 as May's year of birth is now known - she's transcribed as Mary. To find descendants you have to obviously know their names, to find who they might have married and any possible children/grandchildren.

• Upvote 1

DavidW

I wanted to know the siblings names because I couldn't find the family on the 1901 census but have now found them on the 1911 as May's year of birth is now known - she's transcribed as Mary. To find descendants you have to obviously know their names, to find who they might have married and any possible children/grandchildren.

Apologies Ann , my wording was bad , you are absolutely correct :-)

annswabey

Ann,

I was into family history heavy for a while but then got side tracked. I have traced my MOORE line back to a Samuel Moor 1681? marrying marrying Elizabeth Mee 1684. My father,Daniel John Moore was born in Dekalbe, Illinois, June 8 th, 1893. His father John Moore and mother Ada Alexandra emigrated to the US earlier that year with their daughter Susannah. They came over on Etruria. They stuck it out for about 8 years and the story goes that John was a stubborn old cuss and would not wear ear muffs during the winters. He worked as a gardener so was outside a lot. He left for England leaving wife and kids over here until he could afford the fare to bring them back. I think that that was somewhere around 1901-1903.

Joseph H Kirby seems to have married a Lucy Whitchurch in 1910. Found one child to them - Edna May, born 1912. She may have had children who might well still be alive.

Found a few possibles for marriages for the other siblings but without the certs, can't tell which, if any of them, are right. Do you know who any of them married?

As I said Ann, I didn't even know we had relatives until I started checking ancestry. You have already given me names I had never heard of. Thank you. I will try to check with my sister who is 86 to see if any of these ring a bell. I have no doubt you are correct.

I HAVE ALWAYS FOUND ANNE VERY HELPFUL WITH MY SEARCHES AND MORE THAN ONCE SHE HAS GOT ME BACK ONTO THE RIGHT TRACK AND THIS HAS PUSHED ME TO DO FURTHER RESEARCHWHEN I HAD BEEN JUST ABOUT READY TO GIVE UP,AND FOUND OUT MORE INFORMATIONI USUALLY GO TO THE MORMON CHURCH IN WESTBRIDGEFORD OR THE NOTTINGHAM ARCHIVES AS I CAN DO FREE SEARCHES THERE AS HAVING LIVED ON BENIFITS FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS IT WAS THE ONLY WAY I COULD DO IT.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR RESEARCH

anne will always help if she can but i have always found most members will help you with your querries on whatever subject if they can

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...