Ok, nothing to do with immunisations in 2013, nor in the past 50 or 60 years, but we buried my dear old Dad this week in the same grave as his 7 year old brother who died of Measles in 1937.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was, and still is, a lot of kerfuffle about the MMR vaccine, the TB and Polio jabs and now CV-19. There s no such thing as 100% safe, someone somewhere will have an adverse reaction and start a

Can you remember the iron lung? which was used when children had Polio. Measles was an  highly infectious viral disease causing a red rash, mostley in children and could lead to serious complications.

Modern disorders in Kids include 'Eating Disorders' We never had those because we were poor and lucky to get a good meal every day.

In Scotland, the peck was used as a dry measure until the introduction of imperial units as a result of the Weights and Measures Act of 1824. The peck was equal to about 9 litres (1.98 Imp gal) (in the case of certain crops, such as wheat, peas, beans and meal) and about 13 litres (2.86 Imp gal) (in the case of barley, oats and malt). A firlot was equal to 4 pecks and the peck was equal to 4 lippies or forpets.

[source Wikipedia]

I've always liked Firkin as a measure..................Firkin, Firkin, Firkin............ :biggrin:

No idea why - but a firkin of beer (according to the omniscient - but sometimes wrong - Wikipedia) is 9 imperial gallons (or 40.91481 litres). However a firkin of wine is 70 imperial gallons or about 318 litres - that's a lot of stuff to sup !

I do remember doing some elementary surveying on the playing field at Long Eaton Grammar School under the tutelage of the late and fondly remembered Ken Plampin, using a proper surveyer's chain. (22 yards = 1 chain, 10 chains = 1 furlong, 8 furlongs = 1 mile).

(Sorry - this has wandered rather a long way off the subject of measles!)

Which also brings up some other British measuring oddities - some of recent origin like why on earth do you buy petrol in litres, but measure fuel consumption in miles per gallon?

Many years ago Motor magazine had a discussion on odd measurements, the conclusion of which was that speed should be measured in furlongs per fortnight!

In short Eric, we would happily buy fuel in gallons, but it's not allowed now. (Actually most people now buy it by monetary value irrespective of quantity). However as you know miles continue to be the measure of distance - not kilometres, so miles are bound to be involved in economy figures - and I guess miles per litre or litres per hundred miles would be a bit of a lash-up. Obviously measuring the distance obtained from a given quantity is strictly a measure of fuel economy rather than fuel consumption (the higher the figure the better the economy).

I am, of course, an old curmudgeon, but it has long been my view that the imperial measurements came in useful and practical sizes and quantities, whereas metric goes for units that are either too big or too small.

I love the thought of furlongs per fortnight - that's about my speed. I have a real chain measure and I once posted a photo of it on here somewhere. can't find it now; perhaps someone can help?

The Imperial gallon is defined as the volume of 10lb of water at 62°F, which works out at 277.4194 cubic inches.

Ale measures 9 gallons = 1 firkin 4 firkins = 1 barrel

Brilliant! :)

Only use of a chain is to mark out a cricket wicket - or has these been converted to metric yet?

Only use of a furlong is horse racing.

Best ponder the two above with a firkin of ale? :)

After 9 gallons of falling-over water I suspect you may not be doing much pondering at all !

And the chain was used in mining surveying, pre the surveyors tape..Imagine carrying a chain miles and miles down low roadways!! Usually the job of the trainee surveyor or lines lads.

Here's what Wiki says.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunter%27s_chain

• Upvote 1

Agriculture also used the chain. It was an agricultural advisers' office that gave me my chain.

Back to measles.Off the beach here we have had a massive fish kill,and many juvenile Dolphin deaths. Same virus that causes measles and distemper in dogs.

With the massive fish kill and Dolphin deaths,now we know about the cause,we need to know how the virus infected the animals.
Interesting how similar it is to the canine variety.
Morbillivirus infections which were not documented in aquatic mammals until 1988, have caused at least five epizootics in these species during the last 10 years

Antigenic and molecular biological studies indicate that a newly discovered morbillivirus, termed phocine distemper virus, and canine distemper virus were responsible for recent pinniped epizootics; cetacean die-offs were caused by strains of a second, newly recognized cetacean morbillivirus. Serological evidence of morbillivirus infection has been identified in a broad range of marine mammal populations and recent epizootics probably resulted from transfer of virus to immunologically-naive populations.

My stepson(27) has just come down with a mild case of mumps & hehas had the MMR jab too.

Question. when did a jab for mumps(just mumps & not MMR) first become available?

My mother(83) says I had one when I was a nipper but I think a jab for mumps didn't come out till after I had left school in 1965.

I have not had mumps .............................................yet.

The MMR vaccine is very effective against measles, mumps, and rubella, but it is not perfect. MMR vaccine reduces the risk of getting mumps, especially if you get two doses. People who have received two doses of the MMR vaccine are about 9 times less likely to get mumps than unvaccinated people who have the same exposure to mumps virus. However, some people who received two doses of MMR can still get mumps, especially if they have an intense exposure to the mumps virus. If they do get mumps, people who have been vaccinated are likely to have less severe illness than unvaccinated people with mumps.

MMR -UK 1988 Bubblewrap.