- UFO's - NOTTINGHAM

I'm no Bible Thumper - to me, the Bible is a book just like any other book. I see it as a history book with flaws as in any history book. In fact to me, the lord really wants you to enjoy your life, be happy , and help everybody you can along the way. "And on the way out, pick up a little garbage and everythings gonna be alright" John Sebastion.....Woodstock 1969.

To Mr. Beefsteak: "He is the god of nothing, if that's all you can see - he is the god of everything, he's inside you and me". Ian Anderson

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure how religion got into this thread but I personally think it should stop right now before things get heated. They always say, never discuss politics, religion or money. They cause too many arg

Could.nt have put it better meself Colly...........lol

Hey Margie, was there any lettering on the UFO ? Like "Eat At Eptons for your Fish & Chips"  ?  

So you're saying that it's OK to kill millions in the name of strange things you hear that live inside of you ?? They've put people to death for less than that !

Not sure how religion got into this thread but I personally think it should stop right now before things get heated. They always say, never discuss politics, religion or money. They cause too many arguments.

• Upvote 6

It wasn't me honest... He started it mam!........................ slywink

tomlinson, my brother worked at RR for 40 years, coppersmith, helping to make the engines.

I had a cousin who worked there about the same time I think. It was an interesting time. All kinds of strange aeroplanes.

I had a cousin who worked there about the same time I think. It was an interesting time. All kinds of strange aeroplanes.

I seem to remember they had an Avro Lincoln which was used as some sort flying testbed - we used to see it going over High Pavement in the early 1960s.

We [on the Bells Lane Estate] always knew when they were testing an engine, different noise to the regular stuff. I remember one time there was an Ambassador plane at Hucknall, it kept coming over us. My little brother, a toddler at the time could not say Ambassador, and all he could get out was Fannyfanter. Ah the things that stick in your memory!!!

We [on the Bells Lane Estate] always knew when they were testing an engine, different noise to the regular stuff. I remember one time there was an Ambassador plane at Hucknall, it kept coming over us. My little brother, a toddler at the time could not say Ambassador, and all he could get out was Fannyfanter. Ah the things that stick in your memory!!!

There was also an Avro Ashton, an early Canberra and Lightning and of course the ill fated Vulcan, besides other occasional visitors.

our bungalow in Watnall was in direct line with the runway and all the planes taking off used to come directly over our roof, some of the larger ones only just clearing it (which was why only bungalows could be built there at the time) I also remember seeing or more usually hearing lightnings flying over, and the brilliant air displays they used to put on annually at RR.

And I also remember particularly the Vulcan bomber being tested and flying over our house in Arnold. Every time It came over it scared the life out of me, it was such an unusual shape and so damn big and loud.

Hi LizzieM - we had a summer camp way up in the mountains of New York State. There was an air-force base at Plattsburg, N.Y. - this was 1970 and at 8:00 in the morning the super-sonic jets were on their test flights, right over our heads - sounding as if they were slightly above the tree tops.

Needless to say, when they went faster than the speed of sound - it would make your heart skip a beat and scare the breath right out of you, with that sonic-boom.....rattling the brand new windows my father just installed. So I know exactly what you mean!

From my mum and dads house, on the Arnold side of Mapperley we could see the Hucknall aerodrome, and often watched the Vulcan bomber land and take off during its tests there.

Also we could hear the RR engines being tested.

Could also see Crich stand in Derbyshire and at night it used to flash, then after they built the M1 we could see the car headlights going North and South.

I used to spend hours with binoculars looking out the rear french windows. Was a sad day when mum died that I sold the old house with its wonderful views.

On the subject of V bombers in general........ as a youngster I went through a phase of being mad on planes, and I remember in the 1960s on a clear, sunny day you could look in the sky and see Vulcans cruising at high altitude (in the same way you see commercial aircraft today). Strange to think that was an almost-everyday thing back then.

On special occasions, as an alternative to a high-flying Vulcan, you might see a Victor or a Lightning.

Back in those days most commercial flight were prop still and didn't fly high enough to leave vapour trails. Only the military jets went above the 30,000 foot barrier regularly enough vis a vis Vulcan, Lightning, Victor, Valiant et al

• 3 years later...

Probably not UFO but in Nottinghamshire, was the 1980 Hollinwell incident in which some 300 children began to collapse and feel faint. 259 were taken to hospital. The cause is unknown but has been attributed to mass hysteria or the use of pesticides in the fields. Reported as The Hollinwell Incident "All Fall Down" and can be found on YouTube.

With regard to the UFO thread I think that the closing words of this song sum it up perfectly.

I pretty sure we have not been visited by aliens but I seriously believe there must be some sort of life in this universe aprt from us purely because of the odds.

Billions of planets out there I would think there as to be life of a king on one off them.

Gotta put me halfpenny in! My teacher many yrs ago, threw a handful of rice on the floor and said that the scattering of individual rice was nowhere near as many as there are stars in our universe and to say there was only one live planet namely earth there was ludicrous. I think she was right. Oh n beings as we are in the midst of another world war, l think we are doomed anyway.....on that happy note l'll go get me tea!

On 27/04/2017 at 1:49 PM, Oztalgian said:

Probably not UFO but in Nottinghamshire, was the 1980 Hollinwell incident in which some 300 children began to collapse and feel faint. 259 were taken to hospital. The cause is unknown but has been attributed to mass hysteria or the use of pesticides in the fields. Reported as The Hollinwell Incident "All Fall Down" and can be found on YouTube.

There's an old thread specifically on that subject.  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/4655-the-hollinwell-incident/

• Upvote 1

UFO's always seem to be lit up with lots of lights blazing away. I'm thinking why would they waste precious energy on lights? & if they did not want to be found out they'd turn their lights off. I've done plenty of chugging about in Land Rovers & 432's with only convoy lights trying not to be seen on night exercise's in Germany, mind you you could hear a 432 coming by the noise of it's 6 cylinder opposed piston 2 stroke multi-fuel engine roaring away. I expect aliens will use vectored thrust dark energy/positron powered hybrid engines with black hole afterburners to boost it's power in high gravity fields for when it strays near a quark star..

• Upvote 2

Poor night vision Steve?? Helps them see where they are going....LOL

• Upvote 1

I thought I saw a UFO once. In '70s I was sent to Oxford by work and decided on a very early start in order to there for 7am, down the M1 off at the A45 and follow the road they said, all very much pre satnav, So, it's about 3am and pitch black when it appeared.

Hovering about twenty or thirty feet off the ground, spaceship shaped, glowing a bright golden colour and looking really malevolent. I stopped, my heart pounding, mouth suddenly dry and decidedly not a happy bunny.

In the true tradition of the daft I thought "don't know what you are or where you're from but I'm coming through or I'll be late" and drove on. Closer and closer...I want me mam this is getting creepy... Turns out when I got really close it was a barrage balloon tethered to the ground at a military base and lit from below with sodium lights hence the strange glow.

No change of underwear required but Oh boy was it close.    :Shock:

• Upvote 2