Well done to Mansfield Town

Congratulations are in order to 'The Stags' after they secured the title and thus promotion back to the Football League.

Also , well done to Notts County on beating the champions elect away from home.

• Upvote 1

Well done to Braintree for beating the Stags 2-1 a week ago.

Unfortunately Braintree have a very small ground with drainage problems, and, as a result, and what with all our snow, had to play a backlog of games that their part time players (postmen, council workers etc), couldn't cope with, ie, 3 matches over the Easter weekend, requiring them to alternate with their second team. You may have seen what their ground is like when the FA Cup match against Tranmere was shown live on ITV a few months ago.

To finish in 9th place for a small town team with a ground to match is quite something, fortunately they have an excellent manager in Alan Devonshire, whom you all probably know, however, his success with such a team must have the bigger boys interested.

Just out of interest, comparing these players to their League counterparts, they earn a £200 match fee, and that's it !!

Braintree District Council are keen to have a new stadium built and I gather that the club are the richest in the Blue Square League with no debts, they could be playing Forest in a few years time!!

It's one of those weird little bets I had for a few seasons, (Only a quid on it, I don't normally have a bet so it was weird for me at least!) every week it was Notts to win and whoever was playing Florist and Mansfield to win also on a 'treble' result being that if it 'came in' I was happy for my team happy 'cause the local rivals had lost, and happy I'd made a few quid on the side. It only had to come in around three times in a season for me to be up, so I actually won a few bob the year Mansfield went down.

I stopped doing it when 'The Stags' went down, as I expected them to come back with a vengeance, but alas they didn't, but it looks like I may just have to start again next year.

• 6 years later...

If the Stags do not wake up to themselves they could be joining the Magpies in non league football.

The three teams below them all have games in hand over the Stags which if they were to win would put the Stags third from bottom and based on current form in real danger of relegation.

Hope Forest can keep up their push for automatic promotion or at worst a play off spot

Notts are an outside chance of getting back their league status.

Chesterfield look in real danger of relegation to the National League North

Lincoln look relatively safe

Derby unfortunately look safe

Mansfield have had a poor season thus far and the Radfords must be very disappointed after coming so close to promotion with David Flitcroft. I can't see them dropping out the league again but they could be playing Notts again in L2 if the mighty magpie's revival continues. It would be so ironic if Notts and Mansfield changed places.

The Mansfield fans really enjoyed Notts demise last season and were very disparaging about Alan Hardy. Mr Hardy brought a lot of it on himself but the new owners and management team seem to be getting Notts back on an upward trend.

I can't see Lincoln doing much now the Cowleys have left. I think they'll be back in L2 or even non league again quite soon.

I hope Chesterfield come good again. Kevin Randall was a great player for Notts in the late 60s

I think Forest might just make the play offs but thereafter who knows? 
Wayne Rooney is certainly having a positive impact at Derby after their recent woes. If Forest don't get promoted this season I predict Derby will be pushing them much harder next season.

Funny how Forest supporters don't mention Leicester much these days.

Only one team gets relegated from League 2 this year and Macclesfield are very close to going into administration which, if it happened  would probably mean they were expelled and no team is relegated this year. A good year to play badly? IIRC Stags benefitted like this once before when they avoided the drop from Div 3 to Div 4 as Peterborough were deducted points for irregularities and relegated instead.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/28/2020 at 7:16 AM, radfordred said:

Stags the pre-season favourites to win the league, the Radfords chucking money @ em, no wins in 12, manager sacked after last nights defeat, it’s all happening in Mansfield :Shock: Could be a job for young Nigel? 

I think the Radfords will sell up if the next managerial appointment doesn't perform.

Sky bet currently has Paul Heckingbottom installed as favourite