The last of the Co-oP department stores

Close this week!

They are Coalville, Long Eaton, Ilkeston, Derby and Chesterfield.

I think it's a shame really but with the best will in the world, it's not exactly the recession to blame for their demise.

They have been very poorly managed, selling a lot of, well, rubbish frankly and expensive rubbish too. They got themselves into a position where they simply couldn't compete with others which have flair, imagination and good buyers.

It will have a big impact, particularly in a place like Ilkeston where the store is in such a prominent position, it will be like tearing the heart out of the town.

Interestingly, the Co-op in Mansfield gave up some time ago and sold the store to Beales who seem to be doing ok with it.

I wonder if, in these troubled times, there will be anyone interested in taking on vacant three story department stores as another part of British retail history passes into oblivion!

We've mentioned it before somewhere, but it seems like the Co-op in Nottingham have had a long-standing death wish. Go back to the 80s and they still had the two big stores - Parliament Street and Broad Marsh. They were closed down and never replaced. Many of the smaller Co-ops have also disappeared over the years, at the same time as Sainsbury's and Tesco have been opening up their "Direct" and "Local" versions. Just the kind of places which the Co-op used to own.

In my slight experience of Co-ops in recent times, their food prices always seemed more expensive than any of their competitors. I'm surprised they've lasted as long as they have.

When I was little I use to dread my mum taking me to the coop on parliament street because that black marble and mirrored staircase scared the living daylights out of me for some reason it would give me nightmares and to this day I can't fathom out why did anyone else experience this

As I mentioned before somewhere on here I was a housewares / diy buyer for the North East Midlands Co op in the late 70s for about 3 years . It was based in Langley Mill and Ripley but slightly on topic as our best non-food store was in Eastwood .

The worst department store was the one in Belper . It was something only the Co-op would build .Situated on a hill at the top of the town it was like Wuthering Heights . It was a series of small rooms and each one on a different level with stairs everywhere . A nightmare to merchandise and security was also a problem.

We used to have a toy section that was right at the top in a kind of attic and couldnt afford to man it all year so it only opened for 3 months towards Christmas . Then it got locked up again , full of stock until the next Christmas ! No idea if the store still stands now.

Also wonder what happened to the Co-op department store in Alfreton as that was brand new in about 1980 .The nonfood section did Ok but the food section suffered when a new Hillards store opened down the road.

When we merged with Derby Co-op I ended up working in Derby , Eagle Centre and I absolutely hated it and it was through the new management that I left and moved to Cornwall .

Some of the Derby management , including the top boss later got jail sentences for some fruit and veg swindle .

Throughout Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire and many other places too, the Co-op have had some of best and most prime town centre locations any business could ever have wished for but their stores just seemed to stagnate and never moved with the times.

I remember Alfreton Co-op very well, again a prime location but when they pulled out it was split into smaller units and the main part now is a Wilkinsons.

The Co-op is known for holding on to it's property even if it's no longer using it, in fact they own most of Ripley!

With the sites they own, they've probably decided there's more money in being a property company than operating department stores!

Hi Stephen Ford

I was only about 3. Years old at the time, those stairs I think just seemed very dark and haunting. Its funny, 44 years later the little things that stick in ones mind.

Fch782c

• Upvote 1

Which stairs are you referring to? Would it be the Co-op in Arnold where you were banned as a baby for crying too loud, I remember it well!....Dad.

PS I just remembered you were banned from Arnold library for the same reasons, happy days eh!

• Upvote 1

No dad I wouldn't dream of crying in coop (honest ha ha ) didn't mums mum and Her brother David work in that store.

The store with the scary stair case was on Upper Parliament Street. All mirrors and black marble. Makes me shudder just thinking about it. If I can find an old photo I'll email it to you cos I've not worked out how to do it on here yet

How are you and mum? Xxx

I can think of a certain person that might not have had the sense to have taken your recent comment Re: my temper tantrums in Coop and reading establishments for what it was light hearted banter, but one can chuck a mardy like what real people do.

Throughout Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire and many other places too, the Co-op have had some of best and most prime town centre locations any business could ever have wished for but their stores just seemed to stagnate and never moved with the times.

I remember Alfreton Co-op very well, again a prime location but when they pulled out it was split into smaller units and the main part now is a Wilkinsons.

The Co-op is known for holding on to it's property even if it's no longer using it, in fact they own most of Ripley!

With the sites they own, they've probably decided there's more money in being a property company than operating department stores!

One of the problems was the fundamental set up of the Co-op. I can only speak of 30 years ago but each Society was owned by its members . Anyone who was a member could stand to be on a committee to run the society on behalf of the members. Therefore you could end up with say postmen, doctors or joe soap on this board , many of them with no experience of running a retail shop.

The appointed salaried management were responsible to this committee and it was very often difficult to get the committee to agree to any changes and thats one reason why it stagnated . They didn't like changes .