The thread on Bulwell Bogs reminded me of the Long Eaton bogs that were on the traffic island at the junction of the Nottingham and Tamworth roads. As a youngster in the 50's when we as a family had a trip out on Dad's motorbike and sidecar, we quite frequently found ourselves travelling home through Long Eaton and a stop for "relief" at the facilities was almost obligatory!

With all the redeveopment down there the facilities have long gone, but I wonder if anyone else knew the landmark well, and when did they disappear?

You mean this place - kinda hidden, but you can just see the bogs in the center of "The Green"

c1960green.jpg

That's the place, Eric. Photo' looks to have been taken late 60's so perhaps they were demolished when the road alterations took place some years later. I moved away from Nottingham in 1971 and seemed to remember they were still there then.

Mick, I hope this doesn't sound too strange, but I can remember those down near the Fire station; you stepped over the wall onto the grass verge up to the canal if I remember.

Next topic may be "Public Conveniences I have Visited" !

Can anyone remember the type which were just gentlemens urinals?

They were a U shape with just two 'stalls' inside and were built of brown glazed bricks.

I don't think they had a top on, they were open to the elements.

They must be totally extinct now!