Remember Buying Shoes and Seeing an Xray Of the Fitment

Am I dreaming or did there used to be a shoe shop (somewhere around Kings Walk) I think, my mum used to take me for new school shoes and I'm sure they had some sort of machine where you placed your feet in the bottom whilst standing and you could see like an x-ray image of the fitment ?

Don't know if I'm having a seniors moment or not.

Might have been Clarkes shoes, but not sure.

A good shoe shop in Harrogate was still using one up to about 1976 as we used to get the girl's shoes from there, one of them had a very narrow foot and the shoe had to be "made up" to fit correctly.

The shoe shop on King's Walk was Suster's.

I certainly never had my feet x-ray measured when I was growing-up in the 1960s, so I think those devices must have been banned on safety grounds in the 1950s.

I remember having X-rays in the shoe shop, my Mum always bought Clarks and Startrite shoes and sandals for us and I think we shopped at Craddocks which was where the Clarks shop is now, at the bottom of King Street. This would have been in the 50's and maybe into the 60's. I remember my little brother was frightened of the machine, as he was with the Daleks in Dr Who !!!

I remember having X-rays in the shoe shop, my Mum always bought Clarks and Startrite shoes and sandals for us and I think we shopped at Craddocks which was where the Clarks shop is now, at the bottom of King Street.

Surprised myself at finding this one.

craddock.jpg

• Upvote 1

They were definitely in use into the 60's but they may have been banned after that decade.

If you want to see one, you need to watch the Michael Caine film 'Billion Dollar Brain'

He recieves a suspect package by courier and takes it into a shoe shop to see what's inside it!

The pedoscopes, also known as flouroscopes, were in most large shoe shops in the 50s.

I looked through the smaller viewing window at my green feet and bones wiggling inside the shoes. My mother and the shop assistant would look down the the other viewing ports cooing what a nice fit the shoes were.

There was another thread on Nottstalgia about these machines but I am unable to find it.

`Orrible feet,Mick !

This shows x-ray of hallux valgus. Subtalar joint and tendon involvement leads to pes planus and ligamentous laxity. This contributes to lateral deviation of the great toe with resultant hallux valgus. Deformity can be hastened by the wearing of non supportive, high heeled or narrow-toed shoes.

Responslow of Stephen's reploding for inquesto of Stan downunderling?, prompty googlemost.

Mostresulty of yourtubelode in remembry of Proflode Stanley, Deep joy to beholding...