I was brought up in Gedling village on Hardys Drive 1940/50s and i have always wanted to know what the building would have been at the bottom of Westdale Lane on the corner of Main road,it was derilict and we local kids would play in the remains of the garden,for some reason mam referred to it as the doll factory,does anyone have any old photos of that area,sorry if i have asked about this before.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for your welcome. It was great to come 'home' to Gedling in 95' . Brief family history - my original family name was Culley, we came from Whatton in 1880s great x2 g/parents kept lodging hous

Nice find Bubblewrap. I'm sure you will find it an enjoyable read. I have just spent an hour scanning "The History of the Parish of Gedling" I found so many surnames of people I knew in my Gedling lif

You have got a better memory than me SueB. I remember being told about The "Doll Factory" but that's it for me. We had some fun in that derelict garden didn't we. Spent many times sitting on those v

I can't remember a derelict building there only the more modern one that replaced it . There is photo here , looks like turn of the century.

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturethepast/jpgh_derbyshire/DCHQ503337.jpg

If thats the building you mean .

The next building along Main Rd , though it looks like a normal house here , later became Lilians wool shop.

Looks like the Co-op there on the left .

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the map and photo,they are very interesting,i wondered if anyone knows if there could have been any bombings there in the war,the building looks to good to have become derelict so quickly, we used to play there approximately 1955,i know Gedling church had some damage in the war because Cannon Watson pointed it out to us when we married there in 1966 so there is a chance that the house too could have been hit.

carnt remember this building myself but do remember my mum saying there used to be a doll factory and dolls hostpital in gedling when she was a little girl. but carnt remember her ever saying were.

Thanks Piggy and Babs for letting me know you had heard of a doll factory or hospital,i am going to try to find more information about it ,there was always bits of dolls if i remember right but it was such a long time ago i was beginning to doubt my memory.

Thanks for the map and photo,they are very interesting,i wondered if anyone knows if there could have been any bombings there in the war,the building looks to good to have become derelict so quickly, we used to play there approximately 1955,i know Gedling church had some damage in the war because Cannon Watson pointed it out to us when we married there in 1966 so there is a chance that the house too could have been hit.

Whatever happened to Canon Watson? He married my late wife and I in 1965. I assumed he retired and maybe passed away by now. Always liked him, but can't find any reference to him on line. His son was my best man. Lost touch with him too.

• Upvote 1

Hi Loppylugs,Sorry i have no information on Cannon Watson as i Moved from Notts on my Wedding Day 1966 and i only visit the church for Weddings and Funerals,i too would be interested to know about him,perhaps someone will come up with some news.

cannon watson married two of my sisters at st georges church indeed when my eldest sister got married he turned up late had to be found on the golf course at mapperly. 1961 that was my other sister married a year later

• 2 weeks later...

Would that be what is now, well was, a corner shop... a number of different shops as none seemed to last all that long and has now had all its windows covered and looks asif its being turned into offices or flats.

High chance it may of been bombed during the war as netherfield was hit and its only next door to gedling.

Not much help i know lol

Thank you for your information Pixie,I haven't been to Gedling for a while so i am not sure what is happening with the building that is there now,but if you look back along the posts on this topic,there is a photograph and a map posted by other members that you may find interesting,the big house that was there could well have been the doll factory,and could have been damaged in the war,which would explain why it was derilict in the 1950s.

I worked in a building at the bottom of westdale lane some years ago people say the building was originally a company that made coffins not sure how true this was it was the last building at the bottom of westdale on the right hand side.

sometimes if the carpark was full i would park in the carpark accross mainroad gedling on ranmore road. i was always intrigued by the garden to the rear of a religious shop on main road called the mustard seed. in the garden was the remains of an old church carved stone arch containing the remains of a stained glass window, i realise this may have been placed there by the current owners but it just looks too natural in its current location like it has been there for many many years. I was just wondered if anyone was able to shed any light on this.

thanks

fch782c

Hi fch782c,I know exactly where you mean and it always gave me the creeps, still does, it has been there years i did know the story behind it but can't for the life of me remember,i still have sisters in Gedling and i will phone tomorrow and then put the story on here for you.

ah! I used to go to the mustard seed when I was younger. Infact, I'm planning to visit there next week as I'd like some rosary beads and someone told me to see if they sell them. where abouts is the wall? lived in gedling all my life but never seen a wall like that.

while on the subject of the main road. I used to go to all Hallows primary, next to it at the back was a farm shop but now has been made to a house, think it was turned into a house back in 2000 roughly. anyone remember the old shop?

while on the subject of the main road. I used to go to all Hallows primary, next to it at the back was a farm shop but now has been made to a house, think it was turned into a house back in 2000 roughly. anyone remember the old shop?

I remember that place. It was certainly a farm shop until the late 90s. Interesting if you look at the location on Streetview, the current owners have obviously decided they don't want to be seen. http://goo.gl/maps/vYwCE

that's a pitty. my mum used to take me to the shop before school for a pic n mix and whatever she was getting. I remember the conker tree the school had at the bottom and would of hung over the path to the shop. we used to collect as many conkers as possible, I remember the conker fights (before they were banned or kids had to wear goggles) and I used to put the ones that hadn't opened yet ontop of our fire at home

perhaps he would like to arrange a meet up for us at some pointnot too far out of the city to travel

now there's an idea! it's about a 15 min walk from my house to there. never been there though, I have an image of walking in and it being one of those places that everyone stares at you because they don't know you lol.

Anyone remember the record shop on Main Street ? I'm sure it was called Simons ?? I often would go in and have a look through their shelves though must admit , didn't spend much in there I'm afraid .

Also further along, used to go to the youth club which if my memory is correct was on the corner of Arnold Lane.

youth club I'm guessing would of been at the memorial hall? I used to do dance & kickboxing there. then went to a youth club at the white building on sheering hill. was an old station for the trains that went upto the pit so I'm told. no idea what it's used for now though