Anyone remember the record shop on Main Street ? I'm sure it was called Simons ?? I often would go in and have a look through their shelves though must admit , didn't spend much in there I'm afraid .

Never went in, but it was one of these buildings. Very small shop. Still existed into the late 90s. http://goo.gl/maps/RPBh9

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for your welcome. It was great to come 'home' to Gedling in 95' . Brief family history - my original family name was Culley, we came from Whatton in 1880s great x2 g/parents kept lodging hous

Nice find Bubblewrap. I'm sure you will find it an enjoyable read. I have just spent an hour scanning "The History of the Parish of Gedling" I found so many surnames of people I knew in my Gedling lif

You have got a better memory than me SueB. I remember being told about The "Doll Factory" but that's it for me. We had some fun in that derelict garden didn't we. Spent many times sitting on those v

not sure how correct this is but I was told the barber's (shown in the photo linked by cliff and the one with the brown window 2nd from the right) was a record shop. the one next to it I remember it being a green grocers. I remember also that the Italian restaurant next to co op further up that was choices video rental shop was a discount shop. went meny of times, mum would get me the odd toy or one of those lucky bags. I do love a good discount shop, I'm happy to see wise owl is still on Carlton hill & luckily we have one in netherfield.

Never went in, but it was one of these buildings. Very small shop. Still existed into the late 90s. http://goo.gl/maps/RPBh9

Thanks for the image but in my memory of more than 30 years ago, I think it was on its own , further down the road , about where the silver car was ?

The knit craft shop on the left , used to be called Lilians .

Hiya fch782c,if you click on the outside link on the post before this you can get on to Ranmoor Road behind the Mustard Seed and just see the stone church arch sticking up in the garden,cant give you any info today about it as my one sister says she to cant remember its story,i will keep trying tho.

Anyone remember the record shop on Main Street ? I'm sure it was called Simons ?? I often would go in and have a look through their shelves though must admit , didn't spend much in there I'm afraid .

I knew this subject had come up before somewhere. See post #78 http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3536&page=4

Apparently "next door to the Brooklyn Club", so maybe a bit further down the road as you suggested.

Thanks carni

the picture shows it well just above the fiat puntos bonnet it will be a shame if it has been destroyed due to the building of an extension as suggested byTRICKYMICKY It would have been nice to find out something from its history

Cliff ton Thank you,that is a good image of the church arch,there was also other statues and it just all looked creepy, i had always known about it ,but kind off forgotten until Fch782c mentioned it,i don't know if its still there or gone for ever now there has been a cafe built.I will try to find out.

that long since i went that way had forgoten what was down there.

gedling_church_ruins.png

I was in gedling visiting and dropping my daughter off at the mothers and had to go to the post office to collect a parcel that was delivered while out, its not often, infact its a rarety im even in that part of gedling but while i was there i thought id be nice enough to grab a couple of pics of the ruins for those who are interested in seeing them. Hope you enjoy :)

• Upvote 1

PIXIE Thank you for getting the pictures of the garden behind the mustard seed,the arch is very visible,it does not look as eerie as i remember,when there were trees round the garden and more ornaments,it is nice to be reminded,i wish i could remember how many years it has been there,i think it is quite a number of years,i wouldn't be surprised if it goes soon as it looks like renovation is in progress.

your very welcome. as I was walking to the bus stop near it I saw it for the first time myself and thought I'd grab a pic for you guys (and girls) see, never too far from my thoughts lol!

• 1 year later...

Thrilled to find this chat, heres what i know. Moved to Gedling in 1995, but family lived there from 1880s to 1939. The record shop was next to Willowbrooke Club. It is now The Flipping Good Beer Shop. Yes Pump Services is STILL behind it AND in business. The wool shop was taken over and called Laines, now called Knitworks and a cracking good shop. The Mustard Seed has a great tearoom and will not god bother you! The dairy- as I knew it- owners retired and converted it back to a private home. Never heard of bombs on Gedling don't think Nottingham bombed very heavily two serious raids but little else. Gedling really best known for Vesta Tilleys house on Tennyson, Arthur shewsburys tomb, All Hallows' and J R R Tolkien visiting his Aunt Jane at Phoneix Farm (oh what a lovely estate has replaced it!) Oh does anyone know if Harry Wheatcrofts mum did live on Hardys Drive, one of the houses is called Wheatcrofts

• Upvote 2

I am pretty sure the coffins where made by loaches builders ,who my dad worked for inthe 1940s they moved to Colwick later on

Thanks for your welcome. It was great to come 'home' to Gedling in 95' .

Brief family history - my original family name was Culley, we came from Whatton in 1880s great x2 g/parents kept lodging house off wood lane (buried at All Hallows') great grandad groom at Gedling house then worked for railway. Catherine married John Kiddier of Kiddiers brushes, Jack Culley on WW2 memorial - Lancaster navigator died 1942! Huge history buff loving reading ALL info on Gedling, what a great site and set of members

• Upvote 5

Hi Hardy3,

You have an interesting name, it is significant in my childhood memories. You see I grew up living in no 3,Hardy's Drive Gedling untill 1958/9.

Browsing the Internet this morning I found this snippit in the Gedling Church October? (year not Known) Magazine.It is the persons memories of Gedling Village as it was in his early days. It is as I, and I am sure SueB48 will remember Gedling from our early days as well.

The person writing the account, only walks us down one side of the village. but In the future he may walk us back on the Hardy's Drive side of the Main road. I hope you enjoy reading this.http://www.allhallowsgedling.co.uk/parish-magazine.html

• Upvote 2

Thanks all for some very interesting reading. Being a carltonian I did frequent Gedling quite a bit in my early years. I remember a shop opposite side of coop I think it was an electrical shop called Hopkins A lad I went to school with I believe it belonged to his uncle who now has Diddylands on Mapperley top.