Had another stupid idea! :(

On Saturday morning I was walking around the garden and it suddenly struck me that the part we keep under (poor quality) lawn would be better used as a large pond. I marked out an area roughly 21ft X10ft with sawdust and I'm now committed to digging and building the pond this summer.

Sometimes I wish my brain would keep its mouth shut!!

IMG_6951.JPG?gl=GB

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well done Compo lad!!

GOOD LOOK HOPE IT WORKS

Can't you knit one, from elastic bands?

I know you probably know already, but don't dispose of the soil you remove, place it around the outside as an extra piece of banking. and if you have Herons in your area, strap a couple of old tyres together (One on top of the other), put them in the deeper part , it gives a refuge for the fish to hide in.

Ta! Planning an embankment on the north side of the hole and, if they will grow, lilly pads in thw deeper part.

Even a breeze block or two in the deeper water whilst the lilies establish themselves will help to shelter the fish. (Oh, and get some pond snails and put a clump of pond weed in , but near the bank , as in the right conditions it will take over the pond in a matter of weeks !!)

Even a breeze block or two in the deeper water whilst the lilies establish themselves will help to shelter the fish. (Oh, and get some pond snails and put a clump of pond weed in , but near the bank , as in the right conditions it will take over the pond in a matter of weeks !!)

Give him a chance Beefy, he's not turned a sod yet!!............................. :laugh:

I have a smaller mature pond of 15yrs standing. It is full of stuff and keeps three fish fed without any help from me. I plan to transfer the stuff from the smaller pond (which has sprung a leak) into the new one as soon as it iss complete.

It's been snowing here today :( More forecast but only light showers. wind is the problem just now. Keeps blowing at or near gale force day in, day out.

what a lovely idea with a few lilies and yellow water irisplanted in it will look lovely a few blue iris planted aroud that flower about the same time will soon enhance your lovely garden

I will be starting to dig the pond at some point over the weekend.

I will be starting to dig the pond at some point over the weekend.

Photo's of your progress are compulsory............................... :biggrin:

Willco! Awaiting a break in the sleety weather ........

They certainly look settled in for the duration! :)

Pond update:

Whilst digging the pond I came across the old drain (Still working) from thew railway cottages; demolished in 1960. The large stone is a Caithness flagstone inserted upright to make a low wall around what looks to have been the cottage yard.

IMG_7047.JPG?gl=GB

Somehow I have to lift that stone tomorrow. I want to keep it in one piece so that I can use it as a ledge for fish to shelter under when I get the pond dug out completely :)

Pond now excavated all bar a few finishing touches. Hope to get the bedding sand and liner ordered this weekend. Photo later.

Pond now excavated all bar a few finishing touches. Hope to get the bedding sand and liner ordered this weekend. Photo later.

Well done Compo lad!!

• Upvote 1