Memories of walking the Trent

An image that often comes to mind when feeling windswept and cold here in the far north, is the walk by the Trent from Beeston weir though to Clifton Bridge in high summer. Lovely bankside vegetation and flowers, the slow, lazy churning of the river as it wends its way northwards, buzzing of insects and the heat on my shoulders. Wonderful!!!

An image that often comes to mind when feeling windswept and cold here in the far north, is the walk by the Trent from Beeston weir though to Clifton Bridge in high summer. Lovely bankside vegetation and flowers, the slow, lazy churning of the river as it wends its way northwards, buzzing of insects and the heat on my shoulders. Wonderful!!!

You mean when the temperature gets up to a scorching 15 C ?
  • Upvote 1

yes it can stll be done on the clifton side along the riverbut beestn side you have to use canal pathcome off at boots bridge up thane rd to cliton bridge under cliton bridge on to queens driveby the rd till you get back onto the embankment. i used to regularly walk the other end of the river from netherfield to stoke bardolf sometimes going further to burton joyce and ver occationally up to gunthorpe this route can still deffinitly still be done wheni got to gunthope i would get the bus back to netherfield or in later years carlton and then walk homefrom the bus stopsussually just me and the dog.

• Upvote 1

yes i would love to do it know. but i am having a good day if i can get to the bus stop wich aint very often

I have enjoyed a number of very interesting walks by the Trent. All the way from Ingleby in the south to the Humber estuary, there are lots of viewpoints and interesting things to see - though probably not all on the same walk!

The only real disappointment for me was a trek, generally along the west bank, from Nottingham towards Newark. I got to Kelham and found the footpath stopped abruptly at some private premises with signs telling everyone to head off across the fields to the nearest road. I believe there used to be a ferry crossing there at one time, so walkers could swap banks and continue up to Newark.

• Upvote 1

I think there was a good number of those small ferries across the Trent, that required a certain amount of shouting - or possibly ringing the bell provided in some places - to attract the ferry man. There was certainly one from Trent Lane Long Eaton to Barton in Fabis, which I think survived until the 1950s. Any others that anyone can remember?

• Upvote 1

I am lucky enough to live a few mins walk from Clifton Grove. A cracking walk down there. A steady stroll along the trent to Wilford and a pint in the Ferry to end it. Great place to walk the dog.

I walked the Trent from Newark to Stoke Bardolph once (Oxfam Walk) and it about killed me ! I had a new pair of hiking boots on and managed to go through the socks on the heel, I had blisters the size of 50p pieces and completed the walk in just my socks.
IMMSC I raised all of 5 quid for the charity (Mind you it was 1974/5 ish)

Lunchtime walks from the TBI to Wilford Bridge and back over the suspension bridge through Memorial Gardens with favourite girl.Another advantage of the wonderful location of Mundella before the vandals destroyed it. No foul Canada geese in those days only lots of swans.

ferries i remember

wilford to the meadows

home pierpoint to colwick parl

stoke bardolf to radclife side.

i think one at gunthorpe

and one at hazleford

Lovely evening tonight by the river at Burton Joyce . Had a very fleeting visit and a meal at a surprisingly busy (or short staffed) Ferry Boat .

Watched someone on the opposite side drive down and set up for an evening BBQ , so spring must have sprung .

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...