2%20B%205_zpsusukscav.jpg

Give it here says Chris you've got to lean in to it, then you'll be OK, in the mean time Neil has gone for a sit down.

2%20B%206_zpst1atrezb.jpg

Lots of fire in the smoke, pink toilet tissue flying in the air (top left) and he..................missed the clay.

2%20B%207_zpswqfmahux.jpg

Wobbly unsteadily off the firing point, at least he stayed on his feet and kept hold of the gun....just. What you can't see is the bent glass's and slightly bloody nose.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to reassure our Colonial members that my comments about air rifles was only aimed at chavvy boneheads from estates that take great delight in maiming cats, dogs, rabbits and any other defenceless

I think you touched on where the snake problem came from, John.   Folks who will stupidly buy an exotic pet and then when it starts to get big and a bit threatening dump it in the Everglades or some o

Noooooooo!  I love little 'cyrils' as our youngest grandson used to call them..

Great stuff,looks fun,the thing is where would we be if it were'nt for pioneers,back street mechanics,and crazies,probably still throwing stones at each other and living in caves,enjoyed your memories and now the pictures

Rog

Just in case some one doesn't how smooth bore guns are sized it's all to do with a pound of lead....

You take your pound of lead and split it into 20 equal balls i.e. a 20 bore or 0.617"

Do the same to make 12 equal balls and you have a 12 bore or 0.729"

Do the same to make 2 balls and you have a 2 bore or 1.326"

Holland & Holland made a single barrelled 2 bore black powder rifle back in 1866 for use in Africa the projectile was an 8 ounce lump of lead. It was reported that a kill was certain, what was not widely reported was that the shooter was always spun round like a top and laid up for a couple of days......

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Didn't know that NBL,there's been some very interesting posts in this thread,is your background in weapons or is it just a hobby?

Rog

Picture of the BSA Cadet Major I had given to me as payment for a job,

P1050385_zpsy110snjt.jpg

Gun stripped ready for some restoration work,at the moment I am waiting for some spares to arrive,new piston seal,new breach seal,new main spring,comes to about £30.00

P1050386_zpslj225y3y.jpg

This is the stock more or less finished,there was little or no varnish left on it so I took what was there off and gently rubbed it down using a 1200 grade emery,applied 7 coats of walnut oil to it letting it dry between coats,took maybe 8 days,starting to get a lovely sheen to it now,I know it's a beach stock but the walnut oil worked a treat

P1050416_zpsfb7z4m2x.jpg

More pictures to follow as the job progresses,not going to re blue the metalwork as it's got a nice brownish patina from age which adds to the character I think

Rog

^^^^^^^^^^^That is starting to look good.

As to me, it started as a hobby with EMGAS back in 1962. I then joined the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry in 1971 eventually becoming a gunnery instructor. In the mean time I had joined NADVAS in 1972, shooting both full bore and black powder, I had the privilege of knowing and shooting with some of the most knowledgeable people in the county.

In the mid 80s I joined with Terry Statham (now unfortunately passed) to open a firearms business under Allen Solly's old factory on Brookfield Road, this went on to become the Nottingham Indoor Shooting Centre.

• Upvote 1

I can see this coming south of the border. We've got quite a few air rifles and pistols, most of them my son's. I'm going to look like a criminal when I have to hand them in! Just to think I was authorised to sign shotgun renewals when I was member of the judiciary.

Don't see how it can be policed,the only time the police will check is if,seen in public with gun case or if a crime has been commited with one,then it might become a fire arms crime with resulting punishment,I have 4 air rifles and one pistol,but if I need to get a licence so be it,I use my rifles for target shooting and pest control on the farm and at work in the quarry

Rog

Just read the application form as supplied by Police Scotland.

A couple of things stand out (1) It is very similar to an application for a firearm. (2) It is very costly. (3) Similar security required as for FAC. (4) It all seems centred on one office for the whole of Scotland.

So I am in England and hold a shotgun certificate, I can go shoot rabbits in Scotland with my shotgun no problem, but I cannot take my air rifle that is a firearms offence punishable by imprisonment. Can I ask what happens on a farm which straddles the boarder?

Good question NBL,like I say,gonna be difficult to police,looking at a lot of the airgun websites and talking to Scots the police aren't really interested because of the amount of paperwork involved,just another obstacle for them from Scottish parliament,I can see some of the prisons in Glasgow and surrounding areas filling up pretty quick with chavs etc

Rog

As I see it, it is a bit like going back to 1920/37, there has been no registration of air guns.....

In 1920 the registration of firearms became a legal requirement, giving the police the right to ban certain individuals the right to own firearms. All well and good but this was after WW1 when every man and his dog bought home a trophy of some sort. Even in the 80s we as RFD's were accepting old pistols etc handed in after someone had died. The police were just glad to get them of the street and on to a register, had a beautiful .455 Webley 6" birds beak revolver handed in, needless to say that ended up in my collection and now resides in the Royal Armouries.

1937 saw the banning of most if not all fully automatic weapons. 1980s, saw a little old lady walk into Newark police station with a shopping trolley containing her now dead husbands pride and joy. A fully working Vickers 303 watered cooled machine gun complete with tripod, cooling tank and a belt of ammo, turned out he was machine gun corps WW1, that went to Mike Long.

• 2 weeks later...

Parts arrived and fitted in the BSA Cadet Major,just needs a few pellets through it to bed it in then I will set up some targets and give it a whirl

Rog

• 3 months later...

P1050565_zps3pn0xdmf.jpg

From the top:

BSA Cadet Major .177 (60 years old) backyard target shooting

Chinese rubbish with scope .22 ok for backyard target shooting

Hatsan with scope .22 ok for backyard target shooting

BSA R10 .22 PCP hunting rifle

Baretta PX4 Storm .177 6mtr target

Rog

• 1 year later...

Picked my new Bi-Pod for my BSA R10 air rifle today, well pleased with it,try it out tomorrow

P1070149.jpg

P1070150.jpg

Rog

They carry the same diseases as the rat, kill young birds,take eggs out of the nest, have been know to attack children in their pushchairs what's to like?

Rog

12 minutes ago, plantfit said:

They carry the same diseases as the rat, kill young birds,take eggs out of the nest, have been know to attack children in their pushchairs what's to like?

Rog

So do humans but they won't let us shoot 'em.. We carry disease,  spread germs, kill and roast young birds, take and  boil their eggs and yes even attacking babies and toddlers has been in the news recently.

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Air Rifle hunting