• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to reassure our Colonial members that my comments about air rifles was only aimed at chavvy boneheads from estates that take great delight in maiming cats, dogs, rabbits and any other defenceless

I think you touched on where the snake problem came from, John.   Folks who will stupidly buy an exotic pet and then when it starts to get big and a bit threatening dump it in the Everglades or some o

Noooooooo!  I love little 'cyrils' as our youngest grandson used to call them..

Things pretty tight all over, get yourself some insurance and do a bit of grovelling with land owners, problem is all land owners seem frightened of being sued if any shots go astray and hit something/someone,

Is there any clubs nearby you could join? our local field target shooters club packed in last year because his shop could no longer support it, checkout some adverts in the airgun mags,talk to some factory owners who might have rat or pigeon problems, anythings worth a go, good luck

Rog

If it's not too far for you you could try the Lincs HFT club, they meet Wednesday evenings and Sundays I think, they do have a website

Rog

As a Notts County fan, I feel I really must object to the suggested maltreatment of my fellow football club supporters. If it's the feathered birds you are alluding to then fuck em

I have a lovely, friendly squirrel, he visits my bird table every morning, he is a nuisance, but enjoyable to watch.

I think it's weird that you people get a kick out of killing wildlife, in whatever shape or form.

Do you enjoy it when, whatever it is you shoot, falls down dead in front of you, is it a pleasurable experience when you remove a creatures life, or do you have no thought for it and see it simply as 'a bit of fun'.

• Upvote 1

Tree rats carry the same diseases as brown rats, they are classed as vermin and as such can be shot legally, better than them eating poison and left to die a slow death for the owls and other raptors to pick up and eat for them to suffer the same fate

Rog

Rats with a good PR is what my Mum always said.

By the way, Red Squirrels don't make good eating , where as the invading vermin that is the Grey Squirrel taste very nice indeed.

Yuck, eating squirrels, they are rodents just that they have pretty tails.... We call them tree rats.

You eat Rabbit don't you ?

Tastes much the same to me. (A bit like Swan too................................. slywink )

Not had rabbit in years Ian.

When I've been out bird watching I have seen squirrels follow birds down the hedgerows to their nests and eat all the chicks or eggs, yes they are lovely little cuddly furry little creatures, not actually eaten one though Ian but was told by one of the locals out here they taste a bit like poodle but a bit stronger slywinkslywink

Rog

Poodle or Poo Roger....LOL I didn't think Rabbits were rodents, but just checked, they are not.

I don't own an air rifle, but do have a couple of 22 calibre rifles.

Not wanting to start a 'full on argument' but surely a Rabbit is a rodent !
It's defined by their teeth isn't it? Rodents need to keep gnawing to keep their teeth down and I'm pretty positive that Rabbits fall into this category.

Correct Ian, in the UK they are classed as rodent,pest,vermin, and can be legally shot,gassed,trapped and ferreted for providing you have the land owners permission

Rog

I thought not, but before I "jumped in" I did a search, seems they are of a different class of mammals, one of their own which includes hares.

One feller mistakenly identified them as rodents, buts since, has been overturned, they are closely related to horses, believe it or not, due to their digestive tracts working in a similar manner..

My search criteria was "are rabbits rodents?"

In Australia rabbits are considered vermin, land owners are required to reduce their numbers, impossible to eradicate them...

They cause untold damage to the environment down there as they just breed out of control.... They cause serious soil erosion, have very few predators....

The federal government years ago introduced myxomatosis to try and wipe them out, worked for a while until some became immune to the disease, been a cat and mouse job to keep introducing new strains of the disease, mean time land owners are encouraged to poison trap or shoot them.

You'd have a field day down there hunting the little buggers...LOL

So right Ayupmeducks, the lovable little bunnykins are truly loved down here in Oz.

A new virus strain that they were developing, Calcivirus, somehow 'escaped' from a quarantine station where it was being perfected. That culled the little buggers for a while but they are returning in large numbers after developing resistance to the virus.

The old methods of blasting the warrens, bulldozing and ripping the warrens and poison are still used but they breed so fast that until they kill the last one, this problem is just going to go on and on.

They even built a rabbit proof fence in Western Australia from the north of the State to the south, just to keep the bunnies back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbits_in_Australia

one of my young friends recently posted on her face book page a photo of a sick rabit on black rock trail looked like myxomitosis to me said one of a few they had seen in that region recentlyif its back againmayby farmers will soon be happy for you to go and kill them soonknow you carnt eat them but can practice your shooting skills and put the poor little things down quickly so they not suffering any more

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Air Rifle hunting