Mixy is a terrible disease where the rabbits die a slow and painful death, it starts off by affecting their ability to see, their eyes swell to a large size, they just grub about trying to find food which they can't see so they end up just hopping around in circles until caught by the old fox or other predators, if not caught that way they end up with grossly swollen heads and die of starvation, by the way mixy does'nt affect the quality of the meat so they can be eaten although I have never tried that

Rog

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to reassure our Colonial members that my comments about air rifles was only aimed at chavvy boneheads from estates that take great delight in maiming cats, dogs, rabbits and any other defenceless

I think you touched on where the snake problem came from, John.   Folks who will stupidly buy an exotic pet and then when it starts to get big and a bit threatening dump it in the Everglades or some o

Noooooooo!  I love little 'cyrils' as our youngest grandson used to call them..

It's not recommended you eat infected rabbit though Rog...

I used to go shooting rabbits when I went on holiday to my cousins place in Victoria, I only shot what we were going to eat though...Did see a few myxo rabbits, not a pretty site, but the rule is leave them so they can spread the disease..

It's transmitted via a flea which bores it's way through the ear to the brain and thats where the damage starts, terrible way to die, very inhumane

Rog

I have a "black powder" rifle, it's a modern one not an antique, needs to be checked out by a gunsmith before I use it though.

Has anyone seen "Enemy at the Gates" movie?? The rifle's used by those Russian snipers, they are the Mosin Nagant 7.62mm

I have one minus the firing pin/bolt action, bloody heavy rifles, another rifle that needs checking after I have bought the bolt/firing pin mechanism.

One of those that "Gunny" shows, I'd really love, that's the WW2 issue army carbines, the M1 Garand, supposed to be one of the best designed rifles ever 30 calibre, just a little smaller round than the old Lee-Enfield issued to UK servicemen ..

No, all above are too large for rabbit hunting......LOL Wouldn't be much left of the poor rabbit after a 33 calibre round hit it....

Your a lucky man the last labour government banned semi rifles and all hand guns. Only good thing was they paid us extortionate prices for them to sweeten the pill.

It cost them millions and armed crime is still as bad if not worse as it always was.

Colin

But there hasn't been a mass murder by a loan nutter with a load of 'licenced' guns since they were banned !!

• 2 weeks later...

Barnze, did you get anywhere with finding somewhere to shoot? you would be most welcome to come to the Lincs hft club near Waddington, Wednesday evening 6-9 £4.00 and Sunday lunchtime 12-6 £5.00,including 3 target cards, target range from 10mtr to 50mtr and the hft course with various knock down targets at various distances, very friendly group of people too

Rog

• 1 month later...

Don't know what happened last time I shot it was 24 cents a round., You can spend money faster than burning it

Even 22lr costs a arm & a leg.

I've a few thousand rounds of 22lr's, cheaper to target practice with those than 30-30's, most of my stock was bought before the shortages which caused ammo prices to go through the roof.

• 1 month later...

dgbrit, more info on your new gun please, I part chopped my BSA .22 the other week for a Air Arms TX200 Mk3 in the same calibre, just about on the legal limit for the UK, under lever action Walther barrel and the stock has lovely fish scale chequering

Rog

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757785_-1_757784_757784_image

Limited to 10 rounds in California.

When I was sighting it in I used a spring back target that when you hit it it does exactly what it says but I shot at it & thought I was missing as nothing happened until closer inspection clean holes in 1/4 in steel.

Any shooter know what the most powerful .22 PCP air rifle is ? I currently shoot a Bruno .22lr model 452 bolt action 10shot, but sometimes even with sub sonics its a little noisy for some areas I shoot, nod nod wink wink.

We are not allowed to fit suppresors here in oz although some do make their own.

I want a really powerful .22 air rifle to add to my bunny shooting outfit.

Looked at the Airarms pcp rifle but limited to the uk velocity control so I'm maybe looking at something like an Airforce Condor or Talon maybe from the USA.

Any ideas.

I've eaten a few mixy contaminated rabbits over the years, still taste good in a stew. My kids used to think it was chicken ! no ill effcts at all.

http://www.topairgun.com/pcp-air-rifles

All the way to $3000, The Walther 1250 looks interesting

The ones I have seen are just as loud as a powder type gun.

don't think they have the kick though

Maybe the 50 cal would.

Yes .223 but I did get the 22lr upper that will see more use as the ammo price is through the roof, I did shoot each & both were on target with the latch type quick change Red dot scope.

I was over in Wales a couple of weeks ago and there were some blokes there shooting Rabbits with .22 air rifles, and these were proper 'air rifles' using an external source of compressed air to power them. I had one lot of 5 shots and hit their target a good 50 meters away every time , fantastic piece of kit , but way out of my price range !! They invited me to have a few shots at the rabbits that night (Lamping) but I don't think our Charlotte would ever have forgiven me !!

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Air Rifle hunting