• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to reassure our Colonial members that my comments about air rifles was only aimed at chavvy boneheads from estates that take great delight in maiming cats, dogs, rabbits and any other defenceless

I think you touched on where the snake problem came from, John.   Folks who will stupidly buy an exotic pet and then when it starts to get big and a bit threatening dump it in the Everglades or some o

Noooooooo!  I love little 'cyrils' as our youngest grandson used to call them..

All airguns/rifles here are classed as firearms thanks to the anti gun lobby, so hence why I was looking for high muzzle velocity pcp rifle.

I already have my license so can add another rifle easily.

I looked at an HMR177 very low trajectory and good range, but again noisy and ammo not cheap.

My SIL is a very keen shooter and runs a shooting club in Perth, he has a Ruger .223 amongst his armory which is fairly large, due to different shooting styles he does, but he knows little about air rifles though.

Amongst his other guns he has two Sako's, a Remington 12 bore, a vintage ex ww11 Nagant, and several more I can't remember.

All fully licensed and legal.

He loads his own cartridges especially for his competitive shooting.

As an aside I buy .22 ammo here for $30/1000 ( about 20 quid), cheapies, or $50/1000 for Winchester or similar.

I'm not into club shooting so just stick with vermin, mainly bunnies.

I can only buy one gun every 30 days & each time I have to fill in a background check $85

Air guns exempt.

Black powder exempt I have 2, 45cal pistols cap & ball that I just cleaned up after sitting for 30 yrs since I built them.

Now I want a M&P pistol but will wait till the UK gov buys it for me.

22 Lr CCI Mini Mag $10 per 100

I have an old Nagant here, needs the firing pin mechanism, checking out that it's safe to use and then I'll stock up on ammunition..

I checked the model, it's a Soviet WW2 era rifle, much liked by Soviet snipers.

Just reread Beefsteak post 33 and my post 34 and realised we were both talking a right load of rowlocks.

The banning of certain firearms did not prevent more mass murders.

Can you name me one, as I described , a loan gunman shooting loads , as in Dunblane and Hungerford ?!

#55 Yes most certainly I am sure you will recall when its mentioned.

Handguns banned 1997.

2010 Cumbria taxi driver Derrick Bird murdered 12 innocent people with a shotgun and a .22rf self loading rifle.

Another bit of info for you the years 2010 to 2011 saw 11,227 recorded firearms offence's. Home office figures.

Colin

It's illegal to own a firearm in Chicago's City limits, but it doesn't stop the criminal element from killing people with firearms, same in NY City and Detroit, although Detroit is more or less a war zone now the police have a minimum call time of one hour and in many instances don't even bother to go out...Shame a city has sunk so low.

Check the FBI's own figures then, an Australian was shot to death by three young thugs in Oklahoma, yesterday I think it was, he was out jogging when they came up on him in a car and shot him dead in the back for no other reason he was a white man......The three weren't old enough legally to have guns...Work that out. According to the police, they found evidence they were going on a killing spree, and if they hadn't been arrested when they were, more dead bodies would have been littering the streets.

The oldest thug was 17 years of age....Legal age to have and own a handgun is 21 years of age....

Of course not, it happens in a lot of countries with very strict laws on firearms too.

I wonder why Switzerland doesn't have a lot of gun crime, there is a military assault weapon in nearly every household.

I don't know the answer to this one but I am fairly sure bans of any kind don't work. Prohibition in the 20th century being a prime example. Drugs in this day and age another.

It would seem to me that there is a firearms crime every hour of every day here in the UK.

The Mac 10 fully auto seems to be mentioned more and more and this type of firearm has been banned for private ownership since the 1920s.

The only good thing about the ban here was the Labour government tried to sweeten the pill by paying well over the odds for the guns and all accessories they had to buy in.

Sad world we live in.

Colin

When you ban the guns only the bad guys will have them.

Funny thing happened to me , I was teaching a few guys how to play cricket & on the way to the field I got pulled over by a cop for a brake light out

He wrote me a fixit ticket for that but wrote me a deadly weapon ticket for the bat that was inside the truck.

Funny thing you can ride around with a couple of rifles on a rack in the back window quite legal.

I got fined by the judge $25 then he has the balls to ask me if I could teach him how to play so I said ok $25 per hour.

ANYTHING, can be defined as a deadly weapon, from a fork, a spoon to a ballpoint pen, our world is filled with deadly weapons in the hands of someone who wants to hurt us....

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

Just finished my new rifle

5.56/223 Ar15 decked out with new laser & Red Dot scope

I machined it myself from forgings. turned out really nice if I do say so mesen

Got loads of ammo from Walmart very reasonable price its coming available again

Just finished my new rifle

5.56/223 Ar15 decked out with new laser & Red Dot scope

I machined it myself from forgings. turned out really nice if I do say so mesen

Got loads of ammo from Walmart very reasonable price its coming available again

Can you imagine going into Asda to buy ammunition, lol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Had an old air rifle given to me last weekend for a small task I did on someones van,anyroad got round to looking at it tonight,fair enough it's a bit crabby looking and there are rusty bits along the action and barrel,the stock is in reasonable condition buy will need a good clean and possibly a good oiling with walnut oil,an even closer inspection and I found a serial number,I had a good idea it was a BSA cadet or cadet major so checked the serial number on the BSA web site (wonderful thing this internet) it turns out it is a BSA Cadet Major from between 1949 and 1955,wow an old gun,it's in .177 calibre,I will be careful how I clean this classic rifle,not to much restoration because as it is it has a lot of character,my task for the Christmas break,nice one

Rog

I will post some pictures at the weekend and during the restoration process if anyone interested

• Upvote 1

In Brittany, hunting with air rifles is illegal for safety reasons. Daftess thing is, they can shoot with a combination gun that has both smooth and rifle barrels. So here you cannot get hurt silently but you can get killed before you hear anything! Most of the shooters use smooth bore now tho', with big shot option for wild boor.

I don't think I'd like to shoot wild pigs with anything less than a 30 calibre rifle, too many tales of wild pig hunting using 223 cal semi rifles and having to climb trees with one very irate feral pig chomping at their boots.

I'd feel safe with an SKS 7.62 x 39mm with feral pigs around, plus a couple of spare stripper clips for a fast reload should the occasion arise. I certainly wouldn't take my AR15, would just get them extremely irate and at my time of life, running and climbing trees isn't an option, but then a 400lb very angry boar might just be a good motive....LOL

Not seen any signs of feral pigs yet, but we are under instructions from wildlife to shoot on sight and notify them so they can take blood samples and examine the carcass.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Air Rifle hunting