^^^^^^^^Back in the late 80s we had a customer who used to go home to Poland during the season to shoot wild boar.

One trip he used his .270 bolt action deer rifle, good shot on the boar with the first round this seriously peed off said boar. When he tried for another round the bolt jammed (later found to be a split case) he ended up on top of a wood pile with the boar taking down said pile. Luckily his mate came a long with a 30-06 that did the job in one.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to reassure our Colonial members that my comments about air rifles was only aimed at chavvy boneheads from estates that take great delight in maiming cats, dogs, rabbits and any other defenceless

I think you touched on where the snake problem came from, John.   Folks who will stupidly buy an exotic pet and then when it starts to get big and a bit threatening dump it in the Everglades or some o

Noooooooo!  I love little 'cyrils' as our youngest grandson used to call them..

Some of the feral pigs I saw in the local paper when I lived in Bathurst NSW, were huge animals, the boars were over six feet in length, they would worry sheep, and rip the livers out and leave the dead carcasses to rot. Around here it's cattle and goats, as I say not seen any signs yet, but there are supposed to be several breeds in the feral's, and all are considered by wild life to be vermin and must be destroyed on sight.

From reading, I gather they are a big nuisance in Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Yep a 30-06 will stop a feral pig, I wouldn't even consider a .223, it would just infuriate the animal, the 7.62 is about 30 cal, and my SKS is a semi auto rifle, so if I don't drop a pig with one shot, there are ten more I can get off pretty quickly before he has a chance of mauling me.

If Trump lifts the import ban on those Garand M1's in the Philippines,  the prices should start dropping on them, then I'd like to buy one, they use the 30-06 rounds, at present they are fetching $1000 up to $3000, depending on condition, if the ban is lifted, I could be looking at one for $300 - $500. These are ex WW2 rifles left behind for the Philippines armed forces.

On air rifles, the Lewis and Clark expedition took air rifles with them, believe it or not they were automatics! Someone is making modern versions, not cheap either!! I doubt they would be legal in Europe though as they are much more powerful than the street type air rifle.

people shoot to kill things because they reckon they are vermin..............if only an Animal could think.............might make humans watch their 'Asses'

• Upvote 1

Feral pigs are NOT native animals on the North American Continent, as such they have no enemies, they are extremely dangerous, will attack kill and eat small children, in fact they will attack maul and kill adults! They eat anything, are loaded with parasites, cause environmental damage, kill native animals and domestic animals...Need me to add more??

They cause millions of dollars of damage to agricultural crops annually, breed like "rabbits", they are encroaching on towns, think your dog, cat and children in danger.

Hence why wildlife conservation officers instructing us to kill them on sight.

I don't think any of you would like to come face to face with these inbred animals, I know I wouldn't. In Australia they have the same problem, only there the pigs have been in the wild a lot longer than here, I recall a story in the local newspaper when I lived in Bathurst, accompanied by a photo of a dead boar, (male) hanging by his rear legs from a hoist, the farmer was over six foot tall, and the boar was much longer than him and the guessed weight around 300lbs. It was trapped in one of his fields with dozens of dead sheep, minus livers...Now can you see why they are considered vermin??

Eating the meat is risky, unlike domestic pigs, which also carry parasites, the ferals carry several diseases dangerous to us, and are full of parasites, some that are not killed by cooking. Best way of disposing of the carcasses is by burning, we advised not to handle the dead animals.

Rats,squirrels,pigeons etc are all classed as vermin here and as such I am often asked by the local farmers if I can clear them from his land,never be able to completely clear them and probably wouldn't want to however I would never squeeze the trigger if there was any doubt I wouldn't get a clean kill,can't imagine what it would be like to be attacked by a wounded rat let alone a wounded feral pig

Rog

I understand where you're coming from Ayup.....my remarks were aimed at the sort who seem to enjoy taking 'alife' for the fun of it or profit,.......Elephant poachers,Grouse shooters and the even braver Deer Hunters,Animals are becoming extinct thanks to Humans.

I personally couldn't Kill owt unless it was about to do the same to me,..........not even a Rat,Pigeon or Squirel Rog..........but that's just me...........two things stick in my mind as a kid...............seeing a youth kill an Hedghog with an house brick....and some great white hunters Killing frogs at Moorbridge with Air guns...............some people are pure evil...............

• Upvote 2

I'm no hunter, white tailed deer were wiped out of this area by the settlers in the early 1800's, been introduced again a number of years back, problem is, they are in great numbers now, even with the annual hunting season. I don't bother them, nor the turkeys I see now and again.

When I lived down under, laws required land owners to keep the rabbit population down, introduced and set free for food!

The feral pigs started out as domestic pigs that escaped, interbred with other breeds of escapees. Their range was Louisiana across into Texas, but now they are moving north. In plague proportions in Texas and Arkansas, and moving into Missouri Oklahoma, Alabama, Mississippi and other states.

In my opinion the problem we face in some part is mans interference over hundreds of years.

Feral pigs is just one example, the rabbit plague in Australia is another and don't forget that led to the introduction of Myxomatosis both there and over here. If you have ever seen a rabbit die of this awful disease you would realise the gun is much the preferable option.

The deer population here in the UK has to be controlled even in the grounds of Wollaton hall where there is an annual cull. Man removed the natural predators many years ago and if the numbers were not controlled there would not be enough food to support them. Again the rifle in the hands of an expert is the preferred option.

If I am right the latest one is snakes in the Everglades , large constrictors like the Burmese python have established large breeding colonies and are now devouring the native species including alligators. If left alone the Everglades as we know it will cease to exist.

As far as I know the wild boar here in Brittany are not interbred with pigs. The ones I've seen close up are probably 60 or 70 pounds with the biggest male going over 100 pounds. Just hoping that they do not take up residence in my garden like they did 2 winters ago when they ripped everything up. The local chase' (shoot) are in our valley most week ends during the season and they do a good job keeping the numbers in check and ensuring their future health. I do worry when their dogs get though into my garden and I've had to have stern words with the shooters, who say that their dogs cannot read the notices! Our dog is a border terrier cross and same colour as a boar, so we worry about him when he is out patrolling the boundaries during the season. 

Not heard of the snake problems down there, but it's amazing how big domestic pigs will evolve over a few generations of being feral. Another problem, being an ex cat owner are the coyotes around here, I suspect all but one of the cats we had over the last few years ended up as coyote dinner. Decided to not feed them anymore, I'll put up with the rodent population instead.

Other imports over here are starlings, all from a pair released a couple of centuries back, pigeons  probably brought over as food in the colonies years, domestic dogs, living in wild packs, discarded by city slickers, same with feral cats, people should be locked up for life discarding unwanted pets.

There's even a colony of wild chickens in LA area!! Budgies seem to have adapted to America too!

• Upvote 1

I think you touched on where the snake problem came from, John.   Folks who will stupidly buy an exotic pet and then when it starts to get big and a bit threatening dump it in the Everglades or some other swamp.

I have a friend who farms in Canada.  You wouldn't believe how many dogs and cats get dumped near his front gate.  He has allowed a few to stay but you can only take so many.  Such folks aren't fit to own any animal.

Our stupid politically correct governments will not say NO to such actions (I refer to the exotic pets) and we all reap the consequences.  Maybe I just don't get it, but how anyone could see a snake as a pet is beyond me.

• Upvote 3

My wife is in real estate and property management, and even though pets are banned, the renters seem to break their lease agreement. Usually she only finds out when they do a midnight runner. Dogs or cats left behind and carpets badly soiled. How do people live in houses with dog crap on the floor, same with them and cats. I've seen some of the rentals and it's beyond comprehension how some people live.

When we first came down here, we put food on the table by "trashing out" re possessed houses, mostly Vet affairs after the owner had passed on. Some were just untidy from where the deceased relatives went through the things and just tossed what they didn't want in piles, had a lot of new clothes, towels and bedding from those places!!

One house that was a repo, she had left her two dogs behind in the yard, poor beggars learned to kill and eat armadillos to survive, police took them away as they were dangerous.

I don't know about people keeping snakes as pets. It's each to their own really I suppose.

However, I've NEVER understood why people should want to possess an air rifle. 

Farmers and gamekeepers keep REAL guns, that's perfectly understandable, but air guns are totally unnecessary. 

In the wrong hands, cats and dogs and other family pets become easy targets, and many children have also been maimed. 

The ONLY place for an air rifle is up the orifice of its owner.

Maybe it's the closest Brits have to owning any gun??? Like I mentioned there is a reproduction air rifle of the type Lewis and Clark expedition took with them, very powerful weapon. The reason they took air rifles was the fact where would you get powder on a several months expedition across the Louisiana Purchase?

As for using standard air rifles, all they are good for is static target practice, at a couple of hundred feet, a rabbit would laugh at you and trot off.. I did do some bunny hunting in Australia, provided us with a nice dinner too, but that was with a .22 rifle.

Air rifles and pistols used to be a way into target shooting and are still used at the Olympics for that purpose. I have a friend who lives in Arnold who won silver in air rifle at the Canadian Paralympics.

As to actually hunting with one I wouldn't dream of it, over here the limited power of an 'air rifle' means that you can only cause problems.

I have hunted vermin magpies, rabbits etc with .22rf long rifle very successfully.

Fly you going to let him take his..................... scope off first:blink:

• Upvote 1

Just a bit of info FLY2, an airgun is a 'REAL' gun under the Firearms Act.

It is true the UK has some of the strictest firearm rules in the world, but it's not a difficult process to obtain a shotgun certificate if you belong to a shooting club or shoot over private land for sport or vermin control. Harder to get a Firearm Certificate for a rifle, but the same situation broadly applies though. 

Maybe in the UK but here in Oz my Weihrauch HW100T is rated at 33ft/Ibs with a velocity of around 950ft/sec.

My real rifle, a Bruno 0.22lr.

I used to hunt feral animals, mainly rabbits and cats and more often choose my air rifle now, instead of the "real" one, it is super accurate up to around 100m. and cheap to operate.

Both require a full firearms license and are both classified as firearms, and have to be stored accordingly.

Fly post 94: Not much good clearing a barn or grain store of pigeons/ rats with a live round gun or a shot gun,wouldn't be much left of the barn or grain store

Rog

I just put bait blocks down for rats and mice, soon sorts them out.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Air Rifle hunting