inmates list for rampton hospital 1912-1917?

Hi Marlene

im not an expert in this but i will help if i can. How did this person end up encarcerted in Rampton Hospital, do you know which court sent him there and what was thier surname

Paul

According to the Hospitals Database website records for patients are at Nottingham Archives, and some at Berkshire Archives (these may be for people who moved from Rampton to Broadmoor - not sure). You may have a probelm with gaining access as it's not quite 100 years, but worth a go!

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/search.asp

• Upvote 1

ann dose this go for mapperly hostpital too

thanks babs.

Babs

The website I posted above says Nottm Archives has patients records for Mapperley Hospital for 1880-1959. I had a Great Aunt who died there in the 60's and I remember Nottm Archives telling me they didn't have anything - obviously just missed out, going by those dates.

thanks ann therecords i want are posible30s /40 not sure my dads sistercommited suicidewhile in thereand id like to see if i can find out a few more details for my family history as you get so many different storiesfrom different people down the years but as i am not sure of her first name hard to follow up in the ordanary way so thought if i get a look athostpital records it would not only giveme how she died but her first name too so next time i go down to the archives i will ask if i can acsses them as its not 100 years

no mick how do you do thatare they in the archives the same or is there somewere else you need to go to find them

Babs

If you can prove you are a close relative and the Coroner has a file on that death, they may release details to you.

You would need to write to them, not phone or visit.

Be prepared to produce documents.

Also the Coroner at that time may have been a County Coroner.

Often, Coroners records haven't been kept, although it's worth a try. Can you find her death in the GRO index? What was her surname and how old would she have been, roughly? (send it to me privately if you think it's a bit delicate). Also what was your Dad's surname and mothers maiden name and when was he born? If you can get her death cert and have actual date of death (perhaps without that, Nottm Archives wouldn't do any searching of the Mapperley records anyway), your best bet might be a report in the local paper.

I spoke to a local friend who was a Coroners officer for some years.

That is the advice he gave for an enquiry on behalf of another member.

anne her name was clements i think she was eileen or eireen but not sure my dad was born in 1908 and had 2 younger sisters mableand this one i think she may have been in her late 20s 30s when she died so she proberly born around 1912 to 1920ish but dont know that much about her as dad would never say much i dont think she ever married but i do believe she had a son john who died quite youngher father was henry clements and her mother was elizabeth ameila clements nee rowlands.was told she died in a fall from the roof at maperly hoostpital but how true this is i dont knowthanks ann .

babs

Babs , I am sure Ann will have more info than me but doing a quick search on freebmd the only births I can see in Notts with father , with surname Clements and mother nee Rowland are Mabel born 1918 and a Nellie born in September quarter 1912 .

There is a death in March quarter 1932 for a Nellie Clements , age 19 in Notts so that could possibly be her , as the age fits but purchasing the death cert. may tell you more .

There is a birth for a son with surname Clements to a mother with maiden surname also Clements (so likely to be unmarried ) .

He was called Harold Clements born in Nottm in Sept qtr 1925 but if thats the right one , she would have been only 13 when she gave birth ?

• Upvote 1

not sure if this will help but the orginal Mapperley Hospital Chapel is still there but im nt sure if they still hold any records there that may be of some help

Paul

As far as I am aware when Mapperley Hospital closed some 20 years ago many of the 'old' records were kept at the QMC.

The old Mapperley Hospital buildings are still there and I visited the old chapel last November. What was the male side of the hospital is now luxury flats. The female side is administration / teaching etc.

Kind regards

Tony

thanks david

my aunt mable was about 10 years younger than my dad so that would fit in.

carnie tony and pual i know mapperly hostpital quite well as i did some voluntary work therewhen i was about 17 and working towards my proficientcy badge in nursing worked on the ladies ward and a lot of them were in there from a very young age for becomeing pregnant while young and unmarried at a young ageby this time they were quite elderly and very institutionlized and would no way have coped out in the ordanary sociity a couple of them had some lucid momements and would tell you about theire live before they went to live there one i remember telling us she was pimped out at the age of 12 by her father and ended up pregnant at 14 so was put in to mapperly the other one said she was raped at 15 by a stranger and ended up pregnantso ended up in this hell hole as she called it both quite tragic cases in both cases the man got away with out even being prosicuted nor did the father of the first girl. sister confirmed that acording to the records she had got both were true stories.

my dad did say his sister had died in mapperley but if you asked him why he whould only say she had her reasons and they were good ones but would never talk about her. i think he used to get too upset to say anything.. but i had never known she was that young

The only thing to add, really, is that Harold Clements born 1925 didn't seem to die young. You'd need to get his birth cert to find out whose child he was, of course. If he was Nellie's child, then perhaps someone took him in as she was so young.

• 1 year later...

after just rereading this thread i feel prity sure now that nellie was my dads sister talking to my eldest sister pauleen earlier this year she told me that one day while walking past mapperly hospital dad said his sister had died there when she asked him why she was in there dad said she had been a naughty girl and had to go in there but would not say any more but that would certainly fit in with with her getting pregnant very youngand 13 was very young.

once i get back from seggy i must get round to following up these leadsand do some more reserchon my dads sister