Any idea what this ( Bovill ) street was?

I have been my old dad's diary (for 1939) and in the memo pages at the back there is an address, which I am struggling to read. It says "Mr Blacknell, 7 'Bovill' [?] Street, Radford." Is this correct (or suggestions as to what else the street might be) - and if so where exactly was it? By the way, I have no idea who Mr Blacknell was, or what was his connection with my dad.

Many thanks - very quick! What year is the map please? I assume those are tram lines running single track with a passing loop down Alfreton Road and then becoming double track at the turning into Bentinck Road. Surprised no lines are shown going down Hartley Road though.

very quick!

Just happened to come in at the right time :)

What year is the map please? I assume those are tram lines running single track with a passing loop down Alfreton Road and then becoming double track at the turning into Bentinck Road.

OS from 1901, although I'll bet it still looked very similar 50 years later (apart from the trams).

Surprised no lines are shown going down Hartley Road though.

10 years later they were........

bent.jpg

• Upvote 1

When I lived on Norton Street, Around 65-68, I dont remember any TB wires?

What service would run all the way down Hartley Road?

Was it the 58 that terminated only @ Addington Road

Did buses run all the way down Hartley Road?

I gather there were plans to convert the Lenton and Radford circle from trams to trolleybuses, but this was knocked on the head when a new transport general manager, J L Gunn, came on the scene in 1934 (recruited from Aberdeen - Scots have a certain reputation for, shall we say, economy - and Aberdonians have a reputation even amongst the Scots - so no more of this expensive knitting in the sky !) Until 1952 or 53 the old No. 58 from Addington Road was the No.3 that went all the way to Sneinton Dale. I can just remember changing from the 1/7/22 at Bentinck Road (I would be about 3 at the time!) when we were going shopping at Woolworths on LIster Gate.

Trams Mick, not trolleys. The trams which finished in 1936. Bit before your time.

Hi Cliff

Question have you an information of a boat factory on Norton

mary1947

is that the one that used to be part of bourns company of netherfield build fiberglass canoos and small boats 1960/1970.

Hi Cliff

Made Wayfarer yachts amongst others until early 80s in Radford Mill...I forget the name now.Not part of Bournes.

• 2 years later...

I remember a carpet shop on the corner of Bovril street I think it was called Krause

Two very interesting maps for me Cliff Ton. I had two aunties live on Bovill St. Auntie Min Wesson had the greengrocers at the top corner and Auntie Ev Simpson lived further down. I notice that the shops at the lower end of Peveril St / corner Lake St were built at a time between the two map's production. Can also see Granddads back yard next to the Spread Eagle and our back yard behind the small hosiery factory on Peveril St.

I would be interested in an earlier map showing the bottom of Southey St /.Lake St to see if there is evidence of the lake that my granddad said used to be there.

Off Boverill Street was Cambridge Street and we lived at number 4 for a few years - there were two shops on either corner with Bovrill street - one was a papershop and the other general stores were my Mum had a 'book' paid every pay day. Further up was another shop who had one of those drinks making machines on the counter and I remember it used to taste awful!!! There was also a chap who used to have several basins and do haircuts on a Saturday. Peter

I would be interested in an earlier map showing the bottom of Southey St /.Lake St to see if there is evidence of the lake that my granddad said used to be there.

The earliest detailed map I can find isn't much earlier than those above, and I can't see any indication of a real lake, but I guess there must be a reason for the name.

I can go back to the 1830s, but not in enough detail, and it's interesting to see that the shape of Peveril Street was there even back then. It seems to be older than the surrounding area.

oldrad.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks Cliff Ton. The mystery lake was said to be about where the 'T' is sited in The Forest. Some hatching suggests marshland, so could have been at least a pond there. Peveril St was probably a bridleway through the edge of the Forest back then? Granddads granddad and probably his dad would have been alive then, so the history could have been passed on..

• 5 weeks later...

Hi re buses on hartley road, no58 came from addington road terminus down hartley rd then along bolavard past raliegh to town it was a petrol bus not a tram.i lived on wimbourne road and as kids when it was a pea soup fog got threepence for giding the 58 up hartley road to the terminus with a white rag and a torch. happy days

Hi Cliff

mary1947

I know this is an old post but I've just noticed it. There was a place on Hartley Road in the 1980's that made fibreglass canoes. It was in one of the old corner shops on the left going up towards Alfreton road. I bought one and took it on holiday to Dorset and very nearly drowned when I capsized and my attempt at an Eskimo roll failed miserably.

Once again the name eludes me,but the canoe shop was on the corner of Norton Street for several years. I used to bump into the bloke when he was buying resins and glassfibre.The boat builders at Radford Mill were Wyche and Coppocks (memory clicked in)

A lake was doubtful around Lake Street as it was halfway up a hill...more likely a marshy pond at the most. My Great Grandfather used to be a warper at the lace factory on Peverill Street in the 1860s...he walked to work past the windmills on Forest Road from his house on Sherwood Street...it's one of the few old houses still remaining there.

Notice on Clff Tons map 1901 (#2) that Barnetts factory is yet to be built...the blank square where it appeared a couple of years later used to be a woodyard.