Queen Victoria Pennies

When i was courting my husband in the early 1960s,we didn't have much money,not helping was the fact we spent most of our wages on coach and train fares back and forth to west mids and Notts,we are the results of a holiday romance at good old Skeg,anyway we used to collect the young Victoria Bun pennies because they were a bit cheeky,you see we called them the onalooloo pennies because if you look closely the trident she is holding is further up the leg and looks like it is resting on a looloo only on the bun pennies tho.anyway i have just been researching the pennies and they might be abit valuable so i'm going to have a good look.Anyone else saved any.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HSR, as I vaguely remember, the coin with the Wren on it was a farthing, (still in use when I were little). For our 55th anniversary, my dear sister in law sent us both special key rings. Attache

It's probably the 1933 penny I'm thinking of re Edward 8th

In the late 60,s I worked part time on Mr Softee ice cream vans. One afternoon on Edwards Lane Estate, a small boy came running out of a house and asked for some suckers. He paid me all in Queen Vic p

There's a couple from a few years later called 'H' pennies. (Not sure of the exact years but 1911 comes to mind as one of them) If you look in the corner of the date box there's a tiny letter 'H' these are worth a bit, no idea why though. And of course any with Edward the 8th on them (1936??) as they were stopped and recalled on his abdication, although a few did mange to sneak out in to general circulation.

Thank you for that information i will have to take a good look,i wish i had looked after them more,we used to let the children play with them and just generally not look after them at all.never mind we still have a few left.

Hi Carni, I've got a few but seem to have only one of the bun pennies. It's really really worn and is dated 1890. Can't imagine that will be worth anything. I used to have a tin full of old coins but we've moved house so many times that they've disappeared.

My Mum used to have a big plastic tub full of them (a couple of hundred) I shall have to have a rummage through them next week . I know there's at least 2 'h' pennies in there and a couple of 'buns' too. Alas no '1936 Edwards' though.

My dad used to show me pennies and say its a Honalulu penny, I had to grow up a bit before I understood. If I remember right the bun pennies started in about 1861. I have some somewhere but I havn't seen them for years.

When my twins were small they used to ask if they could see the money we used to use "in olden days"! - proper money it was.

We must have worn a few pockets out with the weight of those coins,i have got four pound notes or fivers (not sure which)with ink run on them, i don't know if that effects the value,they are put away with my coins somewhere safe.wonder if i will ever find them. lol.

ALL WAYS REMEMBER PIGGY SAYING SOME THING ABOUT 1933 PENNY DONT KNOW WHY USED TO SAY TO GUYS WHO ASKED IF THEY COULD BUY ME ONLY IF YOU GOT A 1033 PENNY SUPOSED TO BE REAR I DONT KNOW NOW HE WHOULD GIVE ME AWAY

It's probably the 1933 penny I'm thinking of re Edward 8th

• Upvote 1

I know i must have some because i remember seeing the H,it didn't seem important then,i hope they arn't the ones we let the kids play with,they are probably buried in the garden for future metal detectors to find.oh um.

Do you know if the half pennies are of similar value,i am going to search the house today and see what remains of my coin and note hoard.but not sure how safe my safe place is.

I remember as a kid checking pennies for a rare year, supposed to be worth something?

Was it a 1951 penny?

I remember checking pennies too - I seem to remember looking for a small lighthouse on them? I could be way off on this, memory aim't what it used to be!

Thank you mick2me for the link above about the coins,i will really enjoy reading that,just got to settle down with a cuppa and kitkat because there looks like a nice long relax and read coming up for me.

Ha'pennys also came in varying guises. As a kid I used to look for the ones with both lighthouse and ship:

ha74h%255B1%255D.jpg?gl=GB