Queen Victoria Pennies

Quite a few years back I was taking a stroll across Beachy Head, the path had worn away the turf through to the chalk beneath, I had taken several paces before i realised that one of the chalk fragments was too round to be natural. Retracing my steps I picked it up and on feeling the weight I almost went on my knees 50 yds. in both directions but only found the one. On visiting the castle Museum I was told it was a Roman Penny and collected by the bucketful on most Roman sites, it would be a very heavy bucket if they're this weight !

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HSR, as I vaguely remember, the coin with the Wren on it was a farthing, (still in use when I were little). For our 55th anniversary, my dear sister in law sent us both special key rings. Attache

It's probably the 1933 penny I'm thinking of re Edward 8th

In the late 60,s I worked part time on Mr Softee ice cream vans. One afternoon on Edwards Lane Estate, a small boy came running out of a house and asked for some suckers. He paid me all in Queen Vic p

a lot out of practice so I hope this is right!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        DSC00253-1.jpg                                                                     

Was the coin of any value Albert? Or perhaps you couldn't give up work after all. I live not too far from Beachy Head and I've never found bugger all ..