Queen Victoria Pennies

Here's a nice bun penny currently on ebay at starting bid of £0.66.

m7R1iljz8e9-qev_eT03BiQ%255B1%255D.jpg?g

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HSR, as I vaguely remember, the coin with the Wren on it was a farthing, (still in use when I were little). For our 55th anniversary, my dear sister in law sent us both special key rings. Attache

It's probably the 1933 penny I'm thinking of re Edward 8th

In the late 60,s I worked part time on Mr Softee ice cream vans. One afternoon on Edwards Lane Estate, a small boy came running out of a house and asked for some suckers. He paid me all in Queen Vic p

Finally, in response to the "H" penny, does anyone remember the Kings Norton mint "KN" penny?

%2524T2eC16VHJGgFFmrW-Oi1BRimSd1%252Bsw%

• 9 months later...

In the late 60,s I worked part time on Mr Softee ice cream vans. One afternoon on Edwards Lane Estate, a small boy came running out of a house and asked for some suckers. He paid me all in Queen Vic pennies, as I saved all rare and obscure coins that were handed to me, I kept them with my collection. The following day at the same location, his mother came running out and asked if I had still got the coins as they were part of her husbands collection and the boy had mischievously taken some. I told her I had handed some out as change further on my round, and that some must have been handed in amongst the takings. I hope her and the boy weren't in trouble.

I foolishly gave my collection to my brother in law some years ago. Silly me.

• Upvote 1
  • 6 years later...

My partner "collects' .,.saves the modern 50 pences, Potter, Paddington etc, I have a few old pennies in the loft, remember the ship halfpenny, have a couple of the old 60's fiver's and a pound note, why? I don't know,  but glad I have them!

My favourite was the small silver coin.. not sure of it's name, thrupenny bit?

Close on 25 year's since i've seen them!

Edit.. thinking, ;) was the small silver one a sixpence? Like the one with the Wren..all just before my time!

Not sure of the date(1916) but the 6d and 1/- did contain some silver content when they were minted.

The old penny,

When I play in a bowls match you toss a coin to see who goe's first, I allways carry my 1d  people sre just amazed to see the coin. Not yet had any offers from any other bowler to buy it of me. 

As things  stand (virus) My 1d and bowls will be up for sale.

@HSR There was a small silver threepenny bit which ceased to be legal tender in 1971 when decimalisation was brought in.  It was rarely seen for about 20 - 30 years before that, though, possibly because people collected them.  It was the traditional coin to put in the Christmas pudding and it was often called a ‘joey’

The larger brass threepenny bit was introduced in 1937 because the tiny silver coin was considered too small.  It’s a pity lessons weren’t learned when the present 5p coin was introduced - I really don’t like them!

• Upvote 1

Margie I've just seen this topic. It's very interesting but I must say I've never really looked that close at pennies for any detail. What

are " bun"pennies? I do remember the tiny threepenny bit but can't remember it being withdrawn. My mum had a two headed penny. I was sorting out her things the other day and put all the bits and pieces in a box to go through at a later date. But I will have to look for it. To me it's unusual and of sentimental value.

8 hours ago, HSR said:

My favourite was the small silver coin.. not sure of it's name, thrupenny bit?     Close on 25 year's since i've seen them!

Edit.. thinking, ;) was the small silver one a sixpence? Like the one with the Wren..all just before my time!

The only small silver coin I remember was the sixpence. I never saw silver threepenny bits (I obviously missed the special editions), I remember them as being brown/bronze/brass.

@Jill SparrowI think Maundy money was produced in I, 2, 3 and 4d denominations

@Cliff Ton  the threepenny bit you remember was introduced in 1937.  I remember there was a picture of a thrift plant on the reverse.

Paul used to collect coins and still has an interest but he hasn’t looked at his collection for years.  It was supposed to be something to occupy him during his retirement but he hasn’t had time yet!!

HSR, as I vaguely remember, the coin with the Wren on it was a farthing, (still in use when I were little).

For our 55th anniversary, my dear sister in law sent us both special key rings. Attached were, an emerald, a 4 leafed clover and a silver sixpence dated 1965 on it, ( the year of our wedding). Still got some threepenny bits.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The bun penny is a bronze pre-decimal penny (1d) which was issued by the Royal Mint from 1860 to 1894. ... The bun penny gets its name from Queen Victoria's hairstyle, which is gathered together in a 'bun'.

• Like 1

As we’ve gone a bit off topic, mentioning other coins (never!), I though I’d post this. It’s a silver groat of Mary Tudor, “Bloody Mary”. Although you can’t see him it’s actually a Philip and Mary groat as you can see his name on the back. Dates from 1554 to 1556 ish.

9-CDF0357-338-C-4406-9047-F8-C9-DF500-AB

My dad was always telling us of his treasure, a collection of silver coins. I found them, mainly Florins, when we cleared  his house. They are so worn they might fetch a fiver on a good day

Jill,

6 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

My father had a silver fourpence which was, I think, Georgian. Quite small. I don't know what happened to it.

The silver 4d was known as a groat and as MargieH said they were also issued as Maundy money along with a silver 1d, 2d and 3d.

All “silver” coins issued after 1947 were actually cupronickel. Those minted between 1920 and 1947 contain  50% silver whilst those minted before 1920 are 92.5% silver ie Sterling silver.

Silver threepenny bits can therefore be either 50% or 92.5% silver depending on their date.

If you're interested in British coins then Tony Clayton's website is well worth a visit. http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/coins.html

On 2/21/2014 at 9:59 AM, DAVIDW said:

The 2009 Kew Gardens 50p is very collectable as only 210,000 were minted but beware because in 2019 the Royal Mint reissued it. They haven't said how many they minted so it's not clear if it will also be valuable. Just be aware.