Courtesy of PTP

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturethepast/jpgh_nottingham/NTGM000089.jpg

The more I see of PTP and the old photographs, the more I realise how indebted we are to Reg Baker. Without him and his trusty camera and bicycle, we would not have half of the memories of bygone Notts.

• Upvote 1

It is possible to imagine the PTP organisation today administering his photos Trevor! Army of clerks,administrators,and the like `working' due to the effort of 1 volunteer (Reg Baker).I met a similar chap(an old Mundellan) who had hundreds of pictures of St Annes area he had taken when I was looking for old pictures of Elm Grove on Blue Bell Hill. Hope he publishes them one day.

If you wish to see the Nottingham Council` at work' go to the windmill in Sneinton.1 person grinding corn dozens hanging around doing nothing.!

Indeed that may make a new topic Jon`s Idle Empire' Any examples ?

were you a regular there bernie? if so you would certainly remember the landlady edna, one of those formidable ladies who took no nonsense from anybody and made for a great atmosphere there.

she would regularly send out for bags of chips and cobs on saturdays, at her own expense. a true local legend! at one time i think her grandson was posting here.

• Like 1

Were you a regular there bernie? if so you would certainly remember the landlady edna, one of those formidable ladies who took no nonsense from anybody and made for a great atmosphere there.

she would regularly send out for bags of chips and cobs on saturdays, at her own expense. a true local legend! at one time i think her grandson was posting here.

I did go in there in the 80's, my uncle was a regular there and it was a good night out, but like all the others it's gone now.

• Like 1

I did go in there in the 80's, my uncle was a regular there and it was a good night out, but like all the others it's gone now.

yeah, the masons has the dubious honour of being the first pub i drank in that was knocked down!

• 9 months later...

Edna was brilliant,i remember her two sons who served there John and Rob (i think)and liz and big AL,80S SAT/SUN NIGHTS, Piano going and people getting up singing(not kaioke),Pianist Harry ex popular jazz player,when Harry not there it was Dennis from New Basford,never no bother just a great night

Believe it not after she retired from The Masons she got a job behind the bar at The White Swan, not sure how old she was then, was one of the quiet nights (mon-fri) so coped ok so long as not m

Ashley do you remember her dogs name//?

• 6 years later...
On 5/10/2013 at 4:32 PM, philby said:

were you a regular there bernie? if so you would certainly remember the landlady edna, one of those formidable ladies who took no nonsense from anybody and made for a great atmosphere there.

It was John and Richard, John didn't really serve there but Elizabeth, his wife  did on a Saturday night, Richard was my dad, he died in 1987, Edna died ten years later in 1997. I moved from Nottingham in the early 90's. 

Edna was a real special person, unfortunately, as a young tearaway, I never realised just how special, if we could bring one member of our family back, it's pretty much unanimous between 'the grandchildren' that Edna would be the one. Arthur, our grandad was a great bloke too, I always remember cleaning up his 1960 zephyr MK2 and turtle waxing it as a kid, stood on a pub stool to reach the roof and him standing on the pub steps smiling and admiring the job and saying "If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well".

I know that this reply is very late but it's the first time that I have seen the post.

Unfortunately, pubs like the Mason's arms are rare, then, and even more so now, but we have some great memories of the place, the boxing day wedding anniversary parties and customary late night lock ins that were common.

• Like 1

Remember your Dad passing Rich,,,lovely man,,,and Edna was beyond description great Lady,,glad you found these mentions.....Edna used to come into the lounge bar at closing time,,shouting the Dogs name very funny..........can you remember its name?

Reading the post about the Masons Arms and the landlady was Edna at first I thought you were on about The Masons Arms on Watnall Road bottom of Ruffs Drive in Hucknall, as the pub had the same name and the landladys name was Edna.

PS   A warm  welcome  bernie 2013

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 2:12 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Remember your Dad passing Rich,,,lovely man,,,and Edna was beyond description great Lady,,glad you found these mentions.....Edna used to come into the lounge bar at closing time,,shouting the Dogs name very funny..........can you remember its name?

Yes I remember his name, and him escaping and a local vicar asking my sisters the name of the dog that they were looking for.

I spent many happy hours at The Masons, most people that ventured through the doors did, Edna wasn't always the easiest person to live with but then neither am I, it's sad that the building was demolished and replaced with the soulless facade that now stands in its place, but then, if it was still there and operating as a pub, it would not be the same, it was the people that made it what it was, both behind the bar and in front of it. I can imagine that after having the run of the place for so many years that it would almost be like a dream where things aren't quite right, it would have been nice to show my wife as she often hears us talking about the place. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Welcome Dawn, I recall a couple of Nott's females called Dawn, love to hear more about your blues rock memories!

What pub''s & bands do you recall?

Where did your Grandmother live?

A big wecolme Dawn keep posting your memories. 

Conga you say Dawn? Was it this little ditty?

Let’s all do the conga, let’s all do the conga, la la la la, 

Let’s all do the conga, let’s all do the conga, la la la la,

Let’s all do the conga, let’s all do the conga, la la la la

Used to love doing that in the old TrentEnd before the seats.  U-REEEEEEDDS

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
On 5/4/2021 at 3:54 AM, Blues Rock Dawn said:

I miss my Grandma so much. Can anyone remember the song she used to get us singing around the streets whilst doing the conga on Boxing day at midnight and on New Years Eve....? 

Yes it was "F*** 'em all!" As in "Come on everybody, it's f*** 'em all time!"